.500 Nitro Express plinking loads

Quaticman

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 20, 2018
Messages
178
Reaction score
441
Location
Kitchener
Media
26
Hunted
Namibia
Is anyone aware of load data that produces substantially reduced velocity with the standard 570 grain bullet? I'm looking for loads that can be used to get some trigger time without kicking the crap out of you.
I realize that accuracy likely will be an issue however that's okay. Perhaps Accurate 5744 may be an option?
 
Two options:
Use a SxS shotgun if concerned about getting used to double triggers.
Use a .22 or other low recoiling caliber if concerned about trigger control etc..

Reduced loads on a double rifle without the accuracy to tell if you are shooting correctly or not is just turning money into noise.
 

Quaticman​

I've felt your pain with a 9.3 lb 500 NE Sabatti. As in factory form with 2150 fps 570gr bullets it produced 100 ft lbs recoil at 25 mph. Watch some slo mo on youtube.
I bought 500 linebaugh pistol bullets from Montana Bullet works in 400, 460 and 530gr weights all with gas checks. I use 5744, 2015 RL-15 and 4198 to load even subsonic rounds. I use poly pillow filler in my loads so there is no powder space left uncontained.
Some loads regulate very well but all are 25 yard killers if hunting, non serious game.
I don't know what "PM me" means but I would be glad to share my load data and procedures with you.
My goal was to duplicate some to 45-70 levels so are very comfortable to shoot.
 
i know what you mean, but if you are hunting with a big stick like that, you are hunting big heavy things that dont like being shot. i would stick to the regulated load for your double. why? because when it comes time to actually pulling the trigger on a beast that will surely seek out whatever thing hurt it, you dont want to flinch. if flinching is the issue, buy a stoeger uplander and practice with 3” slugs. if price is the issue on ammo, reloading makes the big calibers a fraction of what the retail price is for a box of ammo. i reload for my 30-06, 338 WM, 416 RM, 9.3x74r double, and my 450 NE double. reloading is much more accurate than off the shelf. anyone who reloads would agree, in my humble opinion.
 
It seems to me that the accuracy of reduced loads for a double rifle has two aspects. The accuracy relative to a full power loading for which the rifle was regulated, meaning how close the two different loads pattern at the specified distance; and the degree of repeatability of the particular load- that is what sort of grouping is obtained. If the reduced load is accurate as far as the shot go to approximately the same spot (1-2 MOA) then it can be determined where the bullets hit compared to the full power loadings. say the reduced load from the right barrel hits one inch low and three inches to the left at 50 yards; then you can get familiarization time with your rifle and be confident in your shooting, knowing that when you shoot full power loads they will be at the regulated spot- at least that's how it seems to me.
 
There are several things about shooting a DR to get used to. Reloading under high stress is one. Having lessor cost lessor recoil can provide more practice to develop then move on the full power loads etc.
In my neck of the woods the most challenging thing I've got to shoot at was a charging cardboard Cape Buffalo at a big bore rifle match.
I bought several front sight inserts so I could adjust for the different vertical poi. The cast lead bullets at various velocities do hit excellent regulation nearly cutting each to 3.5 inches with a first trial load. If I can find a charge weight that is 2 inches or better between 25 and 50 yards I call that good. It is practice ammo that does not leave me feeling like I've been in a car wreck.
The final word in this being that I had no reason to buy a 500 NE DR except I wanted one.
Kind of like that 700 HP mustang or camero that nobody needs; cost of ownership isn't always friendly.
I will never get to Africa or Alaska or hunt bears but I might get to shoot some feral hogs or a meat bison with it.
 
Google nitro for black loads for your 500. I use load data for the .450 and they regulate perfectly in both my .450 nitro and express rifles. Plenty of power for NA hunting as well as African plains game. Recoil negligible. A lot more fun and a lot less expensive than full power loads in the nitro rifle.
 
Hornady.....
 
Cheap cast .510 bullets and trail boss powder. To get the load for trail boss,simply fill the case up until it is about 1/8" short of where the bottom of the bullet will sit in the case and head out. Should give you about 1000-1,200 fps.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,352
Messages
1,573,830
Members
169,857
Latest member
RosaMansel
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top