6.5X55 Swedish Mauser 1923 Vasteras sight : Info needed please members??

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
This is a Vasteras rear sight, it is used to make very fine increments of the distances you adjust when shooting out to 300 meters up to 600 meters ..the rifle shoot extremely flat so from muzzle to 300 meters it will shoot point of impact, dead accurate zeroed on the 100 to 300 meter....from 300 meter you then use the Vasteras sight to dial in increments of ten meters after you slide the sight on 400 meters you use the round dail to dail clicks in increments of ten meter distances...a vintage sight of the MOA or Mill scopes consept you get in the first focal plane military scopes today..(Google reference ) Is there a member who has the same rifle with the same Vasteras sight that can explain to me how to precisely adjust this sight when shooting the indicated distances on the sight and why is there not a 100 meter and 200meter distance indicators as well?

c1add430-b88d-4677-9514-1a040b8c280a.jpg

It’s my understanding that these sights were installed when model 96 Swedes were converted to the Model 96/38s. Model 96s had their barrels shortened and I think the ammo was changed requiring a different sight. The bolt handles weren’t bent when they converted the 96s so the 96/38 has a straight bolt handle compared to the Model 38. They are very nice rifles. I’d guess that they used the 250 meter like a battle sight, just aim in the middle and fire.
IMG_1612.jpeg
IMG_1611.jpeg

Thank you for your input it is much appreciated..my M96 is still the long rifle , maybe it was fitted with the Vasteras sight but never shortened to the M38 ??

Could be the sight change was driven by a change in the ammo. They went from a 156 grain round nose bullet to a 140 grain spritzer around 1941. The brass plate on the stock is supposed to show what ammo the sights are regulated for but I’m not sure how to read the ammo part. I know the number 1,2 and 3 represent the barrel condition. My rifle is marked on the number 3 so it was the worst condition that they would give a pass before rebarreling. The bore doesn’t look very good but it still shoots well so I guess they knew what they were doing.

Could be the sight change was driven by a change in the ammo. They went from a 156 grain round nose bullet to a 140 grain spritzer around 1941. The brass plate on the stock is supposed to show what ammo the sights are regulated for but I’m not sure how to read the ammo part. I know the number 1,2 and 3 represent the barrel condition. My rifle is marked on the number 3 so it was the worst condition that they would give a pass before rebarreling. The bore doesn’t look very good but it still shoots well so I guess they knew what they were doing.
This rifle`s barrel mark on the disk is a 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.