358 Winchester

Bignut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,
We are going to the Limpopo region in May 2020. I was thinking of bringing my 358 for plains game. According to the PH, shots will be around 150 yards max. Nope it isn't traditional, but seems to whack things pretty hard. Anyone have any experience with this as a plains game round?

I think the 358 gets lumped incorrectly into the short range category when it is more of a medium range cartridge. That being said I think it's a better deer, hog, and bear gun than it is an elk rifle but many would disagree.

I think at 150 yards you will be more than fine. If you are going to take that rifle to South Africa, Limpopo is the place for it. Just realize there is a small chance a long shot might be needed and you may have to pass.

I think if that's what you want to take, do it. I'd take a look at Buffalo Bore ammo for that hunt just to be on the safe side. They make a hard hitting 225gr Sierra bullet pushed quiet fast.

We are going to the Limpopo region in May 2020. I was thinking of bringing my 358 for plains game. According to the PH, shots will be around 150 yards max. Nope it isn't traditional, but seems to whack things pretty hard. Anyone have any experience with this as a plains game round?

forget traditional.
think fulfils the job description.
one is for wankers.
one is for doers.
bruce.

Never had the pleasure to use on plains game but, have used mine successfully on deer and elk here in the states with one shot per customer. It is a fine cartridge that I've used off and on since the late '70's in various rifles. My current and favorite is a M70 that was rebarreled. One fellow testified that he used his on several types of plains game, using Barnes 200 grain ttx IIRC, with complete satisfaction. Have a good hunt!

+1 to all the above as long as you do your part and please give us a report.
And what animals are you planning on?

I have a couple of questions...

What are your rifle options other than the 358WM, or is that your only choice?
30-06, 300WM or other .30 caliber will sort you out for all the antelope, although I would suggest something bigger for Eland.

What are you "planning" on hunting?
Is Buffalo possibly on the menu?
Understand that things don't always go to plan and if you want to hunt Buffalo, you will be SOL.

If you are possibly looking at Buffalo, go with a 375 caliber of your choice.
It's the most versatile caliber for hunting Africa.
I'm partial to the 375H&H for ammo availability but I doubt any of the animals will notice if you used a 375Ruger or Weatherby.

I have a couple of questions...

What are your rifle options other than the 358WM, or is that your only choice?
30-06, 300WM or other .30 caliber will sort you out for all the antelope, although I would suggest something bigger for Eland.

What are you "planning" on hunting?
Is Buffalo possibly on the menu?
Understand that things don't always go to plan and if you want to hunt Buffalo, you will be SOL.

If you are possibly looking at Buffalo, go with a 375 caliber of your choice.
It's the most versatile caliber for hunting Africa.
I'm partial to the 375H&H for ammo availability but I doubt any of the animals will notice if you used a 375Ruger or Weatherby.

I have most calibers you could want. .22 hornet 30-06, 300 mag, 338, 375 being the biggest. Many more also, but the .358 is just the balls to shoot! Unsure as of yet on the critters but I'd love a nyala. From what I understand you have to hunt to find them. Since I can't buy a 404 and pay trophy fees also, I'm hoping to bring the 375 H&H to hunt cape buffalo. Though that one may have to wait...

I have most calibers you could want. .22 hornet 30-06, 300 mag, 338, 375 being the biggest. Many more also, but the .358 is just the balls to shoot! Unsure as of yet on the critters but I'd love a nyala. From what I understand you have to hunt to find them. Since I can't buy a 404 and pay trophy fees also, I'm hoping to bring the 375 H&H to hunt cape buffalo. Though that one may have to wait...
My opinion...take the 375H&H, it's all you will need from Blesbok to Buffalo.
If you do your job, a well placed Swift A-Frame will bring home the trophies.
Good luck with your hunt.

just be careful what bullets you use.
some are neant for 35 rem etc, and while good on smaller deer for lung shots, tend to be fragile at 358 speeds in say 200 gn.
I have shot good sized pigs with such bullets in a miroku 358, (blr) and texas heart shots and some fighting pads shots were disappointing.
back in those days we did not have the bullets we have now.
I have read of guys in places like Alaska liking to keep a 358 handy in bear country.
bruce.

Dear Mr. Bignut....

There is about 47,000 members at this site. Many have opinions based on actual use, some have never seen one, and for others I am sure this is the first time they ever heard of it. I actually have one though I can't remember when I shot it last, and for the life of me I can't remember if I ever killed anything with it. I don't even know anyone who owns one and I don't own a reamer for it.

What I can say is that when you go hunting it will be your time and your dime. If you think that you are "one with the gun" and believe that it has the "right stuff" then take it hunting and do killing like Ghengis Kahn.

Good Hunting

If you like it take it, it is a wonderful caliber I own 4 of them, one custom bolt and 3 lever actions. The bolt is my go to rifle for deer, bear and elk here in Northern Alberta. The only plains game I would hesitate to shoot with one would be Eland, though I have used a 30-06 on one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg