.458 Lott recoil is no joke

Sorry about the necro of this old thread; I’m enjoying the topic and the replies.

One important thing I’ve found when shooting a Lott is stance. I was coached about this, so it’s certainly no brain power from me. The idea is to open up your body to the target, ie shoot more “shotgun-like” with your shoulders more square to what you’re aiming. That will allow more of the mass of your upper torso to absorb the recoil, rather than just your shoulder area if, if your shoulders are lined up with your direction of fire. No doubt boilerplate for you experienced folks, so just FWIW.

Disclaimers…. 6’3”, 215 lbs, using a Mauser M03 in .458 Lott, so gun mass and dude mass might also be helping. Either way, I’m not finding the Lott to be terrible at all.
MD Driver, I agree! Open stance and relax, be flexible/nimble, same as most other sports. I shoot a 577NE and a 500.

You are right, the Lott is not terrible. You just have to relax and "make friends" with it.

Good shooting to all you guys. Brian

PS. Try squeezing the trigger slowly so that when the rifle fires it is kind of a surprise to you. That way you can start the habit of not tightening up (flinch) when the trigger breaks.

Another trick that works like a charm is get someone else to load the rifle for and sometimes he secretly loads an empty case. That will mitigate any flinching habit and help greatly with the perceived recoil. (Try it a few times, ancient Chinese secret. Some people don't realize it but a flinch will emphasize the perceived recoil. Some times we don't realize when we are flinching.)

Last edited:
I put a pacmayr XLT on mine. The secret is to shoot 400 grain bullets in practice. Mine is a Lott from birth. You're probably lucky in rechambering in that you can use the 400 grain Speers loaded long. My throat is too short and likes to pull bullets. There's a guy on a reloading forum that talks about reaming the .458 Lott out with a .458WM reamer for the longer throat. I have considered it, but I'm getting great accuracy right now. I have no desire to go above 500 grains at this time.
I refer to my rifle as "The Businesswoman." She is very attractive, but when it's time to party, it is very clear who is in charge. Fast and furious recoil. I have gotten it under control, but it is not an all day plinker and it is very loud. I would not port it for fear of never wanting to shoot it again. I much prefer my .375 for extended sessions, but even that is a bit rude with hot 300 grainers.
Awesome!

Couple of suggestions:

1. For practice, in addition to your normal recoil pad put a slip on Limbsaver over it.
2. Dry fire 3 or 4 times until you see the same sight picture before and after dry firing it then shoot a live cartridge with the same technique

I just added another pound+ of lead to my 458 lott, she's just sub 12lbs unloaded, was 10 1/2.

Balance point prior was just in front of the mag box, now it's more toward the back of that mag box and I must say, I actually like it better, I don't really feel the extra weight over what it was.

So, it's nice that it also seemed to get me to a balance point I like more while also helping to tame recoil.

I also then went back to a Limbsaver Nitro recoil pad, had been using a Falcon Strike Hydraulic pad here for the last year or so, had the Limbsaver Nitro on prior.

Came to the conclusion that I really like that Nitro more, can't really say it was a difficult choice, other than the money, now $180 or thereabouts into the Nitro pads and I think the Falcon Strike was like $200 or thereabouts. So a $290 learning experience.

Anyway, I got to where I needed to be. The Limbsaver Nitro is a 1 1/2" thick pad for those that want more LOP, or if some of you are actually bottoming out pads, this may be a great answer there as well.

Running Federal's Trophy Bonded Bearclaws and the chrono had the two I tested at 2294 and 2286, so 2290fps it would seem.

Excited to get out after some coyotes with it this winter, I have the preference points, I believe, to get a bear tag next year. I am a caller, so I'll look to call in and shoot either of these species, hoping I can practice some brain shots on coyotes.

Not per se a 458 Lott, this is a 458 Express, which I handload to Lott specs. 500 gr at 2239 fps, rifle is standard Brno Zkk 602, weight 9.3-9.5 lbs, added the red-dot and a new pachmayr recoil pad. Whether right or wrong, I do not square my shoulders to the target, that in my opinion feels odd and will add to recoil, more a shotgun or a 45-60 degree angle of shoulders to target, feet slightly wider than shoulders.

I found as with all in life, the more you practice, the more comfortable you will become
Stephen,

Saturday its that time again I think our CZ rifles are basically the same on specs, weight and looks. Like you I also stand normal just roll with the punches you cannot fight recoil and rifle stock fit is very important.

I also found that with the larger capacity case form the Lott and the Express allows of loading of slower powder which also eases the recoil. My loads run a bit faster than yours and is 103% compressed with no side effects.

See you Saturday!!!

But the LOTT is a rifle to get use too and its takes some time but when youre on it is fun to shoot.

I've heard the Ruger No.1 is notorious for felt recoil compared to many other rifles in the same caliber. They're beautiful rifles, I almost bought one in 416 Rigby.

I had a Ruger No1 in 458 Lott. I can verify that it was totally brutal. Worse recoil than just about anything I’ve ever shot and I’ve fired 4-bores and 577 TRex. Heck, my current Ruger No1 in 450/400 isn’t that comfortable to shoot. It has decent pad but it’s pretty light at around 8.25 lbs.

I have a 470 no1 and the recoil is heavier than my 458 Lott and the Lott is more than a half a pound lighter. It’s more recoil than my 500j and they weigh the same. Still want one in 500.

I have a 470 no1 and the recoil is heavier than my 458 Lott and the Lott is more than a half a pound lighter. It’s more recoil than my 500j and they weigh the same. Still want one in 500.
@Flewis
Sound like tou just like being beat up.
Bob

Are both the Lott and .470 No. 1's? I am also in the camp of wanting a .500.

Get a custom one in .600 Overkill and take your retinas on a real ride! LOL

Heavy loads seemed to bottom out my recoil pad. Working up max loads, recoil wasn't too bad then impact on my shoulder became brutal with another grain or two of powder. Using a strap on shoulder recoil pad tamed it right back down to a heavy thump. But would still rattle your brain a bit, ha ha.
Check out the Browning Reactar Recoil Pad.

Sewn into a thin cotton shooting jacket, about 3.5" by 6.5" and about 7mm thick, very comfortable wearing, and WORKS. I tried it on a whim, and I was surprised. Bought 2 more.

The PAST pad works well when I shoot my Whitworth .458 but increases the LOP, and the geometry of my hold and stance is off.

I can shoot the .458 WM with the Browning Reactor pad, with no flinch or pain among multiple shots.

Browning no longer lists it on their website but Midway has them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 7.16.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 7.16.02 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
Yeah Bob, been married 3 times so it’s what I’m used to.
@Flewis
I've in the same boat with 3 marriages.
The one I'm married to now is a beautiful woman, wonderful wife and a great mother.
The second one was a real angel. She was always up in the air and harping about something. The marriage ended as when I was away she love for play. Her and thee others.
The first one when the marriage broke up she got the gold mine and I got the shaft.
But that's life
Bob.

@Flewis
I've in the same boat with 3 marriages.
The one I'm married to now is a beautiful woman, wonderful wife and a great mother.
The second one was a real angel. She was always up in the air and harping about something. The marriage ended as when I was away she love for play. Her and thee others.
The first one when the marriage broke up she got the gold mine and I got the shaft.
But that's life
Bob.
I’m with you Bob, now little recoil pain is nice because I caused it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rowan458

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.