A Little Broadhead Testing

Ryan Wilson, I was too. A friend has used them with great success and as we both know, they aren't cheap. I still like them a lot, they did hold up well and they keep an great edge. My thoughts are that the greater amount of cutting surface they have may actually be detrimental under these circumstances. More surface contact is more friction on something hard like bone, whereas cutting flesh it may have an advantage. Just my guess.

That definitely makes sense. I have shot every one of the broadheads you tested and my results varied. The DRT planed on me past 30 yards. The Montecs are PHENOMENAL broadheads but I have had issues with the blood trails they leave (on great shots). I actually like Slick Tricks a lot and have seen good results in the past. I chose Solids due to the "lifetime warranty", the sharpness, their durability and the fact that I can shoot them out to 70 yards and they still fly just like a field point. After seeing these results though, Slick Tricks may find their way into my quiver. Thanks for posting!!

Slick Tricks are sharp and strong. I used a 150 gr Crossbow head. This one passed through an Eland at 20 yds. Shot out of my TenPoint Stealth NXT. The blades were intact and still fairly sharp.

IMG_20220101_080215_Bokeh.jpg
IMG-20210918-WA0014-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wounded my first eland with a high shoulder shot with a Magnus Stinger. Even though not a mortal shot the BH provided a blood trail till I could kill the animal with a rifle.

Second hunt for eland I killed with a one shot to the lungs. Buried the arrow to the fletching on a quartering away shot. Used a Woodsman Elite BH (125 gr. 3-blade vented). An eland is a thin skinned animal, but is simply large in size, but offers a large size target. They have great lung size and capacity to travel great distances with fast speed.

Best of luck on your hunt !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross