AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
The price list of the hunt I am going on has several different price classes for Kudu depending on what length the horns are. Suppose you are out in the field and your PH knows you are looking for a certain size class of an animal, say a Kudu in the 51 to 55 inch class, and his estimate on the size of an animal is off an inch or so and you find yourself having shot one that is 56 inches. Would I be expected to pay the higher trophy fee for the oversized animal? I know it is tough to field judge an animals horns at 200 yards down to the inch, but the price difference on some of the larger trophies could be a budget buster for some. I was just curious what would be expected.

All depends if it's the outfitters property or someone else's. The Ph could say it may go over the size class, lets go shoot something else. Do you want to pass on a big kudu, I sure hope not, they don't grow on trees. Sometimes it pays to know how to measure a kudu too, some ph's are really good at it and others are not.

I don t like the idea of hunting with prices according to size, that can lead to misunderstandings and arguments both when judging the trophy, and when measuring it.

It is up to you and that outfitter / PH to come to an understanding beforehand.

I have a buddy who had a PH make a miscall on the trophy, a Kudu, thought is was larger than it was and the client shot it.

The client still pays. He shot it. Disappointed, a little, but he still had a trophy. He had discussed what he wanted and also questioned the size call, but when reassured by the PH is was a "big one" he shot it. Could he have cause for argument, sure.

Although, not a price increase, it was still a mistake. It can happen.

Make sure you are clear about agreements.

I have practiced and practiced trying to judge Kudu. It is still the hardest horns to judge accurately (for me).

I can readily understand your concern.

Make sure you have an understanding beforehand and DON'T SHOOT unless you are sure.

Good luck on your hunt.

Best advice I can give is study lots of kudu pictures before you go. I do and so do other people. If the kudu looks like your dream version of a kudu shoot it, if not pass. And don't dread a few inches, inches are just inches.

And pick a outfitter that thinks the way you think. There are some darn good guys out there that manage their properties for excellent kudu.

Some of the longest kudu have big curls and are starting a third curl. And look for mass. A massive kudu is usually a mature animal.

Definitely, as some have already said, determine what is to be paid for animals misjudged by the PH beforehand. As a rule I am sure most reputable PHs will stand by their judgement if you have stated no more than 55" and if they feel it is close they are likely to say it appears to be under but may be over and leave the call up to you. Few would trick you into shooting a larger animal to stick you with a higher bill, its simply not good for business.
I am not a proponent of the pay by the inch pricing but it seems that we are seeing it more and more these days like it or not.

All of this five was old and very old.Can someone judge the size?
Kudu hunting first is mature trophy not inches.

watermark.php

Attachments

• P7041897.jpg
    P7041897.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:
watermark.php

They are indeed really hard to judge. All three of these are within a few tenths of 54 inches. An old mature animal should be the goal.

I truly hope Southern Africa doesn't go the way of Europe . However, this price per class, medal, whatever is a disease of high fenced hunting. It is also becoming endemic in the whitetail factories in the US. It will be much harder to implement in low fence ranch country and in the conservancy/tribal areas where game is much scarcer.

Attachments

• DSC_0261.jpg
    DSC_0261.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 105

watermark.php

I just look at those curls on the the farthest right and say: YES!

Fully agree with you, to me it's the best one!

Agreed, longest, heaviest, coolest, a triple whammy of shoot first ask questions later.

I don t like the idea of hunting with prices according to size, that can lead to misunderstandings and arguments both when judging the trophy, and when measuring it.

Totally agree.
And I would not hunt a place they had a prize list according to size on the animal/s I wanted to hunt.
This is the main reason for why I haven't booked a Red stag and/or Fallow rut hunt with my bow in Hungary yet.

watermark.php

Wow, the one on the right is a dream bull! The one 2nd from right is very nice too.
If it looks good and you don't hesitate to shoot when you see it, then you have to be happy with your trophy. You may see bigger and have some remorse later, but one in the bag is better than two in the bush.
Also once it's in your trophy room there's not anything to compare to and it's going to look spectacular!
I'm hoping for a 55+, but 48-50 wouldn't break my heart either.

I am also not fond of the inches for dollars system of hunting and would normally avoid a hunt offered by an outfitter that worked that way. This safari was a prize I won at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation fund raising dinner so the company offering the prize, Warthog Safaris in South Africa, was not a choice I made. That being said every bit of information I have found on this outfit says it is a first class operation and for that I am very thankful. This is my first trip to Africa and it would not have been possible without their donation. A Kudu is not part of the donation and it is one of the animals I am considering as an add on from their normal price list. I figure this may be a once in my life deal, (I Know, I Know one you go you will go again!!!!) so I need to make the best of it. Hmmmm......whats the going rate for selling your first born these days.

Totally agree.
And I would not hunt a place they had a prize list according to size on the animal/s I wanted to hunt.
This is the main reason for why I haven't booked a Red stag and/or Fallow rut hunt with my bow in Hungary yet.

I am also not fond of the inches for dollars system of hunting and would normally avoid a hunt offered by an outfitter that worked that way. This safari was a prize I won at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation fund raising dinner so the company offering the prize, Warthog Safaris in South Africa, was not a choice I made. That being said every bit of information I have found on this outfit says it is a first class operation and for that I am very thankful. This is my first trip to Africa and it would not have been possible without their donation. A Kudu is not part of the donation and it is one of the animals I am considering as an add on from their normal price list. I figure this may be a once in my life deal, (I Know, I Know one you go you will go again!!!!) so I need to make the best of it. Hmmmm......whats the going rate for selling your first born these days.

There are many reputable outfitters offering hunts on this system, either by their own choice of by the imposition of the landowners of their hunting grounds. The fact that they charge like this should in no way cast suspicion of their integrity. If the Kudu price is bothering you, why not contact the PH and try to negotiate a price that you can both live with or agree to strike it off the list if it is too much for you. It never hurts to ask and obviously Kudu is important enough to you to spend some time contemplating despite it being a bit out of reach, the worst he can say is no.

There are many reputable outfitters offering hunts on this system, either by their own choice of by the imposition of the landowners of their hunting grounds. The fact that they charge like this should in no way cast suspicion of their integrity. If the Kudu price is bothering you, why not contact the PH and try to negotiate a price that you can both live with or agree to strike it off the list if it is too much for you. It never hurts to ask and obviously Kudu is important enough to you to spend some time contemplating despite it being a bit out of reach, the worst he can say is no.
True,landowners have different prices on different sizes.I try and keep to a one price system as far as possible.Buffalo also have this problem,above #40 being much more expensive,but one can always try negotiating.

Is this a well known outfitter ?
I don't really know of any well know outfitters doing this!
Regards
Dave

Regards
Dave

Dave, If it is the scales pricing you are referring to, I have witnessed this creeping in to trophy prices and offers from RSA and Zimbabwe.
Elephants and Buffalo, Kudu, Nyala, pricing per pound and per inch.

I personally avoid it. I am no where near good enough to judge down to the inch.

Regards
Dave

I have seen quite a few advertised and although he doesn't advertise or normally charge it. I was on a hunt where we went to a new property and the owner wanted $6500 for a bull over 60" so before we went there my PH, Chris Troskie, informed me so I could be aware in the event we saw one. Chris normally has a fixed price and the rest of his prices never wavered but when the landowner says $$$ its $$$ and as long as that is known ahead of time I see nothing dishonest or disreputable about it. I don't agree with It but I don't really have any say in it either, my choice whether is to shoot or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross