A Funny Thing Happened on my way to Dinner…

WAB

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I was recently in London for the annual gunmakers dinner. I stay with friends in the trade when I’m in London. We had some time before the dinner so we stopped by Hatfield House to visit Carl Russell’s shop.

Image1700771660.465923.jpg

Image1700770527.768396.jpg

Image1700770547.360442.jpg

Carl is a respected gunmaker in his own right, and his shop reflects his passion for the sport and trade.

I’ve been on the lookout for a solid Birmingham gun. I was chatting with Carl about what I was looking for, and as it turned out he had just taken three guns in from an estate. Two were not to his standard, but the third, as it turned out, was exactly what I was after. The price was such that there was no negotiation at all.

Image1700770971.145884.jpg

As you can see, it’s a Thomas Bland in classic game gun configuration. Don’t let the address fool you, although they had a London shop, the gun is a solid Birmingham boxlock.

Carl is stripping the gun and giving it a thorough going over. Buying from someone of his reputation and capability takes a lot of the risk out of an older gun.

This is the third firearm I have brought in from the UK. The other two I handled myself with a simple Form 6 and carry home. Changes in BATF requirements have made this no longer possible. It is still quite simple, and I had the US import permit within 24 hours. We are now waiting on the UK export permit. In the interim, a good friend, who is an engraver on the Gunmakers assessment panel, is engraving our family coat of arms on the stock oval.

I’ll provide an update on final import costs and timing. At a high level, the total import cost will be sub $1k and timing is likely to be about two months.

Elegance and beauty! Congrats!

Reactions: WAB
beautiful!!! caliber?

12 ga, 2 3/4” proof. Designed for the 1 1/16 oz British game load. I will be shooting 3/4 oz hand loads that I developed years ago.

This seems like a classic “take what the bush gives you” sort of moment. Congratulations.

Nice gun. Was it originally 2 3/4” chambers?

I think the name/address on the case may indicate it is after 1936. I believe Woodcock Hill in the US may have the Bland records.

I think the name/address on the case may indicate it is after 1936. I believe Woodcock Hill in the US may have the Bland records.

They do. They’re handling the import and digging up the records.

I was just walking down the street to a regular dinner and BAM! I ended up with a fine vintage shotgun!

I love it, merry Christmas to you when it arrives!

Exquisite - acquisition and taste.

I was just walking down the street to a regular dinner and BAM! I ended up with a fine vintage shotgun!

I love it, merry Christmas to you when it arrives!

Thanks Aaron. The stars are aligning for the purchase of classic game guns. I am cautiously optimistic that I may actually be able
to purchase a London Best as so many are being sold in the transition to steel shot. I am fortunate in that I am over there frequently and know where to look.

Thanks Aaron. The stars are aligning for the purchase of classic game guns. I am cautiously optimistic that I may actually be able
to purchase a London Best as so many are being sold in the transition to steel shot. I am fortunate in that I am over there frequently and know where to look.
What would the best guess ETA on it being stateside?

I have the owner of the production records digging it up.
Keep us posted. I know next to nothing about these British SxS shotguns, but am fascinated by the craftsmanship and art of the whole thing.

What would the best guess ETA on it being stateside?

The US import permit was issued inside 24 hours. The UK permit is up to 28 days, mid December. With the holidays, mid-January is realistic to have it in hand.

Keep us posted. I know next to nothing about these British SxS shotguns, but am fascinated by the craftsmanship and art of the whole thing.

I don’t claim to be an expert, but I have friends who are in the trade which takes a lot of risk out of the equation. My expertise is much more focused on shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carlo74371

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.