Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Made it back out to the range yesterday and checked the new loads

400gr Aframes with AA2230 2175fps
400gr woodleigh with AA2495 2170fps

So I now have softs worked out and the solids are hitting within 3/4 in of the softs so I now have some working loads to work with.
@AZDAVE
You have to love it when a plan comes together.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I wonder how well a Model 70 would convert to 400? Did you have to modify the feed ramp or rails on your Mauser?
@TOBY458
Mate just get a,Stevens 200 cheap. It's got a center feed with staggered box. Feeds like a new born baby. Get an MAB barrel, competition recoil lug or square up the original and a rifle Basix trigger and you will have a very accurate 400 Whelen that feeds like silk.
Bob

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
@TOBY458
Mate just get a,Stevens 200 cheap. It's got a center feed with staggered box. Feeds like a new born baby. Get an MAB barrel, competition recoil lug or square up the original and a rifle Basix trigger and you will have a very accurate 400 Whelen that feeds like silk.
Bob
I'm sure that would work just fine. I just have an affection for the Model 70.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen well I have the 400gr bullets sorted and the rifle easily met my goals for having a 450/400 ballistics level in a bolt gun. now I have some 350gr bullets I will work with to see how they will perform.

@TOBY458 any long action (270-30/06) model 70 will be very easy to convert to a 400 Whelen. Mine is built on a standard 98 mauser action. if my memory serves me @Milehighshooter built his 400 on a M70 action.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Made it back out to the range and was able to meet my goal for 350gr softs of 2300fps or better. Swift Aframes at 2320, I have more room pressure wise but why push. The 350gr CEB solids wouldn't feed correctly, so I will work with seating depth and see if I can get them to work. The speeds were on par with my Aframe loads.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
It simply amazes me how one can get those velocities with a 400gr bullet out of an ‘06 case? I guess that’s why the wildcats fascinate me. Great looking rifle and cartridge!
@CoElkHunter
It amazes you the velocity I get out of the 35 Whelen as well but to great men that have a desire to experiment make @AZDAVE and myself all things are possible.
They say fortune follows the brave but I don't know I'm still waiting for my fortune.
Bob

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
@CoElkHunter
It amazes you the velocity I get out of the 35 Whelen as well but to great men that have a desire to experiment make @AZDAVE and myself all things are possible.
They say fortune follows the brave but I don't know I'm still waiting for my fortune.
Bob
Bob,
I don’t know if you’ll ever find your fortune, but you surely are a brave “soldier of misfortune” here on AH. Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob,
I don’t know if you’ll ever find your fortune, but you surely are a brave “soldier of misfortune” here on AH. Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Mate I have a fortune.
A beautiful wife to love and who loves me
A great son that I can hunt with, that I am proud of as well as a daughter who became a doctor that I'm proud of
A few real friends
The opportunity to share my experiences with others and learn from them.
So as you can see I am a very rich man just not in monetary terms but in terms that to me will forever make me a wealthy man.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob,
CEH
@CoElkHunter
I don't know about a soldier of misfortune but I do have the Midas touch in reverse at times.
At times everything I touch turns to crap but it could be worse.
I could be forced to hunt with a 243 or manbun, but that's not hunting that's suffering. That would be worse than misfortune.
I would prefer to take a long walk in a shot paddock than subject myself to such humiliation.
Bob

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
@CoElkHunter
Mate I have a fortune.
A beautiful wife to love and who loves me
A great son that I can hunt with, that I am proud of as well as a daughter who became a doctor that I'm proud of
A few real friends
The opportunity to share my experiences with others and learn from them.
So as you can see I am a very rich man just not in monetary terms but in terms that to me will forever make me a wealthy man.
Bob
Very well said Bob. And your “misfortunes” of having shoulder and foot surgery and owning a .35 Whelen instead of a .338WM, will/can be overcome with time. Time heals most/all things.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Very well said Bob. And your “misfortunes” of having shoulder and foot surgery and owning a .35 Whelen instead of a .338WM, will/can be overcome with time. Time heals most/all things.
@CoElkHunter
The Whelen is 40 odd years older than the wimpy 338 wimpchester supposed magnum. Even Winchester usual bullshit has failed to equal a properly loaded Whelen.
Yes you are forgiven for not having a real 35 Whelen and settling for the 338. Some one has to use second best and it sure ain't WHELEN USERS. We use c.f. real men's guns.
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurenMull

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?