YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
Can anyone give me some advise on the best powder to use for a reduced 44 mag load? I bought a great deal on some 200gr cooper plated round nose and I also picked up a bunch of cast bullets, also 200gr.

I am only about 30 miles from both Midway and Graf's, so I am pretty lucky when it comes to finding powders close by.

A lot of the lever gun 'cowboy action' shooters at the club use Unique to good effect. Think convention is to go with a .44spl type loading of about 6-7gr, making roughly 1000fps.

These are primarily with cast lead bullets, but I'd imagine it'd work fine for your application.

Sadly never had a chance to play with pistols in this calibre, so can't comment.

I've used "plinking" loads on my 44 Mag, using 240 grs LSW bullets. I've used Winchester 231, and Unique (a bit dirty). I think both powder are great for "reduced" loads. I've attached the link to Winchester's 231 using 200 grs lead bullet. I believe this will give you a good starting point, and see what your pistol likes. BTW, I'm sure there are prob better powders out there, but this is what I've used.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

p.s. I've killed hogs with these reduced loads. (y)

I've used "plinking" loads on my 44 Mag, using 240 grs LSW bullets. I've used Winchester 231, and Unique (a bit dirty). I think both powder are great for "reduced" loads. I've attached the link to Winchester's 231 using 200 grs lead bullet. I believe this will give you a good starting point, and see what your pistol likes. BTW, I'm sure there are prob better powders out there, but this is what I've used.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

p.s. I've killed hogs with these reduced loads. (y)

Well the good news, I have 16lbs of W231 that I bought about a week before the 2016 election, so I hope it works!

Lyman is a bit more aggressive in their loading data,
9.3 to 12.8 of 231 with their 429215 bullet. Max pressure is 37,000 CUP in their data.

As others have stated, start low and work your way up.

I have narrowed my 44 mag loadings down to just 2 powders. Unique and H110, Unique for the lead or reduced loads and the H110 for the full house hunting loads.

I use Trail Boss for 240 GRat 1000fps and step up to Clays Universal for 240 GR at 1200fps. If I want to go max I use H110 or AA#9.

I’ve been migrating to HS-6 for midrange loads in my revolvers.

I’ve been meaning to get around to loading some trail boss loads for the 44 but haven’t got away from loading the 470 lately! I’m not going to know how to act dumping less than 118 grains in a case!

Thank you all. I loaded a dozen each yesterday with W231 and Titegroup. I didn't test the speeds, but both shot well and were comfortable to shoot. I'm shooting these in a Redhawk with a 5" barrel, so it does do a pretty good job sucking up recoil.

Glad to hear you already found the desired result, but this is worth mentioning and just a little bit of info to store in that back of the brain file named "Danger Will Robinson!!! DO NOT reduced loads when using Winchester 296. I won't argue the existence of double detonation, but if the powder manufacture says don't do this, because this can happen. Good enough for me. 296 Was one of the first powders I ever started loading with, I have seen a couple of odd things loading 41 mag. It was enough to cause me to switch to IMR 4227. Most of all be safe and have fun, isn't that what it is all about ?

Thank you all. I loaded a dozen each yesterday with W231 and Titegroup. I didn't test the speeds, but both shot well and were comfortable to shoot. I'm shooting these in a Redhawk with a 5" barrel, so it does do a pretty good job sucking up recoil.

Outstanding, and glad you found a load that it is comfortable to shoot. There is no need to beat yourself or your handgun (even though the Ruger is strong enough) up with max 44 Mag loads, have fun and enjoy the 44.

For reduced pistol loads, Trailboss is one of the best if not the best powder. It's a very fast, easy to ignite, low density, flake powder. Little or no detonation potential. Almost can't overcharge using it in high expansion ratio pistol cartridges. It drops very accurately/consistently out of a measure because of its extremely low density.

Data on Hodgdon's site. Just select cartridge, bullet and powder
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.21.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.21.38 AM.png
    768.9 KB · Views: 71

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg