.375 H&H Do Critics Exist?

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Rifleman, May 7, 2015.

1. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    I don't want this to seem flippant, but why not buy a spare spring and change it each year or two rather than not load the magazine full? Springs are cheap and easy to replace in my experience.

Velo Dog likes this.

2. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    @Longwalker , like the way you think, but out in the sticks not always that easy. You very seldom need more than 3 shots.

3. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    Living where I do, in a small town of 500 people in a rural area, I can relate to your lack of easy to get rifle parts. And I agree, 3 shots is usually more than enough.

siml likes this.

4. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    To me it comes down to shot placement. Yes, power is good, but precision placement is final. The 375 H&H with solids is plenty, especially for a client.

5. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Enysse your dead on! Shot placement with all the mentioned rifles is the key!

6. Ado

Ado AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, RW, SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia, South Africa, NZ
    I love my 375 H&H... No not much criticism about this cartridge in 100+ years...

Ado

tarbe, Velo Dog and siml like this.

7. petrusg

petrusg AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
    Is the perfect all round caliber - if you could only purchase one rifle, a 375H&H would have to be the one.

8. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    Adriaan, spot on..

9. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I also like that Simon says he uses a heavy 375 H&H, probably borrowing it to clients. A heavy 375 H&H is very manageable to shoot. Mine is heavy too, I don't carry mine miles and miles...I have other guns for that purpose. I would use my .416 Rem in Win Model 70.

siml likes this.

10. William W.

William W. AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Memphis Sport Shooting Association
    When you want to buy your CZ, check out Grab-A-Gun for a great price. You will pay a transfer fee, but no sales tax. Rub your bolt havily with J-B bore cleaner, cyle it numerous times, clean it off with spray carb cleaner, spray Kroil, put it back in tje rifle to pick up the worst of the residue, clean the gun well, then use a grinding wheel with a polushing pad and the finest rouge to polish out the wear marks, piut it back in the gun, cylcle, clean the crap off the bolt and repolish. Do the re-polishing abot 3 times watching out not to catch the Mauser part on the pad. You will have an action as smooth as a Remington with no gunsmithing costs. See my post on cutting the sight hood so that you can retain your fine iron sights that come with the rifle.

siml likes this.

11. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Rifleman..........once you own the gun, it is a little late for a critique, but here are a few negative points for the old warhorse:
    1. The cartridge is long...2.85 inches long. It requires a long action. Yet it produces the same or less energy than several competing standard length action cartridges (2.5 inches)
    2. The long tapered case was designed with a belt for a reason. Headspace. The most accurate cartridges in generally headspace neatly and tightly on a sharp shoulder. The little sloped shoulder of the 375 makes this difficult
    3. The long tapered case grows. When reloading hot loads, frequent case trimming is needed. I dont like doing this.
    4. Recoil is about twice that of an '06. About 40 ft lbs. Many people can't shoot it well. Maybe it is more than they need for plains game. Maybe it's less than they want when charged at close range by, say, a management Black Rhino.
    5. for the first 30 years that I owned a 375, there were not too many bullets available for it. That has improved a lot lately.
    6. With the above in mind, I would be happy to take the CZ 550 off of your hands for a few bucks so your purchase isn't a total loss.

FWIW, Sako makes several versions of their Model 85 in this caliber for a reasonable cost. They are worth a look.............I especially like "The Grizzly".............FWB

elmerfudd555 likes this.

12. larry4831

larry4831 AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA
    two classics, the 375 H&H and the 45 colt

13. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

The 375 H&H is possibly the most user friendly heavy medium bore rounds in the world.

It has been an extremely popular round for many a large tough animal with part of the reason being that just about everyone makes a rifle chambered in it. It may possibly be the most universal cartridge for PG and for dangerous cats in Africa and great bears and large game on the planet, but in my estimation falls short in power for elephants, rhino, capes and 700 pound plus bears at closer ranges. For those I consider the 458 WM as the very minimum and rounds with even more power as being preferable...for me anyway.

14. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I agree with you larry 4831.

larry4831 likes this.

15. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    I just bought a Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 9,3x64..... what did I do wrong?

;)

HWL

geoff rath and Red Leg like this.

16. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Oh my,

You've done nothing wrong. I have a few rifles in that round and it is a dandy.

HWL and geoff rath like this.

17. geoff rath

geoff rath AH Enthusiast

So eloquently put, @PHOENIX PHIL. Versatile, capable. Bullet weights from 230 to 350 grains. More than adequate for just 'bout anything.

18. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I agree with you. I have used a .375 extensively in Africa and have been satisfied with its performance in every case, with one exception, and that was elephant.

I am aware that it is possible to successfully shoot elephant with a .275, as Bell did, but the question is not what is possible under the best of circumstances, but what's generally adequate. And I think that most of us would find a noticeable improvement in performance by stepping up to something like a .404/.416.

19. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Hank,

Yes! Agreement.

I have found over the years that most people go armed for what they will probably get, instead of what they might get.

Case in point was a bear that was running straight at me and two friends being chased by two guys .one with a 7mm08 and the other with a 30-30. I stopped all that running around nonsense with one shot from my 458WM with one of my 350 grain bullets cooked up past 2500.

He died on the run and face planted. He did have two bullets in his butt. When stretched out his dead was on the tailgate of my friends truck.

Do I like the 375? I most certainly do, but like you I understand limitations.

Best of luck.

20. geoff rath

geoff rath AH Enthusiast

... and I have just had a custom 9.3X64 "built". Anything wrong with that? Absolutely nothing; but then I have a 416 Rigby coming....