458 bullets

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a pretty sizeable bunch of woodleigh 500gr for practicing in my 458 Lott and 460 weatherby and had planned to run swift A frame 500 on my hunt but noticed they had some 450gr 458 bullets in stock. With the toughness of the A frames would it be worth going down to the 450gr to pick up some extra velocity since they are tough enough to hold together?

Heavy for caliber tends to be the preference, but I'd your after the 450gr for the wby. it does make for a slight edge if you want to grab some PG while possibly on a buff hunt. 450 gr TSX is a factory load with added velocity for the 460 from Weatherby.

Since you're rolling your own, I say go for it to get the perfect match for your rifle.

I had very good performance with .458 450 grain bullets on ele , buff and plains game at 2150 fps.
The Kodiak 450 grains shot through buff and the North Fork and Punch 450 grain solids on Ele frontal brain shots penetrated through the head and into the body, DRT.
2150 fps was all the velocity needed, but many DG cartridges can beat that if desired.

Oh yes, CEH reminded me that I forgot to mention that the .458 2.4 rifle was a Miroku/Winchester 1886 ,45-90 as seen below. The cartridge holds 96% capacity of a Win Mag and when using modern powder, primers, and bullets, it performs well up into the Win Mag realm. Weighs 10 pounds loaded. And the curved butt plate lets the recoil raise the barrel up rather than back and then back down on target.
52608_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@crs is a really interesting fellow that does well thinking outside of the box.

Or did he just not forget that people took these very same cartridges to Africa many years ago before all the H&H magnum craze? Could he possibly be cooler than the entire .404 Jeffery crowd?

@Forrest Halley, he might just be. I love the old school stuff and that rifle right there is as old school cool as it gets!
If you really think about what he's doing, it's very interesting. Not chasing the latest thunderboom, but applying the latest technology to the overlooked cases of yesterday. He's got some really neat stuff in the .405 double and the .45-90. Makes you'd wonder what could be done with a .45-120 doesn't it...?

Forest,
My Beretta 45-70 double is coming along nicely since I moved to heavier bullets like the 350 grain NF SS and the 405 Grain Remington; both those loads regulate well at 50 yards and I plan to try them at 100 yards this weekend.
This a poor picture of a very handsome rifle:
54679_600x400.jpg

Better pic
54676_600x400.jpg

Forest,
My Beretta 45-70 double is coming along nicely since I moved to heavier bullets like the 350 grain NF SS and the 405 Grain Remington; both those loads regulate well at 50 yards and I plan to try them at 100 yards this weekend.
This a poor picture of a very handsome rifle:
View attachment 422046
Better pic
View attachment 422045

Not sure if you know Reloading International is now importing North Fork bullets from the new manufacturer in Sweden. I bought a ton of 9.3s before they closed the Oregon shop, but will look forward to buying more when I need them. They are ridiculously accurate and fast in my 9.3 - and I know they will also be in anything else I use them in,

I didn't see any 45s showing up yet but yes, North Forks are great bullets- both their bonded soft points and copper FP and CP solids. Hopefully the machines will be kept to same specs and tolerances as when they were produced here.

Baxterb,
Thank you for the notice on NF bullets. I am a long time NF fan and have some left over African loads of 450 grain .458 FPS loaded to 2150 fps, plenty of loaded and spares for my .405 WCF, and two boxes of .458 350 grain SS which I am presently testing in my .458 DR ; Looking good so far.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross