A game of inches

Chris Troskie is a top notch well respected outfitter.
I can see someone asking a below 50" an above 50" price as that is a good divide between the trophy East Cape Southern Greater starting at 40-41 and the Southern Greater starting at 50-51.these kudus are priced differently .

I don't agree with outfitters hunting kudu on a $/inch scale that's just not on in my books.

Let me state upfront that I personally am not in favor of the concept of being charged by the inch (or charging by the inch for that matter).

But the reality is that it is the prerogative of the landowner to charge what and how he wants for the animals on his property.

A 60" + kudu bull with breeding potential can easily reach $10 - 25K and even more on a wildlife auction... How many clients would be willing to pay that amount of money to hunt a kudu bull?

So the stance some landowners take is that they can either hold on to their large kudu bulls for later sale at game auctions at significant profit or allow them to be hunted at a premium. And with this in mind they introduced a tiered pricing structure. Some charge X for below 60" kudu and Y for above 60". Some break it down more and have pricing for <55", <60" and 60"<.

The questions are: "Where does this leave us as Outfitters? Should we refuse doing business with Landowners who charge by the inch? What if all Landowners started charging by the inch?"

Acquiring hunting rights on quality properties with quality game is one of our prime objectives and to refuse hunting a landowner's property because you don't agree with how he charges for one specific species doesn't make business sense. The same landowner who has a tiered pricing system for kudu might have other species with great trophy potential on quota at really reasonable prices... As Outfitter - I cannot tell a landowner that I will "buy" his whole quota available for the year with the exception of kudu. Because behind me there might be 5 other Outfitters in line willing to buy the entire quota and if I don't buy the quota I may lose the concession forever.

Many clients are happy with a good representative of the species but the vast majority of clients want the best possible specimen they can get and some have specific requirements such as: "at least 55" for kudu, 24" for Impala etc..."

A trademark of a good PH is to find his client the best possible specimen of the species his client is hunting. But If the Outfitter has a fixed price for Kudu and is charged per inch by the landowner it would make better financial sense to have the client shoot a smaller rather than bigger Kudu because he stands to make more money by shooting the smaller specimen as opposed to the larger one.:confused:

Let's say the landowner's asking price is $1,700 for a kudu under 55" and $2,000 for a bull larger than 55"... And let's say that in the market the Outfitter is targeting, potential clients would be prepared to pay $2,500 for a kudu bull but charging more could make the difference between a potential client's booking with him or choosing another Outfitter so he decides to charge a flat trophy fee of $2,500... Wouldn't it make sense for the PH to shoot the first 50" kudu bull he sees instead of waiting for a 55" bull? And wouldn't it make sense to pass up on the 58" bull you see on day 1 and wait for a <55"? What would those who "refuse to book with an Outfitter with a tiered pricing structure" do if they could choose between making $500 or $800 on a trophy?

Some of the landowners I deal with charge me a fixed price for kudu - irrespective of size. When I hunt on these properties I charge a fixed fee for kudu. Other landowners have introduced a tiered pricing structure and when I hunt on their land with clients a tiered fee is applicable. Clients who book with me are made aware of these facts from the outset and have a choice as to whether they want to hunt on land with a tiered trophy fee structure or not.

To semi-quote another Outfitter's response to a similar thread on another forum: "I might be able to buy a 2.2 liter diesel 2 wheel drive, single cab Ford Pick up for $15,000 but the 4X4 version with 4 doors that I need for my job sells for $40,000... Should I "refuse to do business with the dealer because he won't charge me $30,000 irrespective of whether I choose the 2 door or 4 door version? Both are Fords after all...:D:D:D"

now thats an honest no nonsense answer .
i bet you get more than a few return hunters .

Thanks for the reply Chris.
This wasn't a dig at you or your operation.

We are fortunate that this hasn't happened in the EC yet.
Your right though, if someone wants inches and wants to pay for it , go for it.
Just hate the new trend and how it will potentially affect the run of the mill hunter.

Thanks for the reply Chris.
This wasn't a dig at you or your operation.

We are fortunate that this hasn't happened in the EC yet.
Your right though, if someone wants inches and wants to pay for it , go for it.
Just hate the new trend and how it will potentially affect the run of the mill hunter.

Hey Dave,

No worries - I didn't perceive your post as a dig.

As said; personally I don't like tiered structures either. Quite the contrary...

I understand there are hunters who may be opposed to the concept and respect their decision for passing up outfitters with a tiered pricing structure.

But I also want to state that quality comes at a price... I have seen pictures of kudu bulls posted with great acclaim on forums such as these that I personally would have been too ashamed to publish - sometimes because the animals were of sub-standard trophy quality, sometimes because they were immature... As you will know the hunting industry is no different from other industries from the "what you pay is what you get" perspective...

I will also say this:

Not only landowners are to blame. Hunters obsessed with getting their names into the record books most certainly played a role in this too. Supply is fuelled by demand and if there is a demand for 60" Kudu bulls for hunters to see their names in the books there will be landowners happy to supply... at price...

One thing I know for sure is that if I were a client who could only afford $2,000 for a kudu bull I wouldn't want to be excluded from hunting kudu because the going rate for kudu was $3,500 irrespective of size. I'd rather settle for hunting a <55" bull at $2,000... In the same sense, if I had to pay $3,500 for a kudu bull I would most certainly not be happy with being guided to a 48 incher...

I am not a big fan of the inch game at all.But I do undestand an up charge for a 60 inch bull.As a client as long as I know up front I can understand it if your dream is a 60" bull and you want one you need to hunt were they are.The outfitter puts you there and you know the cost nothing wrong with it because you can say no and not hunt there.I dont like seeing the the inch scale when it gets to be ever few inches cost hundreds more like 52"is 2000 ,55 is 2500 and 58 is 3000 a then you see like 5000 for 60".On my next hunt one of the ranches has a up charge for a 60" kudu and 30" nyala I know the extra cost for each and I pick if I want to shot at one if seen.I also have more areas to hunt were there is no charge for size.Which ends up being more wrong a outfitter telling you that you have a chance at a 60" for $2000 on his place to get a hunt booked but he also knows there is no kudu there that size.Or he tells you he has a place but the cost for a 60" goes up to $3500 and they know they have a few there that size and you have a chance at what you really want.

I can definitely see an PH hunting a property and knowing what the tier system is an he charges a flat fee and calculates how much more money he or she can make if the client shoots a certain size kudu. Plenty of people hunt in Africa and don't know what is big and what is average. I'm not saying guys on this forum do it, but I know it happens enough. I try not to ruin anyone's trip to Africa, especially if they had a wonderful time with good memories.

who measures these animals? as a scorer for deer and moose I have seen many people get upset because they "enhanced" their score prior to getting it done officially.
I think if anyone was to go on a "inch" hunt it would do justice if they had some knowledge on how to score, at least that way there could be a discussion on what is or what isn't. I know I will be bringing my tape when I make the trip, for my own amusement. While I do score plenty of animals I have never entered any of mine as I don't need my name in a book, and not taking anything away from anyone who wants it

Usually the client, PH and landowner score the animal together and it's up to the client to make sure it's done right, which it is if the person was taught how to do it right.

Chris Troskie is a top notch well respected outfitter.
I can see someone asking a below 50" an above 50" price as that is a good divide between the trophy East Cape Southern Greater starting at 40-41 and the Southern Greater starting at 50-51.these kudus are priced differently .

I don't agree with outfitters hunting kudu on a $/inch scale that's just not on in my books.

That division opens up a whole different can of worms IMO. Instead of charging increasing amounts for different sizes of trophy bulls it insinuates charging less than trophy value for management (non-trophy) animals, a practice that is widely used bot in NA and Africa. I don't think anyone has a problem with management hunts and they are a great option for those who cannot afford trophy animals.

That division opens up a whole different can of worms IMO. Instead of charging increasing amounts for different sizes of trophy bulls it insinuates charging less than trophy value for management (non-trophy) animals, a practice that is widely used bot in NA and Africa. I don't think anyone has a problem with management hunts and they are a great option for those who cannot afford trophy animals.

I would be one of those who would be happy with a management animal. With this being my first African hunt I have no clue what is considered a trophy class animal and what is not. Quite frankly it doesn't matter to me all that much. I just hope to get specimens that are a good representative of the different species I am hunting. The fact that I am truly a beginner with judging trophy quality on game in Africa I will be absolutely relying on the skills of my PH when it comes to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.