500 Jeffery Recoil?

I'm taking this 500 out today if I get the chance. Though there's everything included in the sale to reload, this would have to be done by someone extremely well versed, as there's not enough time here to invest! I have 40 reloads of 600 grn Woodleighs @ 2100 fps allegedly? ... I was able to obtain Norma's 570's & a 5 count, Kynoch 535's.

I do appreciate everyone's insight as miniscule it may sound, respectfully. Thank you.
Addl: I ordered Sako's Brown Bear a couple months ago from a somewhat local dealer. He was under the impression it would not take 8 months, however, contacted Sako as these have to be built upon request. In addition to timely imports, 9lbs! ... so? if it ever arrives, it would be interesting to see the differences. Both, firearms and available loads!

Exceptionally glad to hear good results with "Hendershots", as they may be pivotal to supply!!! Between available time & international travel @ this time, they may never see a hunt for a long time. However, this gives plenty of time to study respectively.

A chronograph will be invaluable in your developement and in the long run will take the guess work out of your exhaustive study and will help get you to your desired endpoint. If you already employ one please disregard my 2 cents!

I've loaded my 500 Jeffery up to 2510 fps with 570g Barnes TSX's. I had to switch to a slower power, IMR 4350. No pressure signs, recoil was stiff. Fun index was low. We all have our recoil limit. That's why I throttled back to 2300 fps. You'll find your perfect load within your recoil tolerance.

No difference at all after the first shot..thats the numbing one..

No difference at all after the first shot..thats the numbing one..

This will take some time to get in the pocket. I didn't have much time with it last week, again, a beautiful firing firearm, but it pushes some limits on placement & follow up's! .. Excellent cartridge!

Yeah!

Both loads are substantial, recoil is subjective to the individual, so its a moot question, only you can make that determination...I used the 500 and 505 for a short period in my life on DG only, and found recoil lifted the bore too high and return to battery was slow, and that's critical IMO.....I went back to the 416 REm and 404 Jefferys (my favorite)..and I liked shooting the 458 L0tt loaded down to a 500 gr. bullet at 2150 fps, that's what the 458 shoud have been in the first place IMO..just a little longer case.

Both loads are substantial, recoil is subjective to the individual, so its a moot question, only you can make that determination...I used the 500 and 505 for a short period in my life on DG only, and found recoil lifted the bore too high and return to battery was slow, and that's critical IMO.....I went back to the 416 REm and 404 Jefferys (my favorite)..and I liked shooting the 458 L0tt loaded down to a 500 gr. bullet at 2150 fps, that's what the 458 shoud have been in the first place IMO..just a little longer case.

Well, I can certainly see why now Mr. Atkinson, in retrospect. These 500's, at least the AHR will most likely never see a hunt, maybe?. It is a wonderful cartridge that may seem tolerable from the shoulder to kneeling, however, again, this will take some patience & a lot of practice for accuracy & follow up's indeed! I watched the footage i took from the 1st shots, it put it into perspective really quick.

I will say there are distinct advantages in a lot of aspects, to me, with this Rifle over the RSM 458 Lott which I've spent a lifetime with? A pivotal point worth mentioning. AHR does some excellent work, a lucky find & beautiful investment.

Time will tell. The 500 Jeffery is certainly legendary and a breed apart. A respectable raucous! How some work these 500's like a surgeon is beyond me!

p.s. .. Thank You!

Once you get used to the nose bleeds, the dizziness and thobbing pain in your shoulder it's a piece of cake@

The best part is when you experience the carnage on the receiving end....with the right bullet and load it is lights and water switched of instantaneously each and every time no matter the situation.....

The best stopping cartridge ever designed.......especially foe elephant....

The best part is when you experience the carnage on the receiving end....with the right bullet and load it is lights and water switched of instantaneously each and every time no matter the situation.....

The best stopping cartridge ever designed.......especially foe elephant....

That's about as clear as 20th century philosophy and really an excellent bottom line. I've been networking with Lance Hendershot to gain more insight to the 500 spec's .. Truly, a legendary cartridge.

Its definitely a killer, but better than the 416 Rem or 404 Jefferys I couldn't see that difference except on paper, in the field I got the same results over all, so decided the 40 were more fun!! and as I age (Im 85) and got to where I shot the 9.3x62 on buffalo mostly..again perfect satisfaction....Today I hate the flight so retired from my 40 years in the booking business, both part time and full time as the years went by, and lived a wonderful life of hunting and making good friends, most of which have passed before me..Today I shoot my .375 ruger 77 and my 338 Ruger #-1-s for elk and behind my house and my 250-3000 #1-S Ruger for mule deer and at my sister ranch in Texas for white tail. and live with a million memories of Africa..

Its definitely a killer, but better than the 416 Rem or 404 Jefferys I couldn't see that difference except on paper, in the field I got the same results over all, so decided the 40 were more fun!! and as I age (Im 85) and got to where I shot the 9.3x62 on buffalo mostly..again perfect satisfaction....Today I hate the flight so retired from my 40 years in the booking business, both part time and full time as the years went by, and lived a wonderful life of hunting and making good friends, most of which have passed before me..Today I shoot my .375 ruger 77 and my 338 Ruger #-1-s for elk and behind my house and my 250-3000 #1-S Ruger for mule deer and at my sister ranch in Texas for white tail. and live with a million memories of Africa..

That is wonderful testimony to a life and culture that's slowly becoming forgotten, to my generation at least. The iconic periods throughout history and the legends that have preserved the experiences will always be timeless. And if I never see a hunt in my lifetime, The 500 Jeffery will be a tribute to the extraordinary heritage. Well done sir, to a life well lived. Regards, Daniel.

I can't compare it to a 416 or 404 Jeffery, but compared to a 375 H&H shooting 300g A-Frames at 2500 fps, the impact on the animal is so different it has to bee seen to be believed given the same shot placement. When I go after my 10' plus bear on Kodiak Island, I'm bringing the 500 Jeffery :)

I can't compare it to a 416 or 404 Jeffery, but compared to a 375 H&H shooting 300g A-Frames at 2500 fps, the impact on the animal is so different it has to bee seen to be believed given the same shot placement. When I go after my 10' plus bear on Kodiak Island, I'm bringing the 500 Jeffery :)

I can certainly see why! .. As I've spent more time in practice with this 500, like any firearm. Recoil becomes less insignificant in a sense? However, astonished at what this cartridge is capable of! My god, absolutely a respectable round & great firearm!

a2jCqRV.jpg

Attachments

• a2jCqRV.jpg
    a2jCqRV.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
The double rifle or the 500 caliber would not be my choice for a Bear hunt, Its suitable for a guides back up rifle, but most would frown on the weight and torture a riflel gets in Alaska, also Bear can and often are shot at long distant such as 200 to 300 yards..Bear hunts are terribly expensive, I wouldn't burden myself with failure because I picked the wrong for the worng reasons…..Save the 500 for African elephant, buffalo, Lion and Hippo...where it belongs. Just my two bits that's worth a cup of coffee if you have$2.00 to pay..:giggle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.