8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, CCFR
Hunted
Canada, USA
I has me a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby. It's great to shoot. Quite accurate. It's tough to find reloading data for though. I'm a bit surprised that Hornady hasn't added it to their recent reloading manuals. It's been around along time. I'm looking to see if anyone has any additional reloading data for this round. There are a couple of US sites that have some data for 500 to 550gr bullets, but I was just wondering if anyone has any pet loads? Some PH's & Game Wardens in South Africa helped me as best they could but they could only provide data using Somchem powders.
I have developed loads using Hornady 350gr FLPT bullets (ended up shooting a Whitetail deer with it....long story). I have been able to shoot 3 shot 1" groups (granted 3 shot cloverleafs with a 458 cal bullets is going to cover about an inch) with this calibre using the 350gr bullet. I have some Hornady 500gr DGS & DGX bullets for reloading. My friend also gave me about half a dozen Monolith 600 gr solids...bit nervous about shooting them....I can see pain happening!
Thanks
Julian

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
8x68,

I have a 450 Rigby as well, that I just had built by American Hunting Rifles in Montana and is based off of a CZ550 Magnum Action (DGR).

The builder sent me his on personal load data, but a disclaimer, I've only used the Barnes loads so use at your own risk. He is a very knowledgable fellow so I'm sure they're good. H4350 is his powder of choice, and he uses it a lot for his big bore rifles.......If you'll PM me, I can send you the Excel file with the data. I also found some load data using South African powders (SoChem), so I can send that as well. I unfortunately don't have any 600 grain load data, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Also you could try here:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/450Rigby.htm

Have fun, but be careful.....And you're right, I can see the stars now with those 600 grain bullets.....:A Stars:

8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, CCFR
Hunted
Canada, USA
8x68,

I have a 450 Rigby as well, that I just had built by American Hunting Rifles in Montana and is based off of a CZ550 Magnum Action (DGR).

The builder sent me his on personal load data, but a disclaimer, I've only used the Barnes loads so use at your own risk. He is a very knowledgable fellow so I'm sure they're good. H4350 is his powder of choice, and he uses it a lot for his big bore rifles.......If you'll PM me, I can send you the Excel file with the data. I also found some load data using South African powders (SoChem), so I can send that as well. I unfortunately don't have any 600 grain load data, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Also you could try here:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/450Rigby.htm

Have fun, but be careful.....And you're right, I can see the stars now with those 600 grain bullets.....:A Stars:
Trying to figure out how to PM.
Have you seen this article? http://www.huntingsafaris.net/pdf/reloadingtherigby450rimless.pdf

Attachments

• reloadingtherigby450rimless.pdf
    933.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:

Spooksar

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
I use RS Big Game and a 500 grain Hornady in mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugues

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J