7MM Rem Mag

I have found some Barnes triple shox in 150 grain that I'm gonna try.

So I’m planning to go on a PG hunt next year. I want a two gun battery, so I’m planning on taking my 7mm Rem Mag and my 416 Rem Mag. My plan is to hunt Impala, Blesbuck, Warthog, Wildebeest, and Kudu with the 7mm. Save the 416 for Eland.

My bullet choices for the 7 are a bit limited because I’m not set up to hand load anymore. I have a few Federal Premium 160gr Partitions left. I bought some Barnes 150gr TTSXs and some 155gr Federal Terminal Ascent. Do you who have way more knowledge than I think one of these loads are sufficient for this task? Thanks in advance!!!

Those may do fine, but there are probably better choices. You might take a look at Barnes Triple Shock loads in 140 or 150. I will be taking a handloaded .284 Win in June using the 140gr Triple at 3000fps. Its a reliable bullet. But if you have faith in the loads you have been using go with them, if any doubt get something with a little better bullet. Bullets are not the place to save money. Africa is a long ways away and most cannot afford to go there every year.
I would agree with the 140gr TSX

I'm going to S.A. for plains game in May, and am trying to decide on which ammo I should use. I'm thinking I'm going to bring my trusty Rem 700 7mm Rem mag. I do not have the time or patience to reload, so I'll be going with factory loads. Any help would be greatly

The main species I'll be after are Kudu, Nyala, Impala, Warthog, Duiker. Depending on how things go, may end up in Limpopo for Gemsbuck, Blesbuck, Springbuck and Hartebeest
Now knowing that, I would recommend the Nosler 160 gr. Accubond load. I haven't taken my 7mm Rem Mag to Africa as I have taken taken my .300 Win with 200 gr. Accubonds and haven't seen any reason to change bullets. They worked great. Everything died within feet of where it was hit and all bullets exited. I have used 140 gr. Accubonds on mule deer and blacktails here in my 7 Mag and 7-08. Same story. My buddy took a big bull elk with the 160's at about 400 yards with his 7. I think these would do well for you.

So I’m planning to go on a PG hunt next year. I want a two gun battery, so I’m planning on taking my 7mm Rem Mag and my 416 Rem Mag. My plan is to hunt Impala, Blesbuck, Warthog, Wildebeest, and Kudu with the 7mm. Save the 416 for Eland.

My bullet choices for the 7 are a bit limited because I’m not set up to hand load anymore. I have a few Federal Premium 160gr Partitions left. I bought some Barnes 150gr TTSXs and some 155gr Federal Terminal Ascent. Do you who have way more knowledge than I think one of these loads are sufficient for this task? Thanks in advance!!!

Why take two rifles. Take the 7mm, it will be enough for what you want to hunt. If you feel the 7mm is not enough for the Eland, I'm sure there is a rifle you could rent in camp. Keep it simple, take one gun.

I have shot a lot of game of various sizes all over the world from Duiker all the way up to Red Deer, Elk, Roan and Eland with a 7MM Mag loaded with 168 Gr Nosler Accubond Long Range. The bullet has never let me down at close range or extended distances and it shoots 1/2 MOA out to 800+ yards in my rifle. Personally I hand load, but I think Nosler make factory ammo for that load.

Why take two rifles. Take the 7mm, it will be enough for what you want to hunt. If you feel the 7mm is not enough for the Eland, I'm sure there is a rifle you could rent in camp. Keep it simple, take one gun.
One my reasons for taking two rifles is that I suffer from being left handed and if I had an issue with one of my rifles, I’d have a backup. Plus these are the rifles that I’ll be practicing with.

One my reasons for taking two rifles is that I suffer from being left handed and if I had an issue with one of my rifles, I’d have a backup. Plus these are the rifles that I’ll be practicing with.
I’m a lefty and taking my custom 7Mag and my Sako 375 H&H. Long list and want to shoot a few with each. Leave in 56days for my first trip! Can’t wait!

Roy

8220AC94-68B6-487D-A740-260CF038C453.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a lefty and taking my custom 7Mag and my Sako 375 H&H. Long list and want to shoot a few with each. Leave in 56days for my first trip! Can’t wait!

Roy

Roy, Good luck on your first trip to Africa! I am sure you will have a great time and I suspect it will be the first of many! Excellent 2 gun battery for your first trip. Of course @PARA45 is correct, you can take just one gun and you can shoot most everything except the big heavy dangerous game with the 7MM Mag and you can shoot everything in Africa with the 375 H&H. But I too enjoy having a couple of different rifles with me when I go to Africa. Before I got the double rifle bug, my battery to Africa was a 7MM Mag and 375 RUM. Now I usually take the 375 RUM and one of my doubles.

Bill

I'm going to S.A. for plains game in May, and am trying to decide on which ammo I should use. I'm thinking I'm going to bring my trusty Rem 700 7mm Rem mag. I do not have the time or patience to reload, so I'll be going with factory loads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We shoot 160g Barnes with good success. My son has taken two zebra with his with one shot kills. Can't go wrong.

Roy
Now I'm a little envious! You're going on your first safari, and have so much to look forward to! You are going to have such a great time. This is a life changer!

Best wishes,

Doug

Yes. I haven’t shot the the terminal ascent in my 7 mag yet, but they have proved outstanding in the 30 cals I’ve shot them in. I would have no hesitation using the 155s on plains game

In my first PG i used one 7mmRM with federal trophy bonded bear claw 175 grains...., duiker, faco, red hetterbust, impala, ñu, grand kudu and oryx .....

I have the exact same rifle as you, I shoot 160 TSX and 160 Accubonds, have taken a lot of plains game with those bullets, including an Eland. I don't know how many whitetail, mule deer, antelope and coyote I have taken, but most all of them were one shot kills. I have several different types of 7mm bullets but all are 160 grain, which is the only grain bullet I will use.

Yes. I haven’t shot the the terminal ascent in my 7 mag yet, but they have proved outstanding in the 30 cals I’ve shot them in. I would have no hesitation using the 155s on plains game
I shot the TAs yesterday and they shot slightly better than the 150gr TTSXs. The TAs shot about .43” and the TTSXs shot .48” @ 100yds.

I am in no way an expert on bullet choices and lean on everyone here. However, in my research on the 7mm mag is that it seems the 160 gr bullets are a bit of a sweet spot for this gun related to trajectory and performance, on any game. That is what we will be looking to take as well in a few months, 160gr partitions (just because I have a ready supply of this bullet).

The 7mm will do just fine, I’ve shot up to waterbuck and kudu with 162 grain Hornady . If taking the 7 mag just shoot the heaviest bullet your rifle shoots well and is of good construction.

I don't know what to tell you other than get out there with both and see what happens. I know that Barnes makes soft points and solids for something like the 375 H&H that they say have the same POA. I just looked on ammoseek.com and didn't see anything similar for the 7 mag, although that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Someone else may know more....
I load my own 7RM and use Barnes 168gr TSX. One shot kills on springbok to waterbuck, both wildebeest, gemsbok out to 275 yds.

I've been doing load development for my 280 AI, getting just short of 3K fps and terrific groups with 160 gr A Frames. It would be difficult to do any better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you