500 A-Square For Sale

Publicity is still Publicity
Everyone has a really nice Collection above.

This is a Beautiful A-Square listing, in an incredible cartridge. It will sell ...

Last edited:
1979-2012. I've never seen one with std block letter stampings. A-Square manufactured rifles usually came with stainless steel barrels as a standard feature. The barrels on the rifles use epoxy resin to bed the barrel to the stocks. Magazine boxes were manufactured from plate steel for rigidity and were also welded to the receiver. A-Square rifles were engineered to allow the firing pin to retract further into the bolt body than other firearms (.400 in (10.2 mm)). This increases the force of the firing pin on the cartridge within the chamber.[6] Most all had Pachmeyer-style, flush to stock sling swivel mounts, but some early (or custom orders) had a fancy, inletted r. sling mount and a bbl ring mount up front.

I did see that on GI today "Baldwin Locomotive Works" .. I'll be!!!
i only know that as i did env cleanup work there (Eddystone PA on the Delaware River) and we have to look at "contributions" from all fmr operations on-site. Baldwin also had a victorian mansion upriver across the street from an indoor archery range where I'd shoot at night as a teen. Baldwin was the primary mfr of steam and diesel locomotives once upon a time (his steam engines were found worldwide!) Some of the cool, old diesel bullet trains are Baldwins!
1694035420840.png
1694035444455.png
1694035550882.png

i only know that as i did env cleanup work there (Eddystone PA on the Delaware River) and we have to look at "contributions" from all fmr operations on-site. Baldwin also had a victorian mansion upriver across the street from an indoor archery range where I'd shoot at night as a teen. Baldwin was the primary mfr of steam and diesel locomotives once upon a time (his steam engines were found worldwide!) Some of the cool, old diesel bullet trains are Baldwins! View attachment 555515View attachment 555516View attachment 555523
There's a Deadline of them down the road .. "One" still remains in Service.
Many Thanks, excellent story ...
1694036030742.png

I believe that Hannibal went for $20K on GB

Great hx .. This is a beautiful listing!

Not the same stock.
Krish
also polished bluing, 1 crossbolt. It does have the flared pistol grip common to the coil-chek stock. many were coated SS barrels, so it's less common to see polished bluing. what caliber is the above?

also polished bluing, 1 crossbolt. It does have the flared pistol grip common to the coil-chek stock. many were coated SS barrels, so it's less common to see polished bluing. what caliber is the above?
500 a-square

Last edited by a moderator:
Two crossbolts.
Screenshot_20230907-091740_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1979-2012. I've never seen one with std block letter stampings. A-Square manufactured rifles usually came with stainless steel barrels as a standard feature. The barrels on the rifles use epoxy resin to bed the barrel to the stocks. Magazine boxes were manufactured from plate steel for rigidity and were also welded to the receiver. A-Square rifles were engineered to allow the firing pin to retract further into the bolt body than other firearms (.400 in (10.2 mm)). This increases the force of the firing pin on the cartridge within the chamber.[6] Most all had Pachmeyer-style, flush to stock sling swivel mounts, but some early (or custom orders) had a fancy, inletted r. sling mount and a bbl ring mount up front.
1994 A-square catalog only shows block letters, no script, as @Wishfulthinker580 mentioned. Script looks to have been added later in production, possibly post 1994 or special request as an upcharge. The '91 rifle has engraving after production and finishing.

The rifle as posted by the OP looks to be 100% A-square, just not a Hannibal with Coil Check stock, or possibly a stock alteration. Stampings, metal works, etc, all look perfect A-sqaure based on their catalogs and comparisons to mine and other rifles.

This picture is from A-Squre Any shot you want showing a Hannibal rifle. Shows block letters. Not cursive. May be i am wrong The A looks like cursive.
20230907_125951.jpg

Last edited:
1994 A-square catalog only shows block letters, no script, as @Wishfulthinker580 mentioned. Script looks to have been added later in production, possibly post 1994 or special request as an upcharge. The '91 rifle has engraving after production and finishing.

The rifle as posted by the OP looks to be 100% A-square, just not a Hannibal with Coil Check stock, or possibly a stock alteration. Stampings, metal works, etc, all look perfect A-sqaure based on their catalogs and comparisons to mine and other rifles.
I do think it's a fancier (modified?) coil-chek stock after looking at so many pics-it has the precise butt profile. it's entirely possible the checkering (and minor grip) work were later additions, also the more conventional sling mounts. Col. AA did move around to diff locations/equipment quite a few times, thus the subtle differences from here to there...He did offer packages with diff options, so the engraving/stamping may have changed at diff tiers as you said. Most of the cursive lettering didn't stamp in so well at the edges, whereas the block lettering looks deep/strong (esp. good if the rifle is coated, as most of the stainless models were, further hiding the rather shallow lettering.)

I like the gun, but with how much of my $$$,$$$.00 the Big Swamp has essentially pissed away, in polar-opposite good conscience, I'm going to have to pass.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?