.375 Full sizing vs. Neck sizing...

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
What would the pro's and con's as far as neck sizing only,opposed to full lenth re-sizing for a .375 H&H be? Would dearly like to hear some opinions. The hand-loads for this rifle are only used for plains game, although I do carry factory solids for something nasty that feels I should be up a tree.:)

For hunting loads regardless the quarry all loads should be made up with new brass or once-fired, full-length resized for reliability. If dangerous game is encountered you wont have time to switch ammo. All hunting ammo should be cycled thru the gun before going huntin' to make sure they all fit and that there are no hang ups. The belted mags have a reputation for short case life which I think is unwarranted. My .375 and my .338 mag brass has been reloaded many times with never a problem. I usually discard them when they get beat up looking after a dozen or so reloads.

I hear you,and thanks. I always carry two softs and four solids in my magazine when I'm in an area where nasty's may be encountered. I have,over the years,heard of and met some who neck size only for their .375's and have never had any problems. I was curious as to why some hand-loaders are happy with neck sizing only and, why some frown upon it.

Most people only neck size the brass, so the brass lasts longer. Plus the brass will fit for that rifle exactly...if the brass was fired from that gun. So bullet groups are tighter.

It all depends on the load...that you handload. Loads on the higher end, might be hard to just neck-size...because the brass is too tight just to neck size.

No matter what you do...just check to make sure your reloads cycle through your gun alright...no one wants a stuck bullet case in the chamber.

I'm not sure how one qualifies "most people" but I agree that for the smallest groups for "paperwork" neck sizing is best. I use the Lee Collet die in several calibers for specific guns and I do believe Lee's claim of better groups, but even then its hard to prove. For hunting ammo especially for dangerous game, you want to remove any possibility of a fat case being slow to chamber, and I would still recommend full-length resizing for purpose and as I stated earlier and as mentioned above its critical to run all hunt rounds thru the gun. You wont be able to tell in the field which ammo is more accurate but reliability is paramount. I use new brass for my hunting handloads and each is checked for all dimensions and then cycled.

For hunting ammo especially for dangerous game, you want to remove any possibility of a fat case being slow to chamber, and I would still recommend full-length resizing for purpose and as I stated earlier and as mentioned above its critical to run all hunt rounds thru the gun. You wont be able to tell in the field which ammo is more accurate but reliability is paramount.

I would have to strongly agree with this. I bought a neck sizer die for my 7mm mag rounds. Perhaps because the rounds were loaded to near max and it was also approaching 100 degrees the day I shot them, but while the rounds fed fine, they were very tight to eject after they were shot. Just not something I'd want to happen in a DG round.

Even if these rounds are being used for longer range PG hunting, a quick follow up shot may be needed.

I agree for dangerous game hunting, full sizing the brass is the safest option out there and probably the only practical thing to do...so your wife doesn't have to cash in your life insurance (lol).

My friends neck-size mostly for prairie dog shooting.

Even with full-length resizing, belted magnums can end up with tight-fitting cases just above the belt after multiple reloadings. This includes the .375 H&H.

Innovative Technologies makes a belted magnum collet resizing die that will correct this issue. I use on on 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag and it works well. They are not cheap, but you will get more life out of the brass.

Neck sizing is great for accuracy, but at some point you still have to bump back the headspace with a FL sizing die.

As noted before, test chamber every round before going to the field.

I think we can all agree that FL sizing is best for hunting rounds and neck sizing best for accuracy. I too have run into situations where after repeated neck sizing, a FL sizing was needed. But not on all magnums. As I stated before after many loadings with my .375 I have never had an issue related to loading technique. Every gun is law unto itself and chamber dimensions are a critical factor and they vary greatly from gun to gun regardless the chambering.

I neck size everything that i shoot. Occassionaly I have to full length for 2 of my guns. Before I go hunting I always check the rounds I'm taking.

I wrote an article on the subject of FL vs. NK resizing. I also manufacture the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die

Hey Larry, I have visited your site and believe me,if I could get your collet die here in Namibia,I would have had a 'used' one by now.
Pleeeeeze bring me one when you come to visit.Our damn post either gets lost or stolen..!

Doc.

Having just found this thread I have to agree with the folks that FL resize I've been reloading for the last 15 to 20 years I reload for 9 Calibers of the guns I own some are the same caliber if you get the ones mixed up that you only neck size they either get stuck or don't cycle at all and when your at the range or hunting and you grab the wrong box well you end up being pissed and hollering BANG!!! just doesn't get the job done. I've been using the Lee Deluxe dies lately they come with both collet and full length resizing dies in the set they work great good groups and cycle like factory ammo and at a good price.

After having a couple of neck resized cartridges "stick" deer hunting. You will not catch me relying on anything that is not full length resized and as Ses suggests run through the intended rifle just to make sure.
Still alive and standing, paranoia intact! :)

I FL for hunt, Neck for bench & Target, on my bean gun & couple of others the bullets are too long to put in the magzine anyway, I am always suprized how many people do not check the OAL & Concentric Run out, that stoney point tool is just too easy and Hornday bought them so now they do any caliber if you send the case. add a bushing die and you save the cost of the die in brass in no time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg