404 Jeffery builders

ParkWest which was previously Dakota. Dakota and Montana rifle chambered the 404 but would be lucky to find one.

If Montana comes back, as they are rumored to be, they could make one. I have a feeling that they will be going with the modern trends though, rather than CRF rifles.

The gentleman who built mine, for whom I have great fondness…

will not adorn that list

$4500 and I chucked it straight in the garbage can

I’ve now gone down the R8 route

If that proves a dead end, I’ll abandon 404j and go for a 458 Lott
j

No name needed but just curious did it not shoot well or just not made to the specifications you ordered?

Wouldn’t cycle - as it was to be used as a guides rifle, where reliability trumps all, it was of no use

Spent to much trying to make it work under pressure

in the end, having tried to give it away on here, where it MIGHT have made an adequate hunting rifle, I chucked it.

I couldn’t keep it as restrictive licensing rules required me to get rid of it before requesting permission to get another

Seems I remember you trying to give that rifle away in the “pay it forward” section.

Can’t believe no one took you up on that offer, believe I would have.

Seems I remember you trying to give that rifle away in the “pay it forward” section.

Can’t believe no one took you up on that offer, believe I would have.

a gentleman on here did, but restrictive rules prevented him from importing it to the US

So no one benefitted from my misfortune

j

In fact every gunsmith, who learned his profession adequately, should be able to build a rifle in this caliber...

Of course there are black sheep, but if quality parts are used (e.g. the right Mauser, GMA, MRC,... actions and a quality barrel brand) a magnificent rifle is born...

In fact every gunsmith, who learned his profession adequately, should be able to build a rifle in this caliber...

Of course there are black sheep, but if quality parts are used (e.g. the right Mauser, GMA, MRC,... actions and a quality barrel brand) a magnificent rifle is born...

So long as you follow Paul Mauser’s guiding principles for Mauser 98

If you don’t follow (or know them) then a rubbish action you do make

Learned the hard way - like most good lessons of life

So long as you follow Paul Mauser’s guiding principles for Mauser 98

If you don’t follow (or know them) then a rubbish action you do make

Learned the hard way - like most good lessons of life
That's exactly what I meant with "learned adequately".

It's a pity, that you had to make this experience...

Ralf Martini in Canada built a very practical .404 bolt gun for me (and a .300 H&H on a Hagn Action). The .404 was built to be carried all day. He's a fine person and a great gun builder. Many other makers mentioned thus far as also noteworthy.

Martini 404.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ralf Martini in Canada built a very practical .404 bolt gun for me (and a .300 H&H on a Hagn Action). The .404 was built to be carried all day. He's a fine person and a great gun builder. Many other makers mentioned thus far as also noteworthy.
Thank you. I’m looking for a gun to use and take some abuse that I’d surely put it thru in all of Africa. I don’t want to buy a safe queen. Really a well used gun was my thought but seems as though it’s a tuff one to find.

All the names on that list are capable of building a once in a lifetime rifle. Have on built, spend the money, you won’t regret it.

Can now add W J Jeffery to the list!
Reimer Johannsen
Dorleac & Dorleac
Westley Richards
Hambrusch
George Gibbs
Griffin & Howe
Ryan Breeding
John Bolliger
Reto Buehller
Joe Smithson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MirandaU08

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.