7 Rem Mag

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
In your opinion where does Remington's Big Seven really shine?
What shooting conditions/game species is it ideally suited for and under what conditions would you upgun to a larger cartridge?

In my opinion, the 7mm REM mag is really suited for medium sized game. It is excellent for whitetail/mule deer and elk. As far as African game, the same applies. I would only upsize to a larger caliber for Eland but heavier for caliber projectiles would be sufficient for Eland. Just my opinion.

What shooting conditions/game species is it ideally suited for and under what conditions would you upgun to a larger cartridge?
Any NA big game up to the big bears. African pg up to wildebeest and sable. Eland and above go bigger.

Reactions: cls
I think that its a good cartridge but it won't do anything that can't be done with a 30'06. With good bullets both are suitable for African plains game and pretty much all N.A. game

Any NA big game up to the big bears. African pg up to wildebeest and sable. Eland and above go bigger.
Agreed!

Note: I shot an eland with a 7 mag, it works for a close range shot with good placement.

This is my current favorite caliber. Enough power but not too much recoil. Good ballistics and less wind deflection than larger calibers. I shoot 180 gr bullets and have had great results. Realistically, the reason I like the caliber is that I am confident with it so my shooting is more accurate so the caliber ends up working better.

It won’t push through the paunch of a steeply quartering away wildebeest. I tried, and it required more shooting to finish the hunt. (A .375 would have easily made that shot.) My first Safari was all 7 mag. I brought a 7 mag barrel on my second Safari but only used the .375. This fall has been 7 mag only for NA hunting.

It is a perfect caliber for Montana and Idaho hunting where ranges seem to be above 70 yards to any reasonable range.
I would “downgun” if tree stand hunting, too fast for a 20-50 yard shot.

I have hunted with one since 1992 as my primary whitetail rifle. Three safaris with most critters up to kudu were bang flops or shorts tracks with heavy for weight 175 grain swift a frames. I like (and the rifle likes) 140 TTSX for whitetail and will probably use 168 grain accubonds for elk next fall.

It is a perfect caliber for Montana and Idaho hunting where ranges seem to be above 70 yards to any reasonable range.
I would “downgun” if tree stand hunting, too fast for a 20-50 yard shot.
It was my one gun on my first safari. It got me zebra, springbok, black and blue wildebeest, nyala, waterbuck, impala, gemsbok, and blesbuck at ranges from less than 100 yds out to 350 yds. I used Barnes 160gr TSX. All but one were one shot kills. The only 2 shot was my blue wildebeest. It was a headon and I hit him a little right of center when he started to turn as I pulled the trigger. Good lung shot, nicked the heart, and we found him about 150 yds away.

I’ve taken a Kodiak reindeer, Newfoundland moose and a Colorado mule deer this year on 3 shots. First two DRT, mule deer maybe 10 yards.

To me, the 7mm Rem Mag and Gemsbok hunting is like PB&J.
Its like .243 and Springbok or .30-06 and Kudu.

When a caliber finds its perfect marketing combo.

Longer range medium to large animals.

in my opinion the 7mm rem mag is a great cartridge for North America. Powerful, flat shooting and easy on the shoulder. The only game I’d hesitate to use it on are the big bears and bison. I’ve got my .375 for those.

The Remington 7mm Magnum was my first bolt action centerfire. Chambered in a 700 Classic I chose it because I believed it would be the only rifle I ever needed for Big Game hunting in North America. To a 19-year-old college student with very limited resources it's combination of speed and power and great marketing efforts by Remington convinced me this was the only rifle I would ever need.

As I approach 60, and having taken deer, and elk in North America and several African species with this rifle I still believe it could fit the one rifle motif.

I took this rifle to RSA for my first safari for purely sentimental reasons. I killed 8 plains game animals with 9 Barnes TSX 160 gr bullets at 3000 fps. An Impala, Blue Wildebeast, Warthog, Kudu, Sable, Waterbuck, and Zebra took one each. Only the Gemsbok required a second. The first shot hit the left humerus and did not break the bone but deflected caudoventrally (down and to the rear). I would never have believed that such a deflection could occur had I not seen it myself.

I have long ago lost track of how many rifles I have owned. I now look at rifles as specialized tools and have a multitude, each filling a unique niche. I have rifles that are faster, bigger, smaller, more modern, more attractive, and some much more expensive.

I no longer would choose this as my one and only rifle. That would be my 9.3 x 62, or .338 Win Mag but it has never let me down and I will never be without it.

I guess you never get over your first true love.

The Remington 7mm Magnum was my first bolt action centerfire [...] To a 19-year-old college student with very limited resources it's combination of speed and power and great marketing efforts by Remington convinced me this was the only rifle I would ever need.

This was the same for me as well at age 18 or 19. My dad kept saying "why get a ridiculous cartridge like that. Get a 30-06", but I didn't want a 30-06.

the 7mm would not be my first choice for BIG Bears, but I have killed several Eland with no problem. Bullet placement matters most and tough bullets like TSX etc.

My first big game rifle was a 30-06, but the first one that I purchased was a 7mm Rem mag. It took everything that I wanted to shoot from parrie dogs to elk with no problems.

When I was looking to head to Alaska for a brown bear hunt the outfitter told me that it would would just fine as long as I used a good bullet and knew how to shoot it. He told me that he had a number of hunters who shot up with larger rifles and were afraid of pulling the trigger on them and the results were wounded bears, where those who came up with a 7mm Rem mag were able to place the bullet where it was needed.

I am a huge .308 Win fan, but my second favourite is the 7mm Rem Mag. I've killed coyotes, pronghorn, whitetails, mule deer, black bear and moose here in Canada and a baboon, warthog, red hartebeest and an impala over in Namibia with it. All with great success. I would have used it on my Eastern Cape hunt, however I chose to use the PH's rifle and not bring my own.

7Rem mags are pretty versatile I think you can load them from 120g to 175, I stick to 150s because my rifle seems to Like them them best

I hate threads like these. I am in between 30 06 and 7mm rem mag for next year's treat. And as soon as i lean towards one cartridge then a thread like this comes up to throw me off.

If you are going to Limpopo, KZN or NW take the 30-06. If you are going to the Eastern or Northern Cape as well as the Free State take the 7mm.

This is for SA of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg