A Pedestal Project for a Sable

Looks great! How does the mount attach to the pedestal? Do you have pics of your full trophy room? Thanks for sharing
 
I really like what you did. I have a question for the group though; can I convert a shoulder mount to a pedestal?
 
I really like what you did. I have a question for the group though; can I convert a shoulder mount to a pedestal?
I’ve converted wall pedestal mounts to a pedestal mount and see no reason a true shoulder mount can’t be converted.
 
My taxidermist converted my Scimitar horn oryx wall mount to a pedestal mount by covering the back of the form with leather and imbeding a 1/2" id square tube inside the form. The tube in the mount slides over a 1/2" square rod that is welded on a 1/2" dia wood screw that screws into the top of the pedestal.
Irn6wJ3l.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm envious of your woodworking skills. That looks amazing.
 
Thanks for the input. I'm running out of wall space.
 
There’s good business in making pedestals. I just paid $900 each for two almost identical to yours.
 
Hmmmm. Could be a fun side business. The first one is hard. A replica would be much easier & faster.
 
that looks great! I'm planning out my zebra pedestal now. he should be completed within the next month, gotta figure out what i want to do. I'm impressed by your geometry skills!
 
Looks great!

Do you have any additional pics of the kudu on the pedestal? Love the "barnwood" type look!
 
@Llano Estacado

The base is 20" per side. The top of the trapezoid part is 8" per side. The trapezoid is 34" high, which I set to put the eye of the sable even with the eye height of a 5'10" person. It works out to almost exactly 10 degrees. The top plate is 11"x11".

Approximately what is the height from the top of the trapezoid to the highest part of the horns? I'm considering getting a pedestal mount of my 2025 Sable, but am afraid it may not fit in the intended space.

1774280561718.png
 
I will measure it tonight and report back. :)
 
Excellent work! That all looks great!
 
@tydaws

It’s 83” from floor to top of horn, and it’s 33” from pedestal top to floor. So, the mount is about 50” in total height.
 
outstanding sable and mount. I also love the kudu and pedestal in the corner. Can you share pics of that mount specifically? sorry if i missed it but did you make that one as well? really beautiful pieces.
 
I did not do the cabinet for the kudu pedestal. It is a big, bulky, heavy thing, but it's pretty cool. That was my first African trophy many years ago and was before I got back into woodworking. I'll post some photos of it when I can find them.
 
How long were those Sables horns?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,316
Messages
1,572,681
Members
169,604
Latest member
GlenFairwe
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top