.375 H&H Do Critics Exist?

(Disclaimer: I have no real experience with the Big 5 or Brown Bears so take this for what it's worth.)

I know the statement has been over used but it truly is the African .30/06. In the vast majority of the USA it's adequate for anything that walks. Even in those locations where it's light (Grizzly Country) let's not forget that it did in the largest Brown Bear ever shot at a range of 4 yards (less than 4 meters) which some estimates place at 2,500 lb.

I place the .375 H&H on the same plane. Not ideal for a 14,000 lb Elephant but adequate.

In fact I can't think of any single situation in the US where the .30/06 is my first choice but can not think of any where I see it as a major handicap.

The same could be said of the .375 H&H in Africa.

Hi, HWL--I think the 9.3x64 will do what the .375 H&H will do. If you can launch a near-300-gr projectile at around 2,500 f/s, you are in the "perfect all-around rifle" zone.

There may even be a reason to prefer the 9.3 for its greater sectional density--although some will regard this as a tad academic. For instance, for a 300-gr bullet, the sectional density of the 9.3 is .320, while that for the .375 is .305.

Gregor Woods, one of (IMHO) the world's most experienced, numerate and underrated gun writers, places the 9.3x64 along the .375 as an ideal all-around rifle for Africa. To him, the only reason to prefer the .375 is its greater availability over the counter, as well as the issue of legality for dangerous game in certain districts. Bottom line: you chose well.

Often wondered why the .375x64 never caught on. Would have made a dandy substitute for the H&H in Standard Actions. No chance of that now that the .375 Ruger has been Introduced.

2l8

A little girl n Alberta Canada shot a giant griz to death with one 22 rimfre right in the head at very close range.

A 30-06 with an appointment round kills a elephant and I've heard that the has been done with a 22.

I have a bunch of 375 weapons and use them for anything from groundhogs to moose and in he hands of a marksmanship i believe that they can take out anything.

The 375 is probably the best all around rifle round on the planet, but being the spoiled sissy that I am when it comes to the thought of being eaten by the great cats and bears along with being stomped and gored to death I choose something that you only need to shoot and hit once with.

I think Elmer Keith had an opinion that it was a decent pronghorn, deer and midsize antelope cartridge but a little on the light side for elk and large antelope.

I think Elmer Keith had an opinion that it was a decent pronghorn, deer and midsize antelope cartridge but a little on the light side for elk and large antelope.
Usually when he was feuding with Jack O'Connor. ;) Early on, he did promote the .375 as an elk round, but that was still in the dawn of smokeless powder when darn little was available north of a 30-06 in this country (that hadn't been created as a BB round). Considering the quality of the soft points available at that time, a .375 likely was a better choice for taking a poke at an elk across a canyon. He subsequently was, of course instrumental in creating the .338 Win Mag. In Africa he loved to use his English doubles and used them extensively. He was willing to get in close or not take a shot. However, were he alive today, I doubt that he would advocate one as a first time African hunter's choice to take on safari - particularly the pure PG hunt which has now become somewhat the norm. I am sure he would still be part of the .40 + cal club for dangerous game. But I am equally sure his more articulate Nemesis O'Connor would be even more certain that the .375 was an ideal choice for a client's rifle.

Elmer Keith had a vast reservoir of real world experience with firearms. His knowledge and expertise with double rifles isn't nearly as much appreciated as his work with magnum handguns. I am pretty sure that I have read everything he and Jack put in book form (let me amend that to say I think I even own everything they both put in book form). Jack could write - Elmer likely had broader experience. And both are dated. Bullets, in particular, have changed dramatically. It would be fun to read what Elmer would think of them. I can guarantee the sentax would be unique. He always reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from Blazing saddles.

Usually when he was feuding with Jack O'Connor. ;) Early on, he did promote the .375 as an elk round, but that was still in the dawn of smokeless powder when darn little was available north of a 30-06 in this country (that hadn't been created as a BB round). Considering the quality of the soft points available at that time, a .375 likely was a better choice for taking a poke at an elk across a canyon. He subsequently was, of course instrumental in creating the .338 Win Mag. In Africa he loved to use his English doubles and used them extensively. He was willing to get in close or not take a shot. However, were he alive today, I doubt that he would advocate one as a first time African hunter's choice to take on safari - particularly the pure PG hunt which has now become somewhat the norm. I am sure he would still be part of the .40 + cal club for dangerous game. But I am equally sure his more articulate Nemesis O'Connor would be even more certain that the .375 was an ideal choice for a client's rifle.

Elmer Keith had a vast reservoir of real world experience with firearms. His knowledge and expertise with double rifles isn't nearly as much appreciated as his work with magnum handguns. I am pretty sure that I have read everything he and Jack put in book form (let me amend that to say I think I even own everything they both put in book form). Jack could write - Elmer likely had broader experience. And both are dated. Bullets, in particular, have changed dramatically. It would be fun to read what Elmer would think of them. I can guarantee the sentax would be unique. He always reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from Blazing saddles.

Rer ruh!

Well I posted that a little tongue in cheek. Since he thought the .270 was a fine Coyote Rifle (I also realize this was Hyperbole and many things said in the "Feud" was intended to drive magazine sales) and to light for deer. I think the statement I read was better Elk cartidges started with a 4 and was not specifically directed at the .375 H&H. I suspect it was directed more at catridges like the .35 Remington and .45/70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross