600 Overkill? Anyone..

i will say again.
a guy on a video shot a buff with a 600 overkill and it ran away.
he either needed a bigger gun or needed to learn how to shoot.
in the video he seemed to get off in peoples reactions to big cartridges more than hunting and shot placement.
also he seemed to be of the understanding that throwing money at things makes a better hunter.
bruce.

I AGREE...they have a mission but if the rifle is to heavy it's no fun in Africa or Alaska...Heated long tracking jaunts or Mountain treks forView attachment 358229 Bears ! My latest rifles of the last 12 years are lighter and shorter...esp my Alaskan Rig in 500Jeff...6.5 pds and 36" long! 16" Barrel and Laminated stock slings 570s at 2150fps and has taken two Cape Buff and One Brown Bear...The latest 600s are under 9pds..add a Big 56mm Bender Scope for feeder hogs and it's about 10.5...but for Africa no scope or a 9 ounce Leup 2.5X
Shown is the Grizzinator 500Jeff mentioned here!

What ammunition are you using in the 500 jeff or is it home loads?...I thought I liked light rifles but you are definitely in another league... :A Banana: :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

What ammunition are you using in the 500 jeff or is it home loads?...I thought I liked light rifles but you are definitely in another league... :A Banana: :E Big Grin: :D Beers:
Custom Loads..570 Barnes X back then at 2150ish...Fun stuff! Took 2 Cape Buff and a Brownie with it..(6.5pd 36" Super Custom Wim 70 by Bijou Creek)
20181118_120352.jpeg
Screenshot_2015-06-20-23-58-22-1.jpeg

I love the .600 Overkill and have shot all 5 of mine a good bit...including several Safaris ..
Have another one being built all weather synthetic and cerakoted...it will be very unique(like many other custom Big Bores I had made to my ideas and needs)
It may make another Brown Bear hunt for #3 but in the meantime it will be set up for Hogs down here in Louisiana...late evenings over feeders in wooded areas...(taken 2 big one's with 900's in Missouri )
I know eyes will roll but this little CZ550 Howitzer will have a 16" heavy contour with sights ..Synthetic Stock with short forearm in proportion to barrel length(a must with me)
May do a drop mag for a extra round?
Will have 2 scopes in Alaskan 30mm rings..Got a Schmidt Bender 2.5-10×56 Flashdot for the Hogs and then a Schmidt Bender 1.1-4×24 Flashdot (or a Swarv Z8i 1-8) for "Normal Hunting"..Unscoped about 8.5pds and add 2 pds for the scope and rings..Perfect for this "Kid"
Would be ready soon but Pacnor dropped the ball on .620 barrels since they burned down so we have a 6 month wait with Krieger..
We are planning on the 825 CEB's at 2300fps or so....Maybe a 720 CEB is in the works according to Cutting Edge..(2400?)
I'm not a long range guy with these Big Bores as most DG and Hogs is under 50 yds..sometimes as you know 50 feet!
I name all my Big Bores with a theme...This one will be GRIZZINATOR (all Brown) or BLACK DEATH (all Black) ..That comes later and will be Engraved on Action or maybe a Grizz Scene on Floorplate..or Cape Buffalo for the latter...
Photo below is waiting on barrel!
Happy Hunting
Screenshot_20200628-062744_Messages.jpeg
FB_IMG_1595033291303.jpeg
zenith-1.jpeg

AHR (Wayne) made me 3 Rifles..2 Great
.600's and a Awesome .700 Bolt Classic
Wayne and his company are the pioneers of this Awesome Caliber and have made the Legendary .600 which was once only read about in Books of Africa and old Gun Magazines...and in many a boys dreams!
They are reasonably in size and weight and more affordable then the .600 English Doubles by far(though I loved my Charles Osborne 1920's Double)
He has made i know over a hundred of them and they are selling like hotcakes...I have seen his work on mine and others,plus photos on other blogs....If you want one..you should go for it..I promise you will get a Kick out of it!
Here is what he made for me...600..600..700
(And a few kills with them)
20181117_202153.jpeg
20200330_222359.jpeg
Screenshot_20200826-194944_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_2015-06-20-23-58-42-1.jpeg
Screenshot_2015-06-20-23-52-26-1.jpeg
DSC00320-1.jpeg

i will say again.
a guy on a video shot a buff with a 600 overkill and it ran away.
he either needed a bigger gun or needed to learn how to shoot.
in the video he seemed to get off in peoples reactions to big cartridges more than hunting and shot placement.
also he seemed to be of the understanding that throwing money at things makes a better hunter.
bruce.
There is always that type out there in every hobby or sport....he apparently made a bad shot..
Elephant have been headshot with the 700NE and ran off..others been dropped with a 7x57 (Bell)
You can shoot a Buffalo with a 20mm rifle (They are for sale) and if he isn't hit right he can ruin your world...
Shot placement is #1..but we all know that..
As many a PH told me...a good shot with a 375HH is preferred then a bad shot with some cannon...Me..I prefer a good shot with My Cannon's....
20200330_221958.jpeg

600 Overkill Video
Oy 4 minutes..has some pauses but bear with it and it will keep rolling...
What impresses me the most is the fact Mike shot a 55gal drum full of water (close to 500pds) and it was hit in the MIDDLE and yet it still fell over! Imagine a man walking up to the same drum and try and push it over on it side...would take a big dude to do it and thats pushing from the top...now imaging pushing it from center to topple it over!! Good Luck!
Enjoy!

I enjoyed the video and demonstration of power.
The practicality is what gets me and it becomes evident with the gloves being worn and the firer being staggered backwards. Cool factor is certainly present, but this doesn't accomplish anything that a .50 or .45 rifle could not. The added advantage they have is the ability to get a second shot if needed. I once played ping-pong with a guy so had a nasty slam of a return. The thing was once you got over the theatrics of it and could weather the storm, he was done for because his Herculean efforts put him off balance and vulnerable to counter. If you ever miss with this rifle, it's game over. It might as well be a single shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross