450/400 3" weight

Joined
May 3, 2016
Messages
600
Reaction score
755
Location
New Mexico
Media
41
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hello again all! I had a quick question for you all. My current 450/400 3" weighs in at 8lbs even and while I can handle the recoil it strikes me that might be a tad light. If I had some recoil reducers or weights added to the stock, would that throw it's accuracy and regulation off a cliff, or can I safely add a bit of weight to take some of it's bite out? I really appreciate your insight, and thank you!
 
I had mercury recoil reducers put into my Heym 500 NE. It has cut down the recoil by about 25%. I would recommend having a recoil reducer installed .
 
I had mercury recoil reducers put into my Heym 500 NE. It has cut down the recoil by about 25%. I would recommend having a recoil reducer installed .
Thank you for the information! Did it alter the rifles accuracy or regulation at all? I wasn't sure if changes to the stock would also change how it shot.
 
Normally usually most of the time :unsure: adding a recoil reducer to the stock will not affect regulation meaningfully. Indeed, since you won't be anticipating being slobber knocked by the rifle, it will likely improve your overall accuracy with it.
 
Normally usually most of the time :unsure: adding a recoil reducer to the stock will not affect regulation meaningfully. Indeed, since you won't be anticipating being slobber knocked by the rifle, it will likely improve your overall accuracy with it.
Well in that case I think I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow! My first dg hunt is in October and I'm nervous enough as it is lol
 
The only change is less recoil and no flinching at the gun range.
 
The only thing you will need to consider is what it will do the the balance of the rifle. have you gunsmith take that into consideration.
 
The only thing you will need to consider is what it will do the the balance of the rifle. have you gunsmith take that into consideration.
That's a great point, thank you! I dropped it off this morning and the gunsmith was considering putting some of the weight in the fore-end as well to help with the balance. I never would have thought about it!
 
Recoil is like your wife..... you have to tolerate it.

HWL
 
I added this recoil pad to replace horrible red pad on my 470
Don
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.42 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
Well in that case I think I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow! My first dg hunt is in October and I'm nervous enough as it is lol

With the rifle already at the smith.... how is the fit of the gun to you?

I ask because the addition of 0.75" to the stocks LOP on my .470ne made an unbelievable difference in not only the recoil but my ability to shoot it accurately; to get the fit right you REALLY need to have someone else there fitting you that knows what they are doing.
 
With the rifle already at the smith.... how is the fit of the gun to you?

I ask because the addition of 0.75" to the stocks LOP on my .470ne made an unbelievable difference in not only the recoil but my ability to shoot it accurately; to get the fit right you REALLY need to have someone else there fitting you that knows what they are doing.
I think it's a good fit but I should have him look, ty!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,848
Members
169,436
Latest member
Mathewleni
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top