9.3 x 62 and the 320 grain Weldcore

@Red Devil
Can't blame Woodleigh it's your stevedores that are the problem.
Bob
Too bad they didn't have the foresight to have all of that shipped through the Panama Canal and up to Houston. We're actually working here.

@Red Devil
There should be no shortages of Woodleigh in the US. There is a few hundred thousand sitting on a ship waiting to be unloaded according to Sandra @ Woodleigh.
Bob

... and MidwayUSA canceled my back-order... Nine? months after placing it, and a month before it is due in.

Have a "dinger" on it, if/when it comes in.

Suspect they want to jack the price as well.

May have to have a word w/ ole Larry.

Red

... and MidwayUSA canceled my back-order... Nine? months after placing it, and a month before it is due in.

Have a "dinger" on it, if/when it comes in.

Suspect they want to jack the price as well.

May have to have a word w/ ole Larry.

Red
The Woodleigh factory burned to the ground in December. Geoff may not restart operations, in fact last I heard, he said he won't.

The Woodleigh factory burned to the ground in December. Geoff may not restart operations, in fact last I heard, he said he won't.

Knew that.

But the order has supposedly been in transit for over nine months.

That bullet was the only one available for back-order at the time.

The 286's came and went.

Will see what happens next month.

Huntington's advertises them, but have not confirmed status.

Red

Norma 325 is always an option. They're almost always in stock at Midway.

Only thing I can think was their destination was Long Beach, and we know how things have been going on the left coast.

All that to say I wouldn't be too quick to jump on Potterfield. With the way this world has gone in the last 2 years, could be anybody or anything

Fair chance that the back order was based on the word of his supplier, who got the good word from the shipper, who got the word from the middle man in Long Beach...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 8.32.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 8.32.07 AM.png
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 8.32.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 8.32.09 AM.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 79
Norma 325 is always an option. They're almost always in stock at Midway.

Only thing I can think was their destination was Long Beach, and we know how things have been going on the left coast.

All that to say I wouldn't be too quick to jump on Potterfield. With the way this world has gone in the last 2 years, could be anybody or anything

Fair chance that the back order was based on the word of his supplier, who got the good word from the shipper, who got the word from the middle man in Long Beach...

Would only push the issue if they cancelled my back-order to, then, raise the price when they come in.

If it's same/same, had two boxes on order anyway, so will just pick them up then.

As for the Norma heavies... they would be the same protected point toughness as the 285 gr., which I have, but at a lower velocity, and therefore more susceptible to restricted expansion.

The 320 Weldcores, however, w/ their round nose, would initiate expansion sooner and better at the lower velocities, which, for the 9.3x62, also happens to be the engineered velocities for that bullet.

Generally a very good fit for a < 200 yd. "stopping" round.

Red

Would only push the issue if they cancelled my back-order to, then, raise the price when they come in.

If it's same/same, had two boxes on order anyway, so will just pick them up then.

As for the Norma heavies... they would be the same protected point toughness as the 285 gr., which I have, but at a lower velocity, and therefore more susceptible to restricted expansion.

The 320 Weldcores, however, w/ their round nose, would initiate expansion sooner and better at the lower velocities, which, for the 9.3x62, also happens to be the engineered velocities for that bullet.

Generally a very good fit for a < 200 yd. "stopping" round.

Red
You've hit on the operative point, Red; Woodleigh RN and PP are engineered to perform within specific velocity ranges (regardless of caliber) and that info is listed in their Manual. Load within the recommendations, and you're good to go. ALL of Geoff's research is in the field, done by himself and knowledgeable hunters, on live game; none of this ballistic gelatine or pine boards cr*p. So sad that they might not restart, but there it is. Best of luck, Mate

Circling back on the .366/320 gr. Weldcore SP/9.3x62 load.

Thinkin'bout a woods/thickets/alders round.

Pleased w/ the Speer 270 gr. for N/A general use, and have both Norma Oryx and Swift A-Frames in the 285-6 gr. wt. as a heavy load.

But this 320 gr. bonded round nose SP is intriguing as a lower velocity "stopping round".

View attachment 413435

They are reasonably priced and available, compared to the current prices of Oryx/A-Frame/NP/etc.

So, would appreciate any comments/concerns/suggestions RE: this load.

TIA

Red
as im the one that did the test and the pictures that will have been a great idea to post the link where you found it. i did a lot of testing for different bullets. the way you presented it seems it was yours ...
phil

Yeah, stocked up on the Speer bullets during the rebate a while back, and, w/ the HDY bullets for 286 gr. load development... I want for nought.

But that 320 gr. Weldcore looks like it brings somethin' special for a stopping round.

S.D. of .341 is crazy.

The 325 gr. Oryx as well, but, like the 285 gr., maybe a little too much expansion for the job.

Red
Another option would be looking at Hawk bullets. They are offered with different jacket thickness to match the bullet to the game you intend to hunt.. When I get back from my hunt in Namibia this May I'm going to obtain some from Hawk and do some load development to see how they preform.

Hello Red. Interesting bullet. I've looked at them but have thought if I needed a heavier bullet that was what my 375 was for. but to think about it not much difference between 286 and 300 grains. Matter of fact the 286 has slightly better sectional density and penetrates deeper. If you do some load development and shooting tests I would be interested in the results. As for now I've been trying to locate some Woodleigh Hydro solids for the 9.3. I like them in 375 but the 9.3 is fast beoming my favorite medium bore rifle.
I thought every 9.3 owner was TRYING to put them up into the application range of the 375...

I thought every 9.3 owner was TRYING to put them up into the application range of the 375...
Steve, I guess some folks look at it that way. Myself, I've got a soft spot for medium bore rifles. Like fine wine, one is richer having a selection of various vintages to choose from. LOL!

Steve, I guess some folks look at it that way. Myself, I've got a soft spot for medium bore rifles. Like fine wine, one is richer having a selection of various vintages to choose from. LOL!
@Rick HOlbert
Mate someone told me you like your women like your wine as well.
A selection of different vintages from 20 year old and wild up to a reasonable age that is tamed down a bit but still with some fire and nice to snuggle up to at night .
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Another option would be looking at Hawk bullets. They are offered with different jacket thickness to match the bullet to the game you intend to hunt.. When I get back from my hunt in Namibia this May I'm going to obtain some from Hawk and do some load development to see how they preform.
Do you have load data for Hawk? I reached out to them, seems like the data for the Woodleigh 320 would work, they said back off 10% on account of their bullets being pretty soft.

@Rick HOlbert
Mate someone told me you like your women like your wine as well.
A selection of different vintages from 20 year old and wild up to a reasonable age that is tamed down a bit but still with some fire and nice to snuggle up to at night .
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Bob that's a nasty rumor started somewhere, eh.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Do you have load data for Hawk? I reached out to them, seems like the data for the Woodleigh 320 would work, they said back off 10% on account of their bullets being pretty soft.
Zim, no I don't have data for them but they gave you good info. Compared to other bullets they may seem soft but they hold together from what I've been told. Seems to be very good bullets.

For the same wt., judgin' by the cannelure location, would suspect the same.

Just more penetration into the powder space.

Which, again, would favor the LD prospects of the RN.

Red
About the cannelure...in my experience, it's more of a suggestion on seating depth. When I reload Hornady bullets, the cannelure is well above the mouth. 9.3 is such a forgiving round, as long as it fits in the magazine and comes up even a skosh short of the lands, they'll shoot with a good degree of precision.

It has been a while since I did LD for my 9.3 with Hornady 286 and Varget, but if you seat the bullets to the cannelure, you're really limited on the powder charge. Seems like anything north of about 56 or 57 grains, if you didn't crimp with the seating die, you were going to have problems.

9.3x62 is just begging for ball powders like 2000MR and Big Game, at least with 285 gr or heavier bullets. In my experience, I'd go so far as to say if you're using anything other than those 2 powders for 285/286 or heavier, you're doing it wrong, with RL17 being something of an exception.

I imagine if I did some experimenting with CFE223 or Win748, I'd probably add those as well. I've just completely given up on extruded stick powders for my 9.3. With 2000MR and Big Game, you should get NLT 2300 fps on any heavy bullet, and up to around 2500, without any pressure signs. I bet you could probably do that with CFE223 and Win748, I just haven't tried those with my 9.3. No real reason to from where I sit, as I have good loads for Hornady, Norma, Partition, and A Frame with 2000MR.

YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg