9.3X62 for Cape Buffalo?

My M77 Hawkeye "Lipsey's Edition African" came with a 1:10 twist 24" barrel.

Why? dunno...
Wow, 1:10 is a fast twist for the 9.3...but Ruger is known for having faster twists, which is better I think. However, it is the first 1:10 I heard off for the 9.3, but if you want to shoot the heavy bullets it is the way to go....you might have issues stabilizing the lighter bullets, lighter than 225 grain, but the 9.3 was never mended to shoot those. If issues with the lighter and faster bullets then due to a faster twist rate, it can just be loaded down if handloading, but I am for a faster twist....various companies had huge losses in the past due to barrel twists that were too slow. Currently, the 7mm caliber has issues with some companies making them with a 1:10 or 1:9.5 twist, then it becomes difficult to stabilize the heavier 175 grain and up bullets....where others have the 1:8-1:8.5 twist which is better and stabilize all the different weights available...In the .35 calibers, we had it where some companies made their rifles with a 1:14 twist.....where 1:12 is the ideal if you want to stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets...I guess we will be all on the same page on this at some point.... :D

I do have one 35 cal with a 1:10 twist barrel. Shoots very well. Remington produced their Whelen with a 1:16 twist from memory. Mine was very accurate but anything heavier than a 250 grain bullet and it was in trouble. Might explain why some long for calibre 250 grain pills did not shoot to well.

I had done the 'ol dowl rod calculation and then called Lipsey's to confirm, and they said yes, indeed it's a 1:10 twist barrel. However, no one there could recall why they spec'd that twist.

In any case, I have a box of 300 grain A-Frames that I'll eventually get around to handloading, perhaps 2,300 fps....??? Dunno right now.

I do have one 35 cal with a 1:10 twist barrel. Shoots very well. Remington produced their Whelen with a 1:16 twist from memory. Mine was very accurate but anything heavier than a 250 grain bullet and it was in trouble. Might explain why some long for calibre 250 grain pills did not shoot to well.
@Rule 303
My Whelen is a 1 in 12 twist and handle everything from pistol bullets to 310 grains
Bob

RWS stopping Vollmantel 9,3mm with Nickel steel jacket was a bad move, well known as one of best fmj of them all.

Think they the ones I referred to somewhere that I used in my 9.3x74r...looked like new afterwards....apart from rifling marks nothing else

Standard European twist is 1-14.2"! Both my 9.3x62 & my 9.3x74R have this twist They all shoot 320gn Woodleigh bullets accurately!!
Only reason I can see that twist rate as being to slow would be a 320 monometal as that would be some what longer. Now I doubt the 320 mono will be made.

Only reason I can see that twist rate as being to slow would be a 320 monometal as that would be some what longer. Now I doubt the 320 mono will be made.
If 1:14 works for you, great!
I found this article on barrel twist rates very interesting:

If 1:14 works for you, great!
I found this article on barrel twist rates very interesting:

That is a good read. Thanks for posting.

Use Federal’s 286Gr Swift A Frame load. Although nothing modern, RWS’s 293Gr Uni Classic load (basically a copy of the Brenekke TUG bullet) is also a very potent Cape buffalo and plains game cartridge.

Use Federal’s 286Gr Swift A Frame load. Although nothing modern, RWS’s 293Gr Uni Classic load (basically a copy of the Brenekke TUG bullet) is also a very potent Cape buffalo and plains game cartridge.
Yup. And if you can't get Federal's (I know I can't find any) take a look at Swift's own load.

I took a nice Maasailand buffalo years ago with a 286 Woodleigh solid out of a Valmet/Tikka 12/9,3X74R BBF. I'd have no trouble using the newer great bullets we have now in a 9,3X62. I've shot some 320s through my Husqvarna 9,3X62 and found they stabilized adequately, but I see no practical advantage to them. A 286-300 grain in the right spot works fine in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with the German 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R for buffalo. The effectiveness is in the bullet used and the operators competance....yes there are legal requirements but the ability of the cartridge rests solely on the shooter...great caliber both of them

Here is a post from earlier today. Right up this treads alley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniseDapl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross