450/400 3" weight

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello again all! I had a quick question for you all. My current 450/400 3" weighs in at 8lbs even and while I can handle the recoil it strikes me that might be a tad light. If I had some recoil reducers or weights added to the stock, would that throw it's accuracy and regulation off a cliff, or can I safely add a bit of weight to take some of it's bite out? I really appreciate your insight, and thank you!

I had mercury recoil reducers put into my Heym 500 NE. It has cut down the recoil by about 25%. I would recommend having a recoil reducer installed .

I had mercury recoil reducers put into my Heym 500 NE. It has cut down the recoil by about 25%. I would recommend having a recoil reducer installed .
Thank you for the information! Did it alter the rifles accuracy or regulation at all? I wasn't sure if changes to the stock would also change how it shot.

Normally usually most of the time :unsure: adding a recoil reducer to the stock will not affect regulation meaningfully. Indeed, since you won't be anticipating being slobber knocked by the rifle, it will likely improve your overall accuracy with it.

Normally usually most of the time :unsure: adding a recoil reducer to the stock will not affect regulation meaningfully. Indeed, since you won't be anticipating being slobber knocked by the rifle, it will likely improve your overall accuracy with it.
Well in that case I think I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow! My first dg hunt is in October and I'm nervous enough as it is lol

The only change is less recoil and no flinching at the gun range.

The only thing you will need to consider is what it will do the the balance of the rifle. have you gunsmith take that into consideration.

The only thing you will need to consider is what it will do the the balance of the rifle. have you gunsmith take that into consideration.
That's a great point, thank you! I dropped it off this morning and the gunsmith was considering putting some of the weight in the fore-end as well to help with the balance. I never would have thought about it!

Recoil is like your wife..... you have to tolerate it.

HWL

I added this recoil pad to replace horrible red pad on my 470
Don

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.42 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 3.12.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Well in that case I think I'll be visiting the gunsmith tomorrow! My first dg hunt is in October and I'm nervous enough as it is lol

With the rifle already at the smith.... how is the fit of the gun to you?

I ask because the addition of 0.75" to the stocks LOP on my .470ne made an unbelievable difference in not only the recoil but my ability to shoot it accurately; to get the fit right you REALLY need to have someone else there fitting you that knows what they are doing.

With the rifle already at the smith.... how is the fit of the gun to you?

I ask because the addition of 0.75" to the stocks LOP on my .470ne made an unbelievable difference in not only the recoil but my ability to shoot it accurately; to get the fit right you REALLY need to have someone else there fitting you that knows what they are doing.
I think it's a good fit but I should have him look, ty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg