416 Rigby Hang Fire

Slim pickins in times of high demand/shortages but those double hit ship/hazmat charges really bite! You can combine quite a bit of stuff but still... ugh! I think outfits Like Grafs have more reasonable fees but they and the other normal ones like Midway, Precision Reloading, Powder Valley, Midsouth, etc. all seem to be out :( I have gotten supplies from Bruno and they are fairly easy to deal with and I had a friend who could pick it up as he regularly passed through Phoenix.
 
Yea they hit you with a $37 hazmat fee and $22 Shipping for one 1000 pack of primers!

At least the hazmat fee is something you'll get hit with other vendors, and I think the shipping is also higher for powder and primers with others too. So yah, you want to buy is much as you need and then some if they have something else you want.

Fortunately, Bruno's has had a way of coming up with what I've needed in a reasonable amount of time and it's a 45 minute drive for me to go get it at their shop.
 
I found these in a local store today. This should suffice for quite awhile at my current rate of fire!
20200824_155518.jpg
 
one good thing about a hangfire is that it really tests your follow through:oops::rolleyes:
i had some original kynoch 450 nitro ammo that hung fire for up to a second, and sometimes longer.
you really had to sharpen yourself up shooting that.
bruce.
 
one good thing about a hangfire is that it really tests your follow through:oops::rolleyes:
i had some original kynoch 450 nitro ammo that hung fire for up to a second, and sometimes longer.
you really had to sharpen yourself up shooting that.
bruce.

And keep some clean shorts nearby!
 
I have read about old military sniper training ammo that was was designed to hang fire. The man told me they had special primers to delay the ignition.This was to address the flinch as Bruce mentioned.
I will say that it’s just hearsay and I don’t know of any sources to prove it existed,
 
I think the acuity of the various human senses is pretty amazing. The sensors in the skin can detect very slight imperfections on a surface that require a microscope to see. Same for the sensation of the hang fire. If you shoot a lot and are truly tuned into correct trigger let off and pin drop and primer/charge ignition... I would imagine you could detect even the slightest/shortest of hang fires. At one time I could detect (hear and feel) all the individual mechanics of the firing sequence and notice differences between fast ignition rifles and handguns and slow ones. Not quite so tuned in now because age though. I remember a particular BRNO bolt gun I had in 22 Hornet- and a slick little rifle it was. That thing had a firing sequence of sound and feel unlike any other gun I've ever shot- before or since. A definite high pitched metallic "tink" in between trigger let off and primer strike. That was a type of hang fire of extremely short duration within the mechanics of the rifle and not in the ammo- but at least it was consistent. :) Any hang fire can be downright disconcerting!...particularly those that are unpredictable and of different durations.
 
458,
did that little brno have a set trigger?
set triggers will give that sensation.
while lighter, they actually increase lock time noticeably.
you can also sense a difference in locktime between a rem 700 and a military mauser.
bruce.
 
Pretty interesting stuff really. If tuned into it like competitive bench rest type shooters can get, the lock time can be distinguished and separated from any hang fire of the ammo. And yes some actions have really sluggish lock times. :)

As far as the little BRNO- it had a single, non set trigger. Been awhile, but IIRC it was fairly simple trigger and partially adjustable. That "tink" was right at the impact of the pin on the primer. I never could pin down the exact source though.

I do know the sensation of a set trigger system particularly if it has a fly. On some of them you can feel the vibration as the sear nose pops off its notch then hits and rides over the fly on its way forward, and depending on design, then the impact on the transfer bar.... I think as the number of mechanical chain of parts increases there may well be an increase in lock time.

Also hope that the Fed Mag primers solves Toby's ignition issue with the big Rigby!
 
Last edited:
I had similar issues with my 500 Jeffery trying to load less than max velocity rounds. I too have been reloading for many years. I went with Federal 215 primers and load about 2 grains below max and haven't had any issues since then.
 
If you don’t mind eating some hazmat... Bruno Shooters Supply in Phoenix shows both Fed Mag and CCI #34s in stock.

And I’d still recommend trying H 4831 or
H 4831SC or H 4350. A 5 or 6 grain charge difference between powders only accounts for a difference of about 3 ft lbs of recoil energy- hardly if any noticeable difference in “feel”, IMO :)

By all means doubt what I say about the recoil, just let me know how your should felt the difference between the two. Total difference in the sharpness and strength of the felt recoil.
 
I finally got around to loading some ammo with Federal 215 M primers today. Load was 92.5gr RL22. A starting load in the Swift manual. No hangfire at all, and the recoil was a big push, instead of the sharp jolt of the Hornady factory loads. So the rifle is very shootable, and the load should be in the 404 Jeffery range.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,440
Messages
1,576,394
Members
170,573
Latest member
LachlanPhi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top