A 1916 Erfurt Small Ring project

That is a nice piece of wood, I believe your words were "a superb piece of wood showed up today." How did you acquire it?
Blanks like that just don't "show up." What are the similarities & differences between this action and the action on a Swedish Mauser?

A good friend of mine in the US aquired a retiring gunsmiths stock of blanks or about 9 of them anyway and he traded this one to me for making him a Lee Speed styled stock for his #1 Mk3 Lee Enfield so we both had a win. The Lee Speed stock is not generally available in the US but I make quite a few here in New Zealand and have sent 4 to the US so far.
This action is the same as the G33-40 and other small ring 98 actions in that it has the third lug on the bolt so in effect has the safety standards of all 98 actions but has the small ring but not the lightening cuts in the side rails.

It sounds like you have two projects going simultaneously, this one and the Mannlicher style stock. Is stock making your full time job, or just an avocation?

I am a retired builder so this is just what I do to enjoy my retirement. It just happenned that a friend bought the precarve mannlicher stock at the same time that I got the action and blank for my 6.5.

Do you live in New Zealand or Australia?

I got the left side extended flag safety and the talley qd rings in the mail this morning so mounted the scope to see how it looked. I had intended to fit a m8 6x Leupold but there was none available here so I bought a 3-9 Nikon instead. I have a few other Nikons and like them a lot and at just 13 ox the complete package weighs in at 7 1/2 lb so still a portable hill rifle. I can cycle the bolt with the lens covers on with good clearance, so getting the bolt fitted the way I did has worked a treat. It still has the oberndorf look I wanted but allows for the lowest Talley rings and no scollop out of the bolt handle to ugly things up..

Attachments

• Photo3141_zpsw7nxp8jk.jpg
    Photo3141_zpsw7nxp8jk.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo3140_zps3mteonzv.jpg
    Photo3140_zps3mteonzv.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:
Now that, is a nice looking rifle.

What is your next project?

Nothing in the works at the moment. I have no plans for anything else for myself unless a nice little martini action comes knocking at my door so I can rebarrel for my 20 VarTarg that is at present on a Rem X R 100 action. A light walkabout rabbit rifle would be nice in the gun cabinet (and on the hill). There will probably be another mauser to do at some stage as I have a friends blank here for when he gets the urge to complete another of the projects he has sitting in wait. I really like doing the Lee Speed styled sporters but dont have any lined up for now.

Very nice work Von Gruff. Would like to see what you do with the Mk 3 as well.

Very nice work Von Gruff. Would like to see what you do with the Mk 3 as well.

If you are asking about the Lee Speed styled rifles I have only done one for the#1 Mk3 action and that went to the US. All the rest have been on the pre 1903 Long Lee action (Long Tom)
Here is a sampling of the ones I have done
Mine in 303

My 400 (slightly shortened 405 Win

This went to the US and is being rebored to 375

A # 1 Mk 3 pattern stock that went to the US

A 375 and the 400 starting out

The 375 finished

and a few more being worked on

Attachments

• Photo1597_zpsb66fe9ce.jpg
    Photo1597_zpsb66fe9ce.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 3 Euans 375-303_zpssfwze0hh.png
    3 Euans 375-303_zpssfwze0hh.png
    484.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 4 Lee Speeds_zpsfaiudxxq.png
    4 Lee Speeds_zpsfaiudxxq.png
    889.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 400 LS_zpstzibxghn.png
    400 LS_zpstzibxghn.png
    663.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Photo2414_zpsgieyneye.jpg
    Photo2414_zpsgieyneye.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Photo2430_zpsgv3yqbyb.jpg
    Photo2430_zpsgv3yqbyb.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Photo2214_zpsy8zgbms2.png
    Photo2214_zpsy8zgbms2.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 189
Exceptional, each and every one, classic lines. I really enjoy a gun that the builder has taken pride in finishing.

Those Lee speeds are lovely I learnt to stalk with one wish I'd never let it go young and stupid I guess. Been looking for a replacement in the background for years.

Seriously spend a little time and you'll be able to chequer those stock with ease.

While I am waiting for the metal work to be done I decided that I would need a couple of things to go with this rifle and the first of these is a cartridge holder that would also have a pocket to safely carry the aperture sight if it was off the rifle.
I didn't have enough leather to do it all out of the one colour and thickness but found a couple of pieces that would do the job.
Having cut out the pieces it is time to start.

I made a base and awl some time back that I can slip onto my Sinclair arbor press so I can use it as a mechanical awl to do all the holes

And after a bit of sewing it looks like it will perform the required tasks as expected.

Attachments

• Photo3156_zpseei25ld4.jpg
    Photo3156_zpseei25ld4.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Photo3157_zps160il2h0.jpg
    Photo3157_zps160il2h0.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Photo3158_zpsytbq2qaa.jpg
    Photo3158_zpsytbq2qaa.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Photo3159_zpsmq9xmfxw.jpg
    Photo3159_zpsmq9xmfxw.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Photo3160_zpsexziefwe.jpg
    Photo3160_zpsexziefwe.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 177
Very nice. You are a talented & skilled man. I've really enjoyed keeping up with this project.

I still have a scope bag, a knife and a rifle case to do for it yet

OK. I've got more to look forward to.

I got an email fro the GS this afternoon so it will be at least another week I expect.

I have received the barrel from the engravers and was not that impressed with the calibre engraving, however I went ahead and blued it but it annoyed me so it is back at the engravers to have a Germanic font used for the calibre and I will reblue again.

Just home from the gunsmith with my metalwork so tomorrow will see it all together in the stock. I have one small inlet to do so then I can get on to the case , the knife and the scope bag.
While I was at the GS I picked up the metalwork for a G33-40 I am doing a mannlicher stock for. I got in a few really nice bolt handle from Talleys, one of which went on my 6.5x57 and one replaced the badly bubba'd one n the G33-40
I did stop in at a couple friends on the way and picked up a BSA Hunter to restock and a lovely little BSA 22 with stock damage to rectify. Having a few more knives to do for family I dare say thata the next few weeks will be fairly busy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross