<60 days away from Zimbabwe

By the way best of luck to the three in this thread who are booked!

Anxiously awaiting what you hear as well from Coppersmith as I too am close to making a leopard hunt happen this year!
For my last attempt at leopard Coppersmith said not to worry about any permits until after the hunt. There are, as you know, both import and export permits required.
Regards,
Philip

i hope the pessimism is wrong too. Nonetheless, I'd suggest you do your leopard, lion, Hyena, elephant, cheetah and giraffe hunting sooner rather than later. Things don't look too promising for the long haul.

I agree completely. Sadly, work has a way of dictating my schedule sometimes.

In discussion with my wife, the plan is to hunt leopard on our next safari. Just hoping things don't go south before then.

Wow man! I need more details about the hunts! Excited for all you guys! Leopard is a big one on the bucketlist. Just hoping the permits hold out till I can go.

I am leaving May 16th. Hunting in Naivasha camp in south-eastern Zim near the Gonarezhou park. I know several personally who have been on this hunt and all came back with big toms. Hope the luck holds! It will be a hunt over bait and night hunting is allowed in this area. I am paying for pre-baiting to try and tilt the odds as much in my favor as possible.

So let's hear it @reedy0312 @Philip Glass @Custom

Where are you guys going to attempt to hunt your leopards in Zim?

What are your hunt dates? Reedy, I'll be finishing up when you arrive...may 1-14 for me.
Last two weeks of June (dark of the moon) in the Matobo Hills area of Zim. Different route of travel this time. I arrive in Bulawayo and have a short drive. Last safari I flew to Harare then chartered to the Omay.
Regards,
Philip

For you guys travelling to Zim I am curious what you are planning to take for malaria prophylaxis. This is my first trip to a malaria area and I am vacillating between doxy and malarone. Larium is also an option, but I'm crazy enough without a drug-induced psychotic episode!

BTW, I know the best defense is to minimize bites in the first place. I am a proponent of the NATO method - permethrin on my clothes and the strongest DEET solution I can find on my skin. Also, I plan to spray permethrin on the mosquito nets at night.

For you guys travelling to Zim I am curious what you are planning to take for malaria prophylaxis. This is my first trip to a malaria area and I am vacillating between doxy and malarone. Larium is also an option, but I'm crazy enough without a drug-induced psychotic episode!

@Custom im going to pass on malaria meds. I'm worried a side effect could ruin my trip. I'd rather be sick when I get home and get treated in first world than taking preventives that cause a side effect that ruins my hunt.

I feel that the likelihood of contracting malaria at my location is low based on map data, and further mitigated by bug spray. Thus, I think the odds of a side effect ruining my trip are greater than the odds of active malaria infection ruining my trip, especially since incubation is relatively long with many forms of malaria.

Hmm, do I have to be hunting leopard to be part of the Zim club? I will be there in May for elephant. Headed to Bulawayo and hunting near that area from the 23rd through June 1st. If I see a leopard and a permit is available, he is going to catch an arrow.

Thank you. I am hoping after he goes down, I can get lucky with a cat off his carcass, but that may be pressing my luck.

Then again, anybody who wants to hunt elephant and leopard with a bow probably lives for pushing their luck, right?

@Custom im going to pass on malaria meds. I'm worried a side effect could ruin my trip. I'd rather be sick when I get home and get treated in first world than taking preventives that cause a side effect that ruins my hunt.

I feel that the likelihood of contracting malaria at my location is low based on map data, and further mitigated by bug spray. Thus, I think the odds of a side effect ruining my trip are greater than the odds of active malaria infection ruining my trip, especially since incubation is relatively long with many forms of malaria.

Take 100mg of Tertracycline a day. Acts as Malaria prophylaxis and general antibiotic with zero side effects. No prescription needed. It is the same meds they give you when you have tick bite fever. Can also be taken for long periods. It is all I can take the rest all have varying side effects.

Dot take chances with malaria I contracted cerebral malaria in a low risk area of Zim, nearly died and spent 7 day's in intensive care unit. I was lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross