375 H&H rebored to 404 Jeffery

Why not just get a replacement barrel ? I am quite fond of Douglas barrels , but Pac Noir and Safari Outdoor make excellent rifle barrels to customer specifications.
9A769281-B48A-4476-B15D-00A1C0B5C223.jpeg

My own .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) has been using the same Douglas Premium barrel since 1973 . It still shoots one inch groups at 100 yards .

It is really great to see all of the recent interest in .404J. It is really a great cartridge, now if someone will only forget and leave a couple boxes of ammunition behind!

Why not just get a replacement barrel ?

Until I found someone willing to rebore, this was where I was going. I really wanted to keep the Winchester barrel profile, and all the Winchester markings. Besides, the rebore is cheaper than a rebarrel.

I would ask why you would want to take a perfectly good 375 H&H, arguably the best caliber in existence and change it?

Because the 375 is “arguable” the best caliber in existence. I’ve never seen this argument with the 404 :cool:

Begger, Several years ago I purchased a Winchester Model 70 404 Jeffery (converted from a 375 H&H) by Randy from another AH member. It feeds properly and shoots under an inch. In my case it was a re-barrel (McGowen Precision Barrel) not a re-bore. IMHO Randy rates a (y).

Toby, I'd like to say SHAME ON YOU FOR SUGGESTING SUCH HERESY, but I actually have one coming. I believe it will be close, but no cigar when it comes to comparing it to a 404 Jeffery.

Toby, I'd like to say SHAME ON YOU FOR SUGGESTING SUCH HERESY, but I actually have one coming. I believe it will be close, but no cigar when it comes to comparing it to a 404 Jeffery.
400 Grain 416 bullet at 2300 fps. VS 400 Grain 423 bullet at 2300 fps. At those velocities both cartridges are running at relatively low chamber pressure. Both hold 3 in the magazine in a Win 70. Tit for tat. Tomato Tomahto.

Toby, maybe I'm using the wrong powder for 416 Rem. Mag. So far I've only done QuickLoad simulations using H4350. I can't quite get to 2300 FPS, like I said, close but no cigar. Although I will say that my "expected" velocity is close enough that no animal shot with either would be able to "tell" the difference.

Toby, maybe I'm using the wrong powder for 416 Rem. Mag. So far I've only done QuickLoad simulations using H4350. I can't quite get to 2300 FPS, like I said, close but no cigar. Although I will say that my "expected" velocity is close enough that no animal shot with either would be able to "tell" the difference.
77gr of Varget will get you there with ease. I am getting 2325 fps with that load in my Winchester 70 416 RM. That's two grains under max in the Swift manual.

It is really great to see all of the recent interest in .404J. It is really a great cartridge, now if someone will only forget and leave a couple boxes of ammunition behind.
It is nice to have an equal amount of same caliber empty cases to leave the country with as the number of loaded rounds you arrived with, no matter the caliber. ;)

Ive used High Plains and got the best of work, also as mentioned above Dennis can do anything you need, he probably has reboreing done outside his shop and he does the rest, but his finished job is always nice..I ageee that sometimes its better to just rebarrel your action to a needed profile. adn have your smit inlett the barrel channal and glass the whole barreled action on bit bores..add cross bolts and a second recoil lug. I shoot the 404 and 416 Rem at 2400 FPs with 400 gr. bullets and the 450 gr. Woodleighs at 2300 FPS and that was my DG load with RL-15..Might try RL-19 these days.

It is really great to see all of the recent interest in .404J. It is really a great cartridge, now if someone will only forget and leave a couple boxes of ammunition behind!

I can leave several behind on the right deal for a buffalo! :LOL:

I stand corrected . I was going through the website of Dorleac & Dorleac recently . I came across this :

In hindsight , reboring a .375 H&H Magnum barrel and re-cutting it to .423 bore might actually be completely feasible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 5.47.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 5.47.02 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 5.47.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 5.47.04 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
This particular model is just a little muzzle heavy, and I’m only trying to balance it a little bit by removing a small amount of metal from inside the barrel. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I agree. But I’m going to remove a little metal off the end of mine.

Instead of reboring, buy a new barrel such a Pac Nor. Then your smith only has to work the action, which should be much easier to find someone to do the work. Contact @AZDAVE. He will know a smith who does this work. He should also know whether the M70 .375 action can be easily worked into a .404 action. My RSM .404 started life as a .375 HH.
I've been using Pac-Nor barrels for about 20 years, for hunting and silhouette rifles. Never had an accuracy or quality issue with them. Chris has been a pleasure to work with.

I already have a Pre-64 Model 70 in 375 H&H. That’s what started this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg