8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada, USA
I has me a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby. It's great to shoot. Quite accurate. It's tough to find reloading data for though. I'm a bit surprised that Hornady hasn't added it to their recent reloading manuals. It's been around along time. I'm looking to see if anyone has any additional reloading data for this round. There are a couple of US sites that have some data for 500 to 550gr bullets, but I was just wondering if anyone has any pet loads? Some PH's & Game Wardens in South Africa helped me as best they could but they could only provide data using Somchem powders.
I have developed loads using Hornady 350gr FLPT bullets (ended up shooting a Whitetail deer with it....long story). I have been able to shoot 3 shot 1" groups (granted 3 shot cloverleafs with a 458 cal bullets is going to cover about an inch) with this calibre using the 350gr bullet. I have some Hornady 500gr DGS & DGX bullets for reloading. My friend also gave me about half a dozen Monolith 600 gr solids...bit nervous about shooting them....I can see pain happening!
Thanks
Julian

8x68,

I have a 450 Rigby as well, that I just had built by American Hunting Rifles in Montana and is based off of a CZ550 Magnum Action (DGR).

The builder sent me his on personal load data, but a disclaimer, I've only used the Barnes loads so use at your own risk. He is a very knowledgable fellow so I'm sure they're good. H4350 is his powder of choice, and he uses it a lot for his big bore rifles.......If you'll PM me, I can send you the Excel file with the data. I also found some load data using South African powders (SoChem), so I can send that as well. I unfortunately don't have any 600 grain load data, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Also you could try here:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/450Rigby.htm

Have fun, but be careful.....And you're right, I can see the stars now with those 600 grain bullets.....:A Stars:

8x68,

I have a 450 Rigby as well, that I just had built by American Hunting Rifles in Montana and is based off of a CZ550 Magnum Action (DGR).

The builder sent me his on personal load data, but a disclaimer, I've only used the Barnes loads so use at your own risk. He is a very knowledgable fellow so I'm sure they're good. H4350 is his powder of choice, and he uses it a lot for his big bore rifles.......If you'll PM me, I can send you the Excel file with the data. I also found some load data using South African powders (SoChem), so I can send that as well. I unfortunately don't have any 600 grain load data, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Also you could try here:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/450Rigby.htm

Have fun, but be careful.....And you're right, I can see the stars now with those 600 grain bullets.....:A Stars:
Trying to figure out how to PM.
Have you seen this article? http://www.huntingsafaris.net/pdf/reloadingtherigby450rimless.pdf

Attachments

• reloadingtherigby450rimless.pdf
    933.6 KB · Views: 532
Last edited by a moderator:
I use RS Big Game and a 500 grain Hornady in mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!