375 H&H Pistol

I had a 9 inch bbl Ruger 454 it was enough for me with hot ammo, the man has a screw loose. Hope he has medical insurance.
I do not enjoy shoot big bore handguns as much as I did 30 years ago. Go figure!

Hunting buffalo with a revolver?
It's been done (.460, .500, etc.) but the above is a (rediculous) single-shot. Just shoulder the rifle and take a longer, more accurate shot! Most of those pistols weigh as much or more than a rifle.

I had a 9 inch bbl Ruger 454 it was enough for me with hot ammo, the man has a screw loose. Hope he has medical insurance.
I still have a 9" Ruger .454 Casull. It IS a little snappy!

Kentucky Ballistics blamed the explosion of his gun on the round being hot, but was also using a sabot round in a rifle with a muzzle brake. I find it likely the paper was caught in the brake, fouling the barrel.

Kentucky Ballistics blamed the explosion of his gun on the round being hot, but was also using a sabot round in a rifle with a muzzle brake. I find it likely the paper was caught in the brake, fouling the barrel.
I don't believe Kentucky Ballistics will ever be considered a Mensa candidate. He made the decision to use those cartridges in that rifle. Even after realizing that the rounds were "hot", he continued. The blame falls squarely at his feet and he almost paid the ultimate price for it. The things people do for "clicks".

I thought I would just continue this thread with more Kentucky Ballistics. Description starts at 4:00 and the shots are at 7:15, 9:00, 11:10 and 13:10. Watching what it does to his target is pretty cool. To his credit I didn't see him flinch on any of the shots.

I still have a 9" Ruger .454 Casull. It IS a little snappy!

A 7.5" Super Redhawk in .454 Casull it the only handgun I've ever owned that I just couldn't handle. Recoil was just brutal with full-power loads. I ended up selling it and buying a .44 instead. My .44's and Lone Eagle in .308 are pussycats in comparison. Even the 4" .500 S&W that I fired a few rounds out of had nothing on that .454. It just recoiled so fast. That said, I've never fired anything like some of the monstrosities mentioned in this thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.53.57 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.53.57 AM Large.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.54.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.54.01 AM Large.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.54.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.54.03 AM Large.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 39
That's not a big handgun. This is!

That's a pretty big caliber handgun but is it really bigger? Comparing a black powder cartridge to one using modern propellants the difference becomes clear very quickly.

577SNYDER with a 450 grain bullet at 1300 fps only yields 1690 lb-ft of energy. Not exactly a horsepower king, but I'm sure it did well for it's intended purpose of stopping a tiger at point blank range from the howda.

375H&H with a 300 grain bullet at 2540 fps gives 4299 lb-ft of energy...2.5x what the 577SNYDER makes.

So the bullet is certainly a larger diameter but does it give "bigger" results? You will need to be the judge of that. What is certain is that the 577SNYDER has much less recoil than a 375H&H. It was good to see an article by the late Cal Pappas.

Do any of you happen to be old enough to remember the Internet before the world wide web existed?

SMTP, List-Serv, Gopher, BBS, etc?

Each year people would message the "Darwin Awards" to each other on the primitive Internet, or the proprietary equivalent, CompuServe.

Where am I going with this? The guy in these videos is prime candidate for the Darwin Award for lifetime achievement. He's already burned through more lives than the average feline and his days are numbered.

Do any of you happen to be old enough to remember the Internet before the world wide web existed?

SMTP, List-Serv, Gopher, BBS, etc?

Each year people would message the "Darwin Awards" to each other on the primitive Internet, or the proprietary equivalent, CompuServe.

Where am I going with this? The guy in these videos is prime candidate for the Darwin Award for lifetime achievement. He's already burned through more lives than the average feline and his days are numbered.
Yes, I remember...before Al Gore invented it! :ROFLMAO: And yes, he is a prime candidate...and a blithering idiot.

See my earlier post #31 where I mention this specifically.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/375-h-h-pistol.66326/post-862065

Last edited:
A 7.5" Super Redhawk in .454 Casull it the only handgun I've ever owned that I just couldn't handle. Recoil was just brutal with full-power loads. I ended up selling it and buying a .44 instead. My .44's and Lone Eagle in .308 are pussycats in comparison. Even the 4" .500 S&W that I fired a few rounds out of had nothing on that .454. It just recoiled so fast. That said, I've never fired anything like some of the monstrosities mentioned in this thread.

Even worse is the Super Redhawk "snubby" in 454 Casull I shot that once empties the cylinders and gave it back to my friend.

"Stupid is as stupid does, sir!" Most who have 44 Mags sooner or later realize the joys of the 44 Special.

"Here, hold my beer"

"Stupid is as stupid does, sir!" Most who have 44 Mags sooner or later realize the joys of the 44 Special.

"Here, hold my beer"

The operator and the gunsmith both should be Darwin award winners. I'd suspect the BATF would deem a 600NE pistol a destructive device having no sporting use as well. That would make for an interesting story to be repeated over a ten year stay at Club Fed.

Somedays I wake up believing America is the greatest place with the smartest minds on planet earth. On other days, I read these threads and take the polar opposite position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landboc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.