9.3x62 build

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am in the process of getting a 9.3x62 built. Have used this smith to build a number of guns. He has not built a 9.3 before. I would like to be able to seat the bullets out a bit to gain a little case volume. Who should we talk to, or where can we get a 9.3 reamer that has a good freebore.

We could take some measurements off of some bullets to figure it out but because they are scarce we only could get a couple to try.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Jamie,

What action will you use? A normal M98 action, slightly lenghtened for a 30-06 cartridge, even totally adequate for the 9,3x62 is somewhat limited at the lenght to gain all the volume from the case the standard 9,3x62 CIP chamber. That dimentions include a veeery long freebore. So, the freebore is almost never the limiting factor! The magazine is.
To me, two of the best Mauser type actions for a 9,3x62 are the BRNO ZKK 600 or the almost identical standard lenght CZ550 . They have a magazine of around 90 mm, long enough to gain all the case volume the standard 9,3x62 chamber allows.

Good luck!

CF

Hi Jamie,

What action will you use? A normal M98 action, slightly lenghtened for a 30-06 cartridge, even totally adequate for the 9,3x62 is somewhat limited at the lenght to gain all the volume from the case the standard 9,3x62 CIP chamber. That dimentions include a veeery long freebore. So, the freebore is almost never the limiting factor! The magazine is.
To me, two of the best Mauser type actions for a 9,3x62 are the BRNO ZKK 600 or the almost identical standard lenght CZ550 . They have a magazine of around 90 mm, long enough to gain all the case volume the standard 9,3x62 chamber allows.

Good luck!

CF

The first one will be on a Remington 700 so I will have all the length that I can use. Down the road I would like to build one on a crf action.

I have one that I could lend you. I have used it for 4 builds and it allows a good freebore and seating bullets to the length of the magizine. Send me a PM and we can make arrangements.

Thank you very much. I plan to build at least 3 as I have 3 barrels on the way now. It is now a legal round for deer in Iowa. And I thought it would be a little off the beaten path of normal here. More interesting than the 35 Whelen. (Sorry Bob) Can double as a deer rifle and go to Africa to shoot a buffalo. I talked to Pacific Tool and they are going to try to get me a reamer in 5 weeks. If it gets here then it should be fine. If it gets to be longer then that I may take you up on using yours for the first one. Thanks again.

Hi Jamie,

Yes, the Rem 700 has all the magazine lenght you need. If you are going to order a reamer, I sugest to ask for one with the European CIP chamber standard dimentions, with that long freebore present in the European 9,3x62 rifles, and the 9,3x64 - 9,3x74 by the way.
This is the link to the 9,3x62 CIP page.
Good luck!

CF

Attachments

• tabical-en-page69.pdf
    98.8 KB · Views: 57
As you can see, the rifling starts at 28 mm from the neck. More than 1"....!!
This is the way I load the cartridges for my 9,3x62 in my ZKK 600 rifle:

Puntas-9-3-2.jpg
Puntas-9-3-3.jpg
Puntas-9-3-4.jpg

Due to the rather short neck of 9,3x62 cases, less than 1 caliber, I like to define the OAL with a full contact between bullets and case neck, no mater the OAL allowed by the magazine and/or freebore,

Good luck!

CF

Last edited by a moderator:
In my zastava
the maximum magazine length was the limiting factor. The longest bullet I have is the 250gr Barnes TTSX (much longer than most 286 gr bullets). The longest bullet made is probably the 286 Barnes TSX. Even the nosler 286gr brass solid is shorter than the 250TTSX.

250TTSX
max mag length: 3.390”
OAL at lands: 3.465”
At 3.465” I don’t know how much shank is left in the neck due to the long boat tail and the grooves on the shank.
When seated to 3.365” OAL I got 2645fps with 65gr CFE223

In my zastava
the maximum magazine length was the limiting factor. The longest bullet I have is the 250gr Barnes TTSX (much longer than most 286 gr bullets). The longest bullet made is probably the 286 Barnes TSX. Even the nosler 286gr brass solid is shorter than the 250TTSX.

250TTSX
max mag length: 3.390”
OAL at lands: 3.465”
At 3.465” I don’t know how much shank is left in the neck due to the long boat tail and the grooves on the shank.
When seated to 3.365” OAL I got 2645fps with 65gr CFE223
@112Savage
That is going to put a big pile of hurt on anything you hit and drive deep
Bob

I guess I wasn’t thinking clearly. max length with the more aerodynamic bullets will be longer than the Round nosed bullets, but the lands will be contacted at a shorter OAL with something like the swift A-frame 300gr. So I guess we need to know which bullet you’re wanting to maximize performance with.

just an interesting note, the Norma Alaska bullet despite its semi-spitzer shape doesn’t hit full diameter until the last 1/3rd of the bullet shank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.