Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
I've *never* been a liver-n-onions kinda guy. I love chicken gizzards, chicken and beef hearts, beef kidney, pork spleen, and beef pancreas sweetbreads. But liver I have always detested. Until today.

I used Steve Rinella's recipe to cook up some venison liver, and I gotta say I was very pleasantly surprised by both the texture and the flavor. I've got a few more in the freezer, will cook them up as well.

Just in case you're interested: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/liver-and-onions-recipe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.19 AM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.20 AM.png
    957.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.21 AM.png
    418 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.44.23 AM.png
    987 KB · Views: 66
Venison liver is the best liver out there. In my hunting group it goes unsaid that if you shoot a deer and have to leave it to get help that you bring the liver out. It's also known that if you don't like liver that you bring it back to those who do. We have even been known to scavenge a gut pile of a fairly fresh kill to get the liver.

I didn't look at the recipe but we will season and flour the liver and brown it in oil then add lots of onions. Once the onions are tender we will lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer it for 30 to 45 minutes before serving.

Did I mention that I love venison liver?

Venison liver is the best liver out there. In my hunting group it goes unsaid that if you shoot a deer and have to leave it to get help that you bring the liver out. It's also known that if you don't like liver that you bring it back to those who do. We have even been known to scavenge a gut pile of a fairly fresh kill to get the liver.

I didn't look at the recipe but we will season and flour the liver and brown it in oil then add lots of onions. Once the onions are tender we will lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer it for 30 to 45 minutes before serving.

Did I mention that I love venison liver?
Rinella's recipe is pretty straightforward. Saute the onion rings in lard or bacon grease until translucent, then caramelize them, then set them aside. cut the liver into strips, soak it in cold water with lemon juice in the fridge for a couple hours. then dry it off, S&P to taste, cook on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes/side.

My moms favorite dish was liver and onions, i never could get past the smell.
Does it smell better than the normal ?
Yes, it just smelled like meat being sauteed. It could be the soak in water/lemon juice in the fridge for a few hours, too.

We don't even bother soaking it.

On a young deer we might slice it close to 1/2 " thick.

One key thing is to slice it against the grain. I bought a calf liver once and the stupid butcher had cut its with the grain. That one came out with very small pieces.

I also hate liver, and will not eat it. However, I tried fried liver in SD, and I was hooked. That is the only liver I eat. LOL. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Impala liver is a camp delicacy, eaten as a snack with a beer before dinner. Dust with flour, add salt and pepper and fry in a little oil, not butter or it is too rich and you wont eat your mains!

Growing up we always had ‘hunters breakfast’ on the farm in Limpopo during the hunting season- diced liver cooked in brown sauce and served with pap. I remember once eating a piece of liver with a perfect arrow broad-head cut though it from a shot I had shanked terribly.

did you add the splash of bourbon listed as optional in the recipe?

Some of the best braised deer meat I've ever had some done with equal parts butter, bourbon and whorcheshire sauce.

While you are all testing the liver, check out doing the kidneys the same way, sliced and fried - had fresh moose kidneys last fall, just hours fresh. Talk about a rich meal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!