AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, USA (Northeast, midwest, Rockies, Alaska), Canada and Hungary
I had my 500 Verney at the range today checking loads. All shots were off of sticks and fired in fairly rapid pairs. Range was 25 yards.

I'm quite pleased that it's shooting well with the A-Frames and Nosler Solids as both are great loads.
IMG_8052.JPG
IMG_8057.JPG
IMG_8058.JPG
IMG_8061.JPG
IMG_8062.JPG
IMG_8063.JPG
IMG_8065.JPG

Well done. A great rifle with an awesome cartridge!

Pictures of your double please:Shy:

@brettp,

How's the recoil of the .500 versus a .470? Jerome at Verney has been telling me he feels the felt recoil of the .500 is less.

Is it buff hunting time again?

@brettp,

How's the recoil of the .500 versus a .470? Jerome at Verney has been telling me he feels the felt recoil of the .500 is less.

Honestly, it's a hammer. I've only shot a few but the 470 was less. The 500 is totally shootable but it hammers you pretty good. You can't fling 570 grains at 2100 and not send a lot of energy back.

Not till next year. Just getting the rifle ready.

Honestly, it's a hammer. I've only shot a few but the 470 was less. The 500 is totally shootable but it hammers you pretty good. You can't fling 570 grains at 2100 and not send a lot of energy back.
Well, you handle that double extremely well, there is no indication of a flinch in those shots.

Well, you handle that double extremely well, there is no indication of a flinch in those shots.

Well, thank you sir! I'll take the compliment. The key for me is knowing when to stop. I got to about 20 rounds today and I started needing to really focus on follow through knowing the pain was coming so I called it a day.

Give the CEB Bullets a try, my 450NE likes them very much.

She's a beauty!:cool:

Nicely done

20 rounds from a 500 is plenty of pounding for one day!

Well done!

Very nice!

Well done

grouping looks good but most shots seem low, i wonder what distance your rifle is regulated for?

even with a 500 your rifle shouldnt hurt to fire. assuming this gun was fitted for you, have you considered changing your shooting technique?

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheila_barwick

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross