.460 Weatherby whats your opinion

If it has the words muzzle brake in it, you will have people increasing the post count. There is a hatred for them on AH. And it seems to me a lot Weatherby's have them:whistle:

I had several Weatherby's over the years and I m not a big fan. Quality control seems to lack as I have had multiple problems with my 300 whtby mag. I did like the 257 though great rifle for deer antelope and I think with good shot placement you could take an elk. It was Roy's favorite.

I bought a very used (ridden hard and put away wet) Mark V in 270 Weatherby several years after I gave my tried and true BDL in 270 to my son. I haven't fallen in love with it yet, but really haven't given it much of a chance. I hit a scuba tank at 850 yards with factory ammo five times in a row from a rest, so it shoots well enough. It's a little heavy. I know it's silly I prefer to hunt elk with my 500 Jeffery. I like jump shooting them in the dark timber.

Norwegianwoods,
I'm waiting for mine eagerly;) 460 can handle a 200 yard back up shot on a departing elephant/buffalo with a better than good chance of stopping it and vastly aiding speedy a recovery. At close range it is also awesome!
From a professionals point of view I believe that we have to use the absolute best weapon for the job period! Safari and trophies are major investment these days and as a PH I don't shoot often but if I have to I have to make it count. When time comes for me to shoot my shot better tell! That means hit the mark AND get the job with certainty! I don't want turn round to hunter and say well that shot was a bit out of range.... The Hunter is relying on me at the end of the day. I hate loosing game and it can really put a damper on an otherwise great hunt. Thats why I've always been partial to the hard hitters. I had a 9 pound 450 Dakota with a Fibreglass stock which was really spunky but it was brilliant! Also have a 577NE. So one could say I'm a sucker for punishment;)

It wouldn't be worth the trouble. Rather let them have their own accident when their dynamite goes off!

With full power loads and muzzle break this is the worst caliber to consider for African DG hunting, period.

Since I already have ear damage from a muzzle break (I was wearing ear plugs as well over the ear protection) I will walk down the firing line and if I see or hear a muzzle break I get as far away as I can.

I once saw a slightly used 460 Weatherby in a local gun shop. It came with a box of ammo. Upon opening the box, I saw where exactly three rounds had been fired. I asked the shop owner about the recoil from a 460 and I think this photo captures the essence of his comment...........

upload_2017-9-2_13-32-55.png

I think the main issue aside from inconsiderate muzzle brake, (your trackers will likely be standing next to you and WILL lose some hearing) is the fact that even .458 brass turned solids deform at 2600FPS. That means they will likely slow quicker (read less penetration) and deviate from their original course. The original Weatherby ammo was sold with the Hornady steel jacketed solids and it was renowned for flattening them or riveting them because of the high speed.

It's a great cartridge but I would slow it down to Lott speeds. Also, I personally find weatherby rifles to be pretty tacky and the antithesis of a hunting rifle. I typically look to reduce glare on my rifle, not find ways to add more of it.

It's the parent case for the 465 H&H, with the 460 itself having been spawned from the 416 Rigby via the addition of a belt.

With the reduced pressure, the H&H retains devastating performance without as much of the negatives and has a shape more suited to smooth feeding.

So for that alone, I think the 460 is all right - it makes brass more available for it's derivative.

Craig boddington in his book African rifles claims it's widely maligned in Africa. Its velocity does not contribute to strait line penetration. That said, Craig knows a professional hunter who claims it's the deadliest rifle he's seen on buffalo. The times Craig has used it it was devastating.

Quereshi in Tanazania was one of ph's that loved the .460 Wby, he had a Magnum Mauser action built for it. Was one of his most used rifles for a lot .

Quereshi in Tanazania was one of ph's that loved the .460 Wby, he had a Magnum Mauser action built for it. Was one of his most used rifles for a lot .
And he downloaded it to 2400fps....

And he downloaded it to 2400fps....
Am I wrong in thinking that doing that sort of defeats the purpose of a Weatherby cartridge?!

Am I wrong in thinking that doing that sort of defeats the purpose of a Weatherby cartridge?!
Nope...you are correct many other better options than a 460 Weatherby no matter anyones recoil tolerance levels....

Nope...you are correct many other better options than a 460 Weatherby no matter anyones recoil tolerance levels....
I own and shoot a .460 Weatherby, which I do quite often at our local range with no reduced loads, shooting various 500gr bullets (with and without the Weatherby muzzle brake).
I have had the pleasure of Pierre van der Walt's company on a few occasions, prior to his departure for Portugal, discussing the .460 and the .378 Weatherby (which I also own and shoot as often as I can)...
I have read the section in Pierre's book, "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" - CHARACTERISTICS of the .460 more times that I can remember. Especially his comments about what has been perpetrated about the .460's recoil ;) a very definite and good read.
Few will admit or acknowledge that the .460 generates nearly 12% less recoil than the .500 Jeffrey, so says Pierre in the same section.

That said, I will be testing a new batch of the Peregrine 500gr - VRG3's as soon as these current Covid restrictions are lifted and hope to get up to 2500fps.

Ouch! Kills on both ends. No thanks.

I own and shoot a .460 Weatherby, which I do quite often at our local range with no reduced loads, shooting various 500gr bullets (with and without the Weatherby muzzle brake).
I have had the pleasure of Pierre van der Walt's company on a few occasions, prior to his departure for Portugal, discussing the .460 and the .378 Weatherby (which I also own and shoot as often as I can)...
I have read the section in Pierre's book, "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" - CHARACTERISTICS of the .460 more times that I can remember. Especially his comments about what has been perpetrated about the .460's recoil ;) a very definite and good read.
Few will admit or acknowledge that the .460 generates nearly 12% less recoil than the .500 Jeffrey, so says Pierre in the same section.

That said, I will be testing a new batch of the Peregrine 500gr - VRG3's as soon as these current Covid restrictions are lifted and hope to get up to 2500fps.
And Pierre has never owned or used a 460 Weatherby neither has he shot DG with one...do not believe all you read...
Why only 2500fps thw wannaby needs in excess of 2600 fps....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg