450 Rigby vs 458 Lott

I know which one i would choose.

The 458 lott is practical, proven, dependable, ammo is accessible in 99% of the hunting situations you would find yourself in.
Its has enough diameter, weight, speed and penetration to do the job for any ph and any client.
In a well balanced rifle the recoil is not hard to get used to and become proficient with.

The 450 rigby can do just a little more in all those categories though.

Is more than a 458 lott needed? No... not until you need it though...

I would choose the 450 rigby as a guide/ph rifle with the 550gr.
I would choose the 458 lott as a client rifle with the 500gr.

I highly doubt any animal will know who shot it with which.
What I do know is that I would be shooting the 450 Rigby!

In a few more days I'll be home and I know which one I'll be shooting....The Lott! In a #1of all things! Just in time for the Fall. Smoke and thunder in the woods!

"The 458 Lott is a killing machine and has been doing it in Africa with ease for many years. 500 grains at 2300 FPS can bring down anything on this planet with a correctly placed shot. "

when I load my 458 Win Mag strongly I also get these data.
But as you know it is no good in AH :E Frightened:

"The 458 Lott is a killing machine and has been doing it in Africa with ease for many years. 500 grains at 2300 FPS can bring down anything on this planet with a correctly placed shot. "

when I load my 458 Win Mag strongly I also get these data.
But as you know it is no good in AH :E Frightened:

Anything that throws a .45 cal, 500 gr bullet at 2300 fps is deadly, it really doesn’t matter what the headstamp says!

I guess I should revive this thread, as I am expecting another Kimber 458 Lott to arrive tomorrow. This one is said to be "as new" so I'm hoping my luck is better with this one. Will post pics soon, if all is well.

I've also been working with a Winchester 70 458 WM that I cut down to 21 1/4". I've been experimenting with some Cutting Edge bullets in different weights and configurations, and have been getting some interesting results. I'll post some results in another thread at some point. So stay tuned.

I thought you were set for all the guns you ever needed with the Blaser R8 and a multitude of barrels? ;)
Bought and sold three R8s this year! No more left. Decided I'm more of a traditional bolt gun type of guy. They are great rifles, but if you want bigger than 375, you're basically stuck with two rifles anyway, since the standard receiver won't accept the larger 416 and 458 barrels.

I’m just glad you didn’t paint yourself into the “Toby416” corner…

Bought and sold three R8s this year! No more left. Decided I'm more of a traditional bolt gun type of guy. They are great rifles, but if you want bigger than 375, you're basically stuck with two rifles anyway, since the standard receiver won't accept the larger 416 and 458 barrels.
In this reply, I meant to say the standard stock doesn't accept the larger barrels. As all of the receivers will accept any barrel.

I guess I should revive this thread, as I am expecting another Kimber 458 Lott to arrive tomorrow. This one is said to be "as new" so I'm hoping my luck is better with this one. Will post pics soon, if all is well.

I've also been working with a Winchester 70 458 WM that I cut down to 21 1/4". I've been experimenting with some Cutting Edge bullets in different weights and configurations, and have been getting some interesting results. I'll post some results in another thread at some point. So stay tuned.
I really expected you to say you had a 458 B&M on the way

I really expected you to say you had a 458 B&M on the way
@michael458 won't allow me in the club. I still own two 375 rifles, and therefore am disqualified. If I denounce their use on anything larger than warf rats, maybe he'd make an exception.....but I doubt it.....lol!

I am sure once you shoot the .458 B&M you will have no use for the .375. Actually if you have those multitude of .458s you have no use for it. It is neither fish nor fowl. Kinda like .35 Wheelen. ;) It is a medium bore that is barely acceptable for DG and for PG there are better options if shooting past 200 yards.

Now, for Alaska/Siberia brown bear a .375 in composite stock would be fine though.

I am sure once you shoot the .458 B&M you will have no use for the .375. Actually if you have those multitude of .458s you have no use for it. It is neither fish nor fowl. Kinda like .35 Wheelen. ;) It is a medium bore that is barely acceptable for DG and for PG there are better options if shooting past 200 yards.

Now, for Alaska/Siberia brown bear a .375 in composite stock would be fine though.
But....but....an AK brown bear is much bigger than a warf rat.....what gives? Haha!

It is a medium bore that is barely acceptable for DG and for PG there are better options if shooting past 200 yards.

^^^This^^^

@michael458 won't allow me in the club. I still own two 375 rifles, and therefore am disqualified.
I suspect one day you will grow up and be a big boy.........rid yourself of those burdens..... You have a great 458 Winchester, and loaded with 250 Socom at 2900 fps will do all the missions required, even PAST 200 yards..........and do it so much better than that rat caliber stuff...... One day, you will see it for yourself......... Now put that 458 to work
maybe he'd make an exception
I don't Compromise.

options if shooting past 200 yards.
Our friend in TN was shooting 3 inch groups at 400 yards with his 18 inch 458 B&M with the 250 Socom. Later he killed the biggest bull moose ever shot in the history of the world at 300 yards with that same rifle, same bullet, same load.......... DRT.........

OMG........ I swear you tread on thin ice, I am keeping notes here.........HEH And you were doing so good with that post until you got to this line.......... WTF? You must be confused, and dazed, I am still keeping notes............. Lesson, Listen.... There is NO SITUATION EVER where that caliber relates to "it would be fine"..............

OMG........ I swear you tread on thin ice, I am keeping notes here.........HEH And you were doing so good with that post until you got to this line.......... WTF? You must be confused, and dazed, I am still keeping notes............. Lesson, Listen.... There is NO SITUATION EVER where that caliber relates to "it would be fine"..............

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I would not take my B&Ms with Turkish or Bastogne stock to Alaska (or Cameroon for that matter). Of course, I recently decided I do not like cold weather. So, Alaska is out for me anyway.

BTW, do you know anyone that wants a left handed McMillian Heritage in .375 H&H that has never been fired?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I would not take my B&Ms with Turkish or Bastogne stock to Alaska (or Cameroon for that matter). Of course, I recently decided I do not like cold weather. So, Alaska is out for me anyway.

BTW, do you know anyone that wants a left handed McMillian Heritage in .375 H&H that has never been fired?

Well, if you were not WRONG HANDED, you could have always put those guns in those little Ultimate stocks, I have about 50+ of those things......... But you are handicapped with wrong handedness... HEH...........

Yeah, making up points I see........... There might be hope for you yet....... But I am watching you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois