Tn_Huntaholic

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF
To save cluttering up the other thread about pet loads, I figured it might be better served to the AH community if I posted another thread. My rifle, a whitworth express, shot the 250gr ttsx loads great with RL15 but lets face facts, they are pretty expensive for anything short of Africa or dangerous game so my quest began to find another load. Thanks to someone on here I think, I ordered 6 boxes of the speer 285gr grand slam bullets from graf and sons for around 17 bucks a box.
I shoot my rifles off a bench sitting. Large Caldwell bag up front, small rabbit ear bag in the rear. I much prefer a benchrest bipod up front but with the barrel band stud that's not possible with this gun. After 8 loadings of 5 shots each group and 2 rounds of deep cleaning with J&B bore compound, I finally found a load that groups to suit me. I tried all the favorite powders, seating bullets to 3.600 and nothing really impressed me. 68gr of Varget, Fed 215, new ppu brass, speer 285 GS bullet, seated to 3.570, produced a GREAT group. 1st shot was 7 oclock in the bottom of the dot, 2nd shot was 11 oclock in the top of the dot, now here is where I kinda messed up, 3rd shot pulled high by almost 1.5 inches. I figured it out before shooting the 4th and 5 rounds, I WAS PUTTING TOO MUCH PRESSURE pulling the rifle into my shoulder with my right hand, left hand never touches the rifle btw. The 4th and 5th shots I basically let the rifle free recoil and those shots made a perfect hole cutting clover leaf with the 1st shot.
Yeah, this gun kicks a little but its not going to hurt you! Let it do what it wants to do. Don't try to tame the beast. In full disclosure, I do have a PAST magnum strap on shoulder pad and I do put a half full sandbag between the stock and my shoulder when shooting seated off the bench with bigger guns. The problem with using both hands and pulling a rifle in tight is that you cant get the pressure exactly the same every time and that WILL affect accuracy.
I hope this long winded post helps some of yall that are having problems getting good groups out of your rifles!

Sounds like you found the right formula for your Whitworth. Any pictures of the target? I love it when a load comes through!

I like 77.5 grains of StaBall 6.5 with that bullet. Federal brass. CCI mag rifle primer.

20200604_173026.jpeg

I haven't figured out how to go back and edit the original message, I had my sequences messed up. The 2nd shot was the one I loaded up on the stock too much, 3rd shot was less pressure, 4th and 5th were free recoil like the 1st.

Nice! I would verify on another day using the same hold just to prove it wasn’t a fluke. I usually repeat it at least 3 different days just to prove my loads. JMO
Looking good!

Nice! I would verify on another day using the same hold just to prove it wasn’t a fluke. I usually repeat it at least 3 different days just to prove my loads. JMO
Looking good!
Oh don't worry, I always reconfirm zero before taking a rifle afield. I will probably move it 1 click up and 1 click right just for giggles but for now Im just happy to have what looks like a good load for it.

I have found that I shoot “objects” better than paper. I do all my load work up on paper then I get on the sticks and shoot pop cans filled with water and soup cans full of dirt and the like. That’s where the fun is-and when you have an affordable bullet and the ability to reload with “the right recipe” it makes a world of difference!

I think you’ve found your load.
At $17 a box for bullets, you can’t beat that for practice and there are worse choices for PG hunting bullets.

A fun challenging target off sticks are cheap eggs (Costco or Sam’s Club). Very reactionary! Perfect test for croc IMO.

A fun challenging target off sticks are cheap eggs (Costco or Sam’s Club). Very reactionary! Perfect test for croc IMO.
Gonna want some GoPro footage of this in action.
375 vs. egg...awesome.

What would you say is the typical distance for head shots on Croc?

Gonna want some GoPro footage of this in action.
375 vs. egg...awesome.

What would you say is the typical distance for head shots on Croc?
75-100 yards is what I have read. Mine was 90 yards. I made a target and practiced at 100 yards (distance my PH told me to practice).
F252DFB1-985D-4C07-9776-B25F181C8D0D.jpeg

75-100 yards is what I have read. Mine was 90 yards. I made a target and practiced at 100 yards (distance my PH told me to practice).
View attachment 352273
Wow...look at you...quite the artist.
Still a 375/egg video would be cool.

Drop the link to your hunt report on the Croc.
I've seen videos of guys crawling over sandbanks to make a shot.
Always good to get a little more info.
Have to keep this on the down low...
I haven't mentioned to my wife that I'm looking to take the DG7.

Eggs you say... With a .375 even... Why not something larger? Although the sights may get squirrelly at 100 yards obscuring such a small thing. Saran wrap the camera...your welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you