.404 Jeffery - a long awaited call...

Congrats! Great looking lines. Nice piece of wood as well.

As for scope options - any quality brand in the 1-4× or 1-6× region of magnification would be good. Having a "true 1×" at the lower end eliminates any need for a separate red dot sight.

However, if you need the light gathering capabilities of a larger objective, then true 1× is not an option as far as I'm aware.

I have an older Swarovski Habicht 1.5-6×42 on mine. Love it. Also have a Khales Helia 1-5×24 which I considered, but it is simply not as good in dusk/dawn lighting conditions. But if your hunting is mainly done in daylight conditions, the objective size isn't that important.

Going higher than 6× (or possibly 8×) is not really necessary IMHO.

Great looking gun in a fantastic caliber. Who built it? What ammo are you going to use? Both of my 404(s) have low powered scopes with German Number 4 reticles. After a lot of soul searching and thinking about the sizes of the animals and the respective distances at which most of them would be shot, I settled for a 75 YD. zero. At short distances high powered scopes are not necessary.

Great looking gun in a fantastic caliber. Who built it? What ammo are you going to use? Both of my 404(s) have low powered scopes with German Number 4 reticles. After a lot of soul searching and thinking about the sizes of the animals and the respective distances at which most of them would be shot, I settled for a 75 YD. zero. At short distances high powered scopes are not necessary.
It was built by an Austrian gunsmith (not in Ferlach).

I am going to use Barnes TSX 400 gr, but the perfect load still has to be found. It's not that easy any more, because some powders are not available any more here in Austria...

I probably would be able to get a Z8i for around 2.300€, but I am also thinking about the Kahles 1-5x24, which costs around 1.450 €
I would go with the Kahles if I were you. That is plenty of range for most PG situations you'd be in and you can put the money you save over the Swaro towards your hunt.

Congrats on the new rifle!

FloHamed18, for what it is worth a number of us have used 84 Gr. of H4350 / AR 2209 and a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame or a Woodleigh PP. Velocity is 2300 FPS out of a 24" barrel. Accuracy is excellent, under 1" in both of my guns and many others as well.

I would go with the Kahles if I were you. That is plenty of range for most PG situations you'd be in and you can put the money you save over the Swaro towards your hunt.

Congrats on the new rifle!
After sleeping it over I ordered the Kahles 1-5x24.

As I understood some of you, it should be pretty enough for 99,9% of hunting Buffalo and some of the bigger PG situations during one Safari...

"Helena" arrived today together with the mounted Kahles and the loaded Barnes TSX bullets...

20220720_180852(0).jpg

Seems they like each other at 100m :)

Now it's up to me to start the training

20220720_181005.jpg

A handsome rifle. Enjoy!

Fantastic! Yes, a competent gunsmith can work wonders with a Montana Rifle Co. action. What’s the magazine capacity? Three plus one ?

FloHamed18, it looks like you have a winner for sure. A slight sight correction and a couple of shots to verify it and you can be Africa bound!!

I tried to buy a MRC action to build a gun off of. The seller never got back to me sadyly. Great rifle there!
Always look for a Granite Mountain Arms Magnum Mauser action first, Captain. Paul Mauser might have invented the Mauser 98 action. But Mike Roden made them better.

Always look for a Granite Mountain Arms Magnum Mauser action first, Captain. Paul Mauser might have invented the Mauser 98 action. But Mike Roden made them better.
I have haha. They are a bit to pricey for me now. The MRC action was only 800 some dollars. I can wait a few more years and get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.