jeffpg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, Turkey, USA
Hey fellows, I just ran across this article written by Craig Boddington and thought it may be worth sharing with you all. I have only had the time to read his first couple of "reasons" but it looked to me like his usual no-nonsense, call it like I see it style that I have come to appreciate through the years. One thing for sure about the Colonel is that with over 50 African Safaris under his belt, he has truly been there & done that.

here's the link, hope ya enjoy:

8 Reasons Hunting Africa Ain't What it Used to Be - Petersen's Hunting

Jeffpg

Every year thing change, you just have to look at pheasant hunting in South Dakota as an example...The 50 and 60 were a hay day in birds and limits...then it went down to only a few weeks and a bird or 2 limit...

No difference in Africa...as the political landscape changes so does the country...more people less land for animals...you see the same near big cities in the USA where land development is present...

So, what s new, the world changes.

Compare Boddigton s experience with that of James Mellon, go back to Teddy Roosevelt, John Hunter, John "Pondoro" Taylor or Robert Foran.

Hunting around 1900 was nothing like today, however, we can t go back. And it will only get worse, less open spaces, more regulations, more ranch hunting.

Darwin - was right. This applies to animals and humans as well.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.

In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment.

The Cape Buffalo is considered by some to be the most dangerous of all of the Big Five in the world. While he seems docile enough when viewed undisturbed in the herd, when agitated or wounded this bovine can be extremely aggressive, vindictive, and cunning. Found all over southern Africa in varying sized herds, the Buffalo can weigh up to 1800 pounds. He is primarily a grazer but an occasional browser who must drink every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.