6.5 Creedmoor

Since there seems to be a few 6.5 Creedmoor aficionados responding to this thread, I'd like to ask a serious question. That is, "what will your Creedmoor do, that my properly loaded 6.5 x 55 Swede won't?" For a fact there is a lot better factory ammo selection for the Creedmoor, but other than
that ? ? ? ? By properly loaded I mean a 140 gr. NP at 2775 FPS. Or for slightly larger game a NORMA Factory 156 Gr. Oryx.
For me you answered your own question. It is the availability of ammo and components. I'd love you have a 6.5x55 and probably will buy one one day but for gen purpose heavy use I like the 6.5 CM due to availability.

My disdain for the 243 is from the deer culling days when the govt shooters went from the 303 as imports became more available and the 222 and the 243 became the rifles to use and they were successfull EXCEPT on the big west coast reds and wapiti in the winter where the wet hides (and they were very often wet in this high rainfall area) and when the animals were wallowing, were causesing penetration problems so there were wounding and loss stories. It seemed that if the shot was quartering away the bullet might travel in with the lay of the hair but for a quartering on and even sometimes a square on shot the bullet would sometimes blow up on the wet hide leaving a wound but no penetration sufficient to kill.
Many of the shooters went to the BSA in 7x57 or winchesters in 270 and 30-06 and the problems stopped happening.
I readily acknowledge that it may have been bullet problem (weight and or construction) but once those cartridge predudices are internalised through that type of evidence they are not easily let go of and I for one have not done so and for me deer cartridges start at the 6.5 x55/57 through the 7x57 and on up to the various 30 cals.
So while in dry conditions and with suitable bullets the 243 may well be a usefull cartridge in many areas, for me it will always be too small for deer and too big for rabbits making it useless to all intents and purposes although it may be ok to train youngsters at the range so they can graduate to a propper rifle for hunting ;)
I completely understand where you would develop a distaste. IMHO it was likely due to poor bullet selection.

Since there seems to be a few 6.5 Creedmoor aficionados responding to this thread, I'd like to ask a serious question. That is, "what will your Creedmoor do, that my properly loaded 6.5 x 55 Swede won't?" For a fact there is a lot better factory ammo selection for the Creedmoor, but other than
that ? ? ? ? By properly loaded I mean a 140 gr. NP at 2775 FPS. Or for slightly larger game a NORMA Factory 156 Gr. Oryx.

I have both and the answer is nothing. I really do enjoy shooting my creedmoors, both 6.5 and 6, but it is nothing more than a great short action 6.5. There are plenty of rounds on the market today that are extremely close to one and another, 284 win and 280 rem, 6.5x284, 6.5x55 and 6.5PRC, etc.

Last edited:
I have a 270 and a 7mm-08 so I don't need a 6.5CM but I do understand why people like it. Its the US equivalent of the 6.5x55 and whats not to like about the old Sweede. With a 140 grain bonded bullet or Nosler Partition it will be fine for PG.

Before you take your 6.5CM to Africa be sure to check on the caliber restriction for the country you are hunting in. Some countries put a restriction on 6.5mm bullets reguardless of the amount of powder behind the bullet.

Last edited:
Actually I have been contemplating a 6mm CM for long distance prairie dog shooting. Considering this. A Savage 110 Elite Precision in LH bolt.

1632939598590.png

Actually I have been contemplating a 6mm CM for long distance prairie dog shooting. Considering this. A Savage 110 Elite Precision in LH bolt.

View attachment 427719

I think Tikka makes a TACT A1 in 6mm CM. Not sure on the LH though.

I know Bergara makes the LRP in 6mm CM, again not sure on LH. I have a couple of the premier series rifles, they are both incredibly accurate rifles.

The more people hunt with ELD-X bullets the more the 6.5 Creedmoor will get a bad reputation and continue to be laughed at as a hunting caliber.
Sure the bullet has a high BC and is VERY accurate, but its too fragile for African hunting conditions.

The more people hunt with ELD-X bullets the more the 6.5 Creedmoor will get a bad reputation and continue to be laughed at as a hunting caliber.
Sure the bullet has a high BC and is VERY accurate, but its too fragile for African hunting conditions.

:E Happy:

The ELD-X too fragile???? I think a LOT of people will disagree with you.

I think Tikka makes a TACT A1 in 6mm CM. Not sure on the LH though.

I know Bergara makes the LRP in 6mm CM, again not sure on LH. I have a couple of the premier series rifles, they are both incredibly accurate rifles.
Bergara doesn't make LH in the premier. Tikka does in T3x TACT A1 and I really like the folding stock and two stage trigger. But it comes in 6.5mm CM not 6mm CM. Decisions, decisions.

What % of game taken in SA would you guess weigh under 250kg?

Bergara doesn't make LH in the premier. Tikka does in T3x TACT A1 and I really like the folding stock and two stage trigger. But it comes in 6.5mm CM not 6mm CM. Decisions, decisions.

You could always just re-barrel it to 6mm, Proof pre-fit for Tikka is dead nuts accurate.

So many great responses to what I thought would be such a simple answer; but it proves everyone has an opinion and I truly appreciate all the feedback.
I have ordered for test firing Hornady 143 gr ELD-X, Norma 156 gr SP, Barnes VOR-TX 127gr. I was hoping to find Nosier 140 gr Accubond but so far been unable.

Absolutely nothing.

But specs are tight, chambers in pretty much all factory rifles are tight and ammo is made to this specs. And the ammo is readily available.

As a hand loader with a custom rifle your Swede rocks …. But in factory rifles using factory ammo …. Give the Creedmore it’s due.

I just bough a new barrel for my Sauer 404 Rifle in a 6.5 Creedmoor. I do not reload but wishing for opinions what factory ammo y'all recommend for hunting Mule Deer up to Kudu. Generally anything up to Kudu or larger I use my 300 win mag or my 404 Jeffrey for dangerous game.
There is a very nice hunt report posted on AH with the client taking all manner of plains game with a 6.5 Creedmoor and factory 129 Gr Hornady SSTs. I hunted with the same Outfitter/PH this last July and the PH verified the story.

I would post the link except some of these yahoos would probably want to sully a very nice hunt report. (PM me and I'll be happy to send it to you.)

FWIW, I shoot (and reload for) a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors and also for a few original military Swedes. The Creedmoor is equal to, if not superior to, the Swede, IMO. In. All. Regards.

I used a 30-06 and 180 Swift A-Frames on my recent S.A. plains game hunt (including a Kudu at ~250 Yards) and was very happy with the results. I had planned to take the Creedmoor as a 2nd rifle (and the PH invited me to bring it), but with the Wu-Flu I decided to just take one rifle.

On steel at my range, the 155.5 gr (actual weight) Lapua Mega reloads at 2,630 fps in the 6.5 CM slap steel with great effect. If I wanted to take a Kudu with the 6.5, that would be my 1st choice. The stated velocity for the factory Lapua 156 grain load is 2,550 fps if I remember correctly - about he same as their load for the Swede.

My 2nd Choice would be the 140 grain Swift A-Frame.

And I know someone who took a New Mexico Gemsbok with a 6.5 CM using the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X. Note he shoots one most every year and states the 6.5 CM, while effective, was marginal. He's also a world class shooter.

I checked on Midway USA website and they list 96 varieties of 6.5 CM ammo, with none currently in stock. They also list 20 varieties for the 6.5 Swede, with 8 options in stock. Sometimes, less is more.

@Manny R , I think the 3-4 options you selected to try out on your CM will do the trick. Hendershots is taking phone orders again, with 4-6 weeks delivery time. They cab fix you up with some 140 gr Nosler AB.

6.5 CM ammo, OUCH!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.11 PM.png
    668.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.12 PM.png
    460.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.22 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.09.23 PM.png
    615 KB · Views: 65
My 10-year-old daughter got a bull shiras moose with my 6.5cm this past weekend at 270 yards. Normally I wouldn't have used that for moose, but she is a small-framed kid and it worked. 143gr Hornady eld-x. Not ideal, but the gun fits her and doesn't punish her with recoil.

The 6.5 caliber is a common moose round in Scandinavia.

Despite this, I do not think it is an ideal round for animals bigger than deer. Adequate, yes...not ideal. There isn't much energy and I think that a marginal shot could more easily result in a lost animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg