7x57 Whitetail Round

My son used PPU in his 6.5x55 last year to take his first whitetail. Quick kill but no exit wound, it's a very explosive bullet.

I have a lot of experience with 7x57 with 150 gr Nosler Partitions at about 2500 fps. Almost a perfect balance for velocity vs bullet performance on game from deer to elk.

Any factory 757 ammo will work fine on deer. Even the cheapest Aussie 120 gr copy of Barnes TSX. PPU's old style lead tip ensures great expansion. 'Used 'em in a 757AI for fireforming and they still shot under an inch.

my late father used a custom 98 mauser in 7x57 with hornady 154gr round nose bullets reloaded at 2500 fps with good results on a pile of deer and a few bear with no problems, most under 100 yards.

I’ve used PPU 139 grain soft point factory ammo in 6.5x55 on quite a few whitetails with no complaints. Velocity is pretty slow and the ammo is dirty but accuracy was excellent.

For deer and hogs under 200 lbs good old cup and core bullets such as PPU work just fine. They may not be match grade accurate but really for deer and hogs you don’t need MOA accuracy. Plus if you reload they make excellent brass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!