4457 question

Ive thought about hitting the CBP office in the McKinney regional airport this year... I used them about 5 years ago and it was a freaking disater.. but I think that was largely due to the turd that called himself a CBP Officer that worked there..

He would only see you by appointment.. I had to call multiple times and leave VM's to get him to answer.. and then he scheduled my "appointment" for about a week out... Only to tell me when I arrived that he was too busy and I'd have to come back the next day...

Went back the next day.. and dealt with 15 minutes of theatrics while he told me how incredibly busy he is, etc.. (funny.. he was a 1 man show out there.. they get no international flights to speak of.. its a freaking regional airport that mostly caters to small private aircraft and MAYBE a couple of times a week some dude in a Gulfstream refuels there en route to somewhere else in the US from his Mexico origination point.. ).. then he just finished the document in 2 minutes and was gone..

After that I just started going back to DFW and dealing with the 45 minute drive and the larger CBP office..

It might be time to give McKinney another try though.. its 10 minutes from the house.. and Id assume the agent that was there 5 years ago is very likely gone at this point... its impossible that they would have replaced him with someone less competent.. so its either the same now.. or has improved to at least some degree lol...
I've been dealing with the same agent since 2012 so it might be good to call ahead. Unless he's retired or transferred, he still might be there.
 
Ive thought about hitting the CBP office in the McKinney regional airport this year... I used them about 5 years ago and it was a freaking disater.. but I think that was largely due to the turd that called himself a CBP Officer that worked there..

He would only see you by appointment.. I had to call multiple times and leave VM's to get him to answer.. and then he scheduled my "appointment" for about a week out... Only to tell me when I arrived that he was too busy and I'd have to come back the next day...

Went back the next day.. and dealt with 15 minutes of theatrics while he told me how incredibly busy he is, etc.. (funny.. he was a 1 man show out there.. they get no international flights to speak of.. its a freaking regional airport that mostly caters to small private aircraft and MAYBE a couple of times a week some dude in a Gulfstream refuels there en route to somewhere else in the US from his Mexico origination point.. ).. then he just finished the document in 2 minutes and was gone..

After that I just started going back to DFW and dealing with the 45 minute drive and the larger CBP office..

It might be time to give McKinney another try though.. its 10 minutes from the house.. and Id assume the agent that was there 5 years ago is very likely gone at this point... its impossible that they would have replaced him with someone less competent.. so its either the same now.. or has improved to at least some degree lol...
I just gave them a call since McKinney is closer for me. Spoke to an "Officer Harris". He said no appointment necessary just give him a call the day of to make sure he will be around. Was very adamant about bringing in rifles with no mags / bolts open or removed completely and that they had to be in a soft or hard case. He highlighted that if he found any ammunition or brass of any kind he would "not clear me then or ever in the future". Other than that he seemed to know the process. Im going to give it a try on Thursday and see what happens
 
I just gave them a call since McKinney is closer for me. Spoke to an "Officer Harris". He said no appointment necessary just give him a call the day of to make sure he will be around. Was very adamant about bringing in rifles with no mags / bolts open or removed completely and that they had to be in a soft or hard case. He highlighted that if he found any ammunition or brass of any kind he would "not clear me then or ever in the future". Other than that he seemed to know the process. Im going to give it a try on Thursday and see what happens
Yep, when on their playground you play by their rules.

Also common sense goes a long ways.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MTA
For me the closest office is Sugarland. The guy that used to be there did them all the time. Now,new officer since2021 refuses to do them and says go it Hobby or Intercontinental. Last year I found the Freeport port office will do them. I take the 1.5 hour back country roads and go there. Instead of fighting Houston.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MTA
Just wanted to bump this for DFW folks. The process at McKinney Airport was good. The CBP Officer is Officer Hairston. He mentioned that he is stationed there until he retires in 6 years.

Give him a call before you plan on being there so he can make sure he is available. He is very particular about rifles being cased, bolts removed or pulled back and no ammunition or brass being present in the case at all. He will use his own forms too.

He seems to be well-versed in the nonsense that SAPS pulls with 4457s so he keeps up on changes. Overall a very good experience
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,423
Messages
1,575,752
Members
170,387
Latest member
JessieBabi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top