.458 Lott recoil is no joke

I also have a Ruger No1 in 458 Lott and really like shooting it. The first time out I put about 15 rounds through it and about 15-20 through my 375 h&h. My shoulder was sore for a week.
The second trip was better. I added a slip on Pachmayer decelerator pad and also used a Caldwell magnum plus recoil shield pad with a piece of thick leather (harder rubber also works) behind the pad. I wouldnt do all this for one or two shots but if you are shooting a lot it makes it more enjoyable.
I also went to 75gr of Benchmark (with a 450gr bullet). This is a littler lighter load and helped as well.

I also have a Ruger No1 in 458 Lott and really like shooting it.
Is yours a rechamber or a factory standard and which configuration do you have? I am infinitely curious about these as they are not that common and snatched up faster than a $100 bill on a New York sidewalk.

I'm a big bore junkie and recently had my Ruger No. 1H Tropical re-bored from .458 Win Mag to .458 Lott. I took it out the other day and could only fire 3 rounds before I had to stop. The recoil on it is almost nightmarish.

I rechambered a ZKK602 to 450 Ackley Magnum in 1996. I was lighter then and shooting the 500 grainers at 2380fps was giving me split lips, split brows, intense headaches and one bloody nose. It was no fun.

So I gave up on the 500s and swapped to Hornady 350gr RN and loaded them at moderate velocity with a fairly fast powder and the rifle became a pussy cat. I used it for general pig shooting and shot it a lot. I went back to the 500s about 5 years later and hardly notice full power loads out hunting. It's taken buffalo in Australia and Zimbabwe, banteng, giraffe and eland all with one shot kills some from some difficult angles.

Your Lott is a winner, you need to overcome your fear. Change the recoil pad to a Decelerator and swap to a lighter load till you get your eye in!

Is yours a rechamber or a factory standard and which configuration do you have? I am infinitely curious about these as they are not that common and snatched up faster than a $100 bill on a New York sidewalk.
Mine started life as a 458 winmag and re chambered to 458 lott. I actually found this one at Cabelas. From my research it was made in the 70's. It has turned out to be my favorite gun to shoot.

A lead sled and 100 lbs of lead shot does wonders for the sighting in portion no need to punish yourself on that part of the process.
Lead sleds are completely junk!!!!!! All they are good for is breaking stocks, breaking scopes, and make the scope slip in its rings.

I highly recommend everyone find a different way, and ignore the sled. Using it without weights is "ok". Ive helped at my friends shop for years and I've personally seen 3 cracked stocks, my scope on my .325 wsm shifted so much it had the zoom ring stuck. Even NIghtforce will break eventually in the sled. Recoil has to go somewhere, and by stopping it, that energy transfers back into the gun.

Lead sleds are completely junk!!!!!! All they are good for is breaking stocks, breaking scopes, and make the scope slip in its rinks.

I highly recommend everyone find a different way, and ignore the sled. Using it without weights is "ok". Ive helped at my friends shop for years and I've personally seen 3 cracked stocks, my scope on my .325 wsm shifted so much it had the zoom ring stuck. Even NIghtforce will break eventually in the sled. Recoil has to go somewhere, and by stopping it, that energy transfers back into the gun.
Good points! I had been wondering about this as I've read about lead sleds on here. I've never used one. My older ( I guess?) CZ Lott has NO crossbolt(s) through it's factory wood stock. So far, I've only put ten factory rounds through it from a standing position. The FELT recoil for me is not much more, if any, from my CZ .458WM. Since I "give" with the recoil, I can't imagine how a stock could crack under this moderate recoil? I've read horror stories of cracked stocks, but I just can't see with the recoil I've experienced, how this could possibly happen from shooting even from a bench without a hard "backstop" which would put pressure on the stock? Maybe I'm just naive'?

Good points! I had been wondering about this as I've read about lead sleds on here. I've never used one. My older ( I guess?) CZ Lott has NO crossbolt(s) through it's factory wood stock. So far, I've only put ten factory rounds through it from a standing position. The FELT recoil for me is not much more, if any, from my CZ .458WM. Since I "give" with the recoil, I can't imagine how a stock could crack under this moderate recoil? I've read horror stories of cracked stocks, but I just can't see with the recoil I've experienced, how this could possibly happen from shooting even from a bench without a hard "backstop" which would put pressure on the stock? Maybe I'm just naive'?
The lead sleds crack stocks and shift scopes because silly people put 7,000 pounds of lead shot on the sled so they can avoid the work of the recoil management. "My banana bored bwana blaster recoils like a .22 with the lead sled!" Well good for you. Why don't you take it with you and put it on the shooting sticks? If you cannot handle the recoil of the arm with a past shield and a recoil pad, you probably need to reexamine your ego to chambering relationship and select something more appropriate.

The lead sleds crack stocks and shift scopes because silly people put 7,000 pounds of lead shot on the sled so they can avoid the work of the recoil management. "My banana bored bwana blaster recoils like a .22 with the lead sled!" Well good for you. Why don't you take it with you and put it on the shooting sticks? If you cannot handle the recoil of the arm with a past shield and a recoil pad, you probably need to reexamine your ego to chambering relationship and select something more appropriate.
Forrest,
What are you doing awake at this hour? Anyway, great points! I also use a Past shield which adds some lop which I need, and really tames the recoil. Your right though, if a good recoil pad and Past shield doesn't work from the bench, one needs to evaluate the chosen caliber. Felt recoil is different for each person.
CEH

With the weight on it, it's like putting butt of the stock against a tree. It can't go backwards.

PS: I wasn't trying to start a war lol
Well no, this isn't to start a war. In my opinion, if someone needs/wants to use a lead sled to develop loads, by all means use one. But for a heavy recoiling 50 meter DG rifle, what loads are you developing? I can hit a pie plate at fifty yards most of the time with my open sighted Lott, so MOA isn't necessary? But, if I want to develop loads for 200 meters with a 350gr bullet I might use a lead sled or a tree? Sniping with a Lott or .458 and up? That'll be the next big thing! Forrest, you first! Ha! Ha! Ha!

The Ruger No1 is probably the worst rifle in existence to be chambered in 458 Lott. Its obscenely light weight and the stock design is not well suited for large calibers.

The CZ 550 in 458 Lott is night and day better!

a 458 Lott should weigh no less then 10 pounds, so to start with try getting its weight up to that level.

-matt
My No1 in 7mm REM mag kicked me much harder than my CZ 550 .375. It was horrible to shoot and I sold it.
I have fired a CZ Lott a few times and found it very manageable.

I had a No. 1 in 375 WM.
Mercury tube is the ticket...my 13 year old daughter shot it no problem ( She is a 'Bale chucker' mind you ) de-cellerator pad and the mercury tube...it'll tame it considerably

My No1 in 7mm REM mag kicked me much harder than my CZ 550 .375. It was horrible to shoot and I sold it.
I have fired a CZ Lott a few times and found it very manageable.
You know, I've always wanted to own a Ruger #1. Beautiful action and wood, lightweight. Back in the day(70s) they were going for $195 when the standard Remington, Winchester, Ruger were $157. I remember at the range once in my teens shooting my .270, there was an older gentleman with a Ruger #1 .458WM. He told me he was loading it down to .45-70 levels and that he may never make it to Africa to hunt with it, but he had a rifle that he COULD hunt DG with it in Africa if he ever made it there. I eventually bought a CZ .458WM, but I still have the Ruger #1 in the back of my mind.

I had a No. 1 in 375 WM.
Mercury tube is the ticket...my 13 year old daughter shot it no problem ( She is a 'Bale chucker' mind you ) de-cellerator pad and the mercury tube...it'll tame it considerably
Oh well, if she's a "bale chucker", she could SOON step right up to a Lott! Ha! Ha! That bailing is hard, physical work. She can't be working in this country, can she? Ha! Ha!

You know, I've always wanted to own a Ruger #1. Beautiful action and wood, lightweight. Back in the day(70s) they were going for $195 when the standard Remington, Winchester, Ruger were $157. I remember at the range once in my teens shooting my .270, there was an older gentleman with a Ruger #1 .458WM. He told me he was loading it down to .45-70 levels and that he may never make it to Africa to hunt with it, but he had a rifle that he COULD hunt DG with it in Africa if he ever made it there. I eventually bought a CZ .458WM, but I still have the Ruger #1 in the back of my mind.
You know that you are going to have scratch that itch eventually!

Well no, this isn't to start a war. In my opinion, if someone needs/wants to use a lead sled to develop loads, by all means use one. But for a heavy recoiling 50 meter DG rifle, what loads are you developing? I can hit a pie plate at fifty yards most of the time with my open sighted Lott, so MOA isn't necessary? But, if I want to develop loads for 200 meters with a 350gr bullet I might use a lead sled or a tree? Sniping with a Lott or .458 and up? That'll be the next big thing! Forrest, you first! Ha! Ha! Ha!
What do you think I'm doing with my 375? Progressive 1:14 to 1:9.5 twist, 27" barrel in the Sendero contours. He has built them before, he said I could get 2800 fps with the 329 grain Hammer Hunters.

I'm attaching pictures of the ballistics with a 329gr @ 2800 fps. Stays super sonic to 1500 yards. It's going to be a all black buffalo slayer, but I enjoy shooting it so much, I'll try long range targets with it.

Screenshot_20210303-003503_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210303-003713.jpg
Screenshot_20210303-003721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a No. 1 in 375 WM.
I've heard the mercury thing before. Tell me what it is and how it works.

You know that you are going to have scratch that itch eventually!
I know it. But I recently acquired a CZ .416 Rigby, so for the time being the itch will be tempered by my currently available firearms buying funds, which are depleted right now. And then there's the ammo for it, so it'll be awhile. BUT, I have two more guns on consignment. This madness never ends! Thanks enablers (bastards!)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg