.375 vs .404 jeffry

I’m curious, How is it a 404 J sending a 400 gr bullet at 2100fps is the greatest thing ever and a 10.75x68 doing the same thing is useless?
The original semi-anemic 404 factory loads from Jeffery were 400 gr @ 2150 fps. Mauser's factory loads for 10.75x68 were 347 gr (NOT 400 gr) @ 2200 fps. Big difference in bullet mass. Today one can buy factory 400 gr for the 404 @ +2300 fps.

The original semi-anemic 404 factory loads from Jeffery were 400 gr @ 2150 fps. Mauser's factory loads for 10.75x68 were 347 gr (NOT 400 gr) @ 2200 fps. Big difference in bullet mass.
The Jeff’s original “semi-anemic” loads with .423”/400grn bullets were closer to 2050-2100fps from a 23”-24” barrel. Most ammo companies tested their loads from 25”-26” or longer barrels, so you have to factor actual velocity from the barrel of a real-world rifle carried in the field.

Kynoch, I believe, claimed “2125”fps as the velocity of their 400grn .404 load but that was from a 28” barrel. From a 23-24” barrel, they spec-ed it at 1975fps.

All that said, the original .404J ammo still killed a lot of the Really Big Stuff as in ‘dead right now.’ …. And that was back when the bullets used were only of inconsistent “so-so” quality. There were many examples of catastrophic bullet failures on dangerous game. Pondoro Taylor talks about this. But poor bullet tech was the problem, not lack of velocity.

Today one can buy factory 400 gr for the 404 @ +2300 fps.
Correct, and actually it’s 2350fps.

The additional 250fps (and with modern projectiles, by the way) being totally unnecessary. The .404J’s original velocity window with 400grn bullets worked just fine in the field and made a 9lb rifle no worse to handle and shoot than a .375H&H with stiff 300grn ammo.

Last edited:
I’m curious, How is it a 404 J sending a 400 gr bullet at 2100fps is the greatest thing ever and a 10.75x68 doing the same thing is useless?
It shoots a heavier bullet 400gr up to 2350fps vs 347gr bullet....

Magnum action is better suited for a 404 Jeff as well as its big brother the 500 Jeff although both have been built on standard length actions.....

The Jeff’s original “semi-anemic” loads with .423”/400grn bullets were closer to 2050-2100fps from a 23”-24” barrel. Most ammo companies tested their loads from 25”-26” or longer barrels, so you have to factor actual velocity from the barrel of a real-world rifle carried in the field.

Kynoch, I believe, claimed “2125”fps as the velocity of their 400grn .404 load but that was from a 28” barrel. From a 23-24” barrel, they spec-ed it at 1975fps.

All that said, the original .404J ammo still killed a lot of the Really Big Stuff as in ‘dead right now.’ …. And that was back when the bullets used were only of inconsistent “so-so” quality. There were many examples of catastrophic bullet failures on dangerous game. Pondoro Taylor talks about this. But poor bullet tech was the problem, not lack of velocity.

Correct, and actually it’s 2350fps.

The additional 250fps (and with modern projectiles, by the way) being totally unnecessary. The .404J’s original velocity window with 400grn bullets worked just fine in the field and made a 9lb rifle no worse to handle and shoot than a .375H&H with stiff 300grn ammo.
The lower velocity back in the old days was probably why it performed as well as it did. The bullets of the time were more the problem than anything else. They probably held up better at 2000 fps than they would at 2400 fps.

Last edited:
I used 400 grain flat nosed solids at 2150-2200 feet per second out of my 404Jeffery on a big bull hippo in August and they preformed great. Wonderful penetration. Could I have them loaded faster, sure but 400 grain bullets at 2150-2200 feet/second for the job done with a bit less recoil so I’m gonna stick with that going forward. YMMV

I was trying to familiarize myself with the 10mm Mauser "idiot" cartridge mentioned earlier when I stumbled on this delightful article re "The All Round" [African] cartridge. Very well written. However, I'm not sure I agree with the author's statement knocking the 404 Jeffery from contention simply because building one requires a "top grade gunsmith" to make them feed properly. I did it and I've never claimed to be a gunsmith. "Top grade?" Well okay, he might be onto something there. :D
<snip>

You can probably find it searching for the title and I believe the author's first name is Chet.

I believe you are referring to the article 'The "All Round Rifle" And Other Slippery Shibboleths' by the late Don Heath, a.k.a. Ganyana, formerly with the Nat'l Parks dept. in Zimbabwe. IIRC he was the man Norma hired to develop their "African PH" line of ammuniton - at least he was working for them around the time they were released. I would say that he knew a thing or two about African game and the means to dispatch them.

However, I do agree with you regarding the feeding. Can't really see what makes the 404 more difficult than say a 416 Rigby or 9.3x62. Perhaps he was referring to the fact that at the time the article was written, there were no factory rifles being chambered in 404 - so it was always going to be a custom job? Since then some manufacturers have started producing them. Heym, Sauer, Mauser and perhaps also Blaser if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: found an article from this forum: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/in-memoriam-professional-hunter-don-heath-passes-away.24482/

Part of the feeding issue with 404Js (if there is indeed an issue) is that many are built on standard Mauser actions, which are a bit too short in the action, magazine and follower. They do take some careful work as many here have realized. On a long (magnum) action that has the correct Mauser style bottom metal and follower the 404J feeds as slick as goose sh!t. Pierre van der Walt makes a point of this in discussing the 404J in his book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges.

Part of the feeding issue with 404Js (if there is indeed an issue) is that many are built on standard Mauser actions, which are a bit too short in the action, magazine and follower. They do take some careful work as many here have realized. On a long (magnum) action that has the correct Mauser style bottom metal and follower the 404J feeds as slick as goose sh!t. Pierre van der Walt makes a point of this in discussing the 404J in his book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges.
That is of course true, but is not specific to the 404. I guess that similar problems could arise for any cartridge if the chosen action is too short. Other cartridges may in themselves be more tricky and require more attention to detail regarding the gunsmithing. I believe that rebated rims (e.g. 425 WR) could be one of those design features, but I've never handled/shot any of those.

Luckily, Sako made their normal long actions for the L61/AIII/AIV/AV models long enough. My 404 feeds very nicely. The lips and ramp are modified, and the mag box as well. Follower is still the original.

I might be a bit fortunate in the 'mauser-formula' department, since at one time on the range I noticed that I could load 4 cartridges down, instead of the normal 3. It turned out that I had forgotten to put in the mag box when I cleaned the rifle the previous week:E Doh:, so now the 'magazine' was only the wood of the surrounding magazine well. It still fed nicely, though. But of course I quickly re-installed the mag box, as the cartridges were moving more freely under recoil and would have started to affect the wood when hitting (being hit by) the front wall.

My understanding is that is how the original .404s were built on the Mauser actions. The sides and front of the magazine box on the Mauser bottom metal was cut off, leaving just the rear wall of the mag box. The wood of the stock inletting became the mag box, with a metal plate added to forward stock inlet to guard against bullet noses under recoil.

Reactions: cmk
Exactly.....

My understanding is that is how the original .404s were built on the Mauser actions. The sides and front of the magazine box on the Mauser bottom metal was cut off, leaving just the rear wall of the mag box. The wood of the stock inletting became the mag box, with a metal plate added to forward stock inlet to guard against bullet noses under recoil.
I've seen such pictures myself. And that would probably work fine if the dimensions of the inletting are good, after all, there are no real stresses or forces acting sideways so to speak. In my case it was just wood on all four sides. Not an ideal long-term solution.

I've seen such pictures myself. And that would probably work fine if the dimensions of the inletting are good, after all, there are no real stresses or forces acting sideways so to speak. In my case it was just wood on all four sides. Not an ideal long-term solution.
This is also typical of blind magazine rifles - the magazine well in the stock is the magazine - no magazine box per se.

Reactions: cmk
My standard action 98 Mauser feeds 404 shells "slick as goose shit." I bought a magnum length follower from New England Custom Gun but it really wasn't necessary. By the time the cartridge being loaded has hit the end of the shorter standard follower, it should be well into the chamber and fully into position under the extractor on the bolt face. The magnum follower did require minor modification to load the final cartridge and grasp narrower spring.
20230909_130729.jpg

Standard length action does have the advantage of being lighter weight and shorter stroke to cycle. My bottom metal was changed to aftermarket custom rather than attempting to modify the existing original military equipment. Mauser standard action is long enough. For forty years Ruark's PH Harold Selby used a standard action Mauser converted to 416 Rigby, which is an even longer cartridge than 404J.

Getting the extractor right was perhaps the most challenging modification for my build. Required a lot of fiddling before I finally determined this extractor had too much tension. Way too much (I had to pry it off the bolt with a screwdriver). Extractor claw was not flexing enough to allow snap over and cartridges loaded from magazine were not climbing onto bolt face efficiently. Once I relieved some of the spring tension, both issues resolved.

My standard action 98 Mauser feeds 404 shells "slick as goose shit." I bought a magnum length follower from New England Custom Gun but it really wasn't necessary. By the time the cartridge being loaded has hit the end of the shorter standard follower, it should be well into the chamber and fully into position under the extractor on the bolt face. The magnum follower did require minor modification to load the final cartridge and grasp narrower spring.
View attachment 578778
Custom work? …. Good gawd, what chewed up that follower? A rabid hyena?

The original semi-anemic 404 factory loads from Jeffery were 400 gr @ 2150 fps. Mauser's factory loads for 10.75x68 were 347 gr (NOT 400 gr) @ 2200 fps. Big difference in bullet mass. Today one can buy factory 400 gr for the 404 @ +2300 fps.
I was referring to a 10.75x68 with hand loaded modern bullets of 400 gr achieving 2100 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. This is routinely achieved. It seems it mirrors the original specs of a 404 J which is what made the round famous. In addition, no feeding issues. IMO there is no real justification to criticize this round in the modern era. It will kill anything on the planet just as well as an original 404J did. It seems like this obsolete cartridge is ripe for a rebirth

Custom work? …. Good gawd, what chewed up that follower? A rabid hyena?
I should update that photo. Final version is polished and looks somewhat better. The placement of the gouge is what makes it feed slick ... for the final round anyway. Actually, it was custom gunmaker Dennis Olsen who tipped me off to the necessity of customizing the follower last. Get left feeding rail to feed, then the right rail, then leave them alone and tune the follower to make the last round feed. He says he often gets clients who gripe about the follower being buggered. "The rifle cycles. Isn't that what ya wanted?" I agree with his logic. Kinda silly to get bent out of shape over something that no one really looks at anyway. Or it's covered with ammo and can't be seen. I guess I would be upset if the chamber was left rough (a la Remington 870 Express). Also an unseen blemish but it makes the gun operate poorly. This unsightly modification makes it operate properly.
17045569858651854017209282731728.jpg

Note the positioning of the gouge. It doesn't run to the back end of the follower because then the bolt wouldn't grab the rim and or the cartridge would jump the right rail entirely. Gouge is placed where the cartridge needs to slip sideways to the left just enough to jump up the bolt face under extractor. At that point the bullet has climbed the ramp and is captured by the chamber. The cartridge is caught by the bolt/claw and has no place to go but ahead into chamber.

Last edited:
I would disagree with you on Jeffery cutting the front and side magazine metal.
I have original jeffery standard mauser action rifle. All magazine metal is intact magazine holds 3 rds.

There may have been ones that have had the metal cut. I believe there with several makers of Jeffery rifle, sold under the Jeffery name. I can only speak for mine.

I was referring to a 10.75x68 with hand loaded modern bullets of 400 gr achieving 2100 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. This is routinely achieved. It seems it mirrors the original specs of a 404 J which is what made the round famous. In addition, no feeding issues. IMO there is no real justification to criticize this round in the modern era. It will kill anything on the planet just as well as an original 404J did. It seems like this obsolete cartridge is ripe for a rebirth
I agree. Like many others have said, if one wants the same 400 gr velocity of a 416 Rigby, he should shoot a 416 Rigby. The only caveat might be that modern copper bullets require speed for best performance. But does one even need 400 gr bullets in copper for sufficient performance? I don't think so. Step down to 350 gr for the gas and recoil will still be tamed. Now if we can just get more bullet makers to produce 350 or 300 gr 404 Jeffery that would be nice (or produce any 404J bullets).

So I was looking at maybe purchasing a Montana rifle chambered in .404 Jeffry.

Then I started looking at what I had vs what I would be getting, and charted it out.
For a .375 Ruger with 300 grain bullets
Energy. 4,713 ft/lbs
SD .304
Frontal area .110 square inches

.404 Jeffry with 400 grain bullets
Energy 4,698 ft/lbs
SD .320
Frontal area .139 square inches

Energy was taken from Wikipedia
I used 300 grain for the .375 because that is standard DG solid 270 grain has more energy but I don’t know if any 270 grain solids
I used 400 grain for Jeffry because the listed energy for 450 was much lower due to much lower velocity. 350 grain gave up a lot of SD.
I used frontal area for solids instead of softs because expansion can be pretty inconsistent from shot to shot on softs.

So looking at the numbers, they are equal in energy 15 ft/lbs is negligible.
The .404 has 5% better sectional density, which is a small, but consistent gain.
Frontal area is the only thing that the .404 has a big leg up on the .375. A 20% gain is big

This leaves me confused though. I have always heard and believed that the .40 calibers, and the .404 in particular hit a buffalo a lot harder than a .375

Just looking at the data though, I don’t understand why. 5% better SD and 20% bigger Frontal area is definitely a step up, but shouldn’t be a night and day difference.

So why does the 404 hit so much harder? Is it something I haven’t considered?
In the time it took for you to write this wonderful summary, I would have ordered both guns & all the reloading equipment for both. Life is too short to make hard decisions.....you deserve both!

I would disagree with you on Jeffery cutting the front and side magazine metal.
I have original jeffery standard mauser action rifle. All magazine metal is intact magazine holds 3 rds.

There may have been ones that have had the metal cut. I believe there with several makers of Jeffery rifle, sold under the Jeffery name. I can only speak for mine.
What year was yours made? I think it was just the early ones that had the makeshift bottom metal. Perhaps Jeffery was initially hesitant to make any huge leaps with retooling actions for their new cartridge. I'm sure Jeffery was thinking/hoping Mauser would soon reneg on their deal with Rigby and start making magnum length actions available to other makers. During the interwar years magnum actions dried up and makers went back to making standard actions work (e.g. Harry Selby's 416 Rigby). This would be a long term situation (Versailles Treaty limitations + Great Depression) so Jeffery likely committed to tooling up for modified bottom metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictoriaKi

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25