35 Whelen

thoma018

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 13, 2025
Messages
285
Reaction score
367
Location
nc
Articles
3
Member of
Life Member SCI, NRA, Life Member NCRPA
Just got my 35 Whelan from my smith. Built on FN commercial large ring action with a #4 contour Shilen barrel, placed in a B&C stock.
Probably drop a Leopold 3.5-10 on her and let her ring !!
Watch out Bob, I'm coming for ya !!....lol.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8425.jpeg
    IMG_8425.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
Very nice! I’m waiting on my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .35 Whelen to come back from a rebarrel.

The factory barrel just wasn’t giving me the groups I wanted with Buffalo Bore 225gr TSX, and I didn’t want to go chasing a different bullet since I don’t reload. I’m a firm believer in Barnes bullet performance and wanted this rifle built around that load. I also wanted it threaded for a suppressor anyway, so I went with a 22” McGowen medium-sporter barrel with a 1:12 twist, which gives me plenty of stability margin and flexibility with the longer/heavier .358 Barnes bullets.

I’m keeping the factory walnut stock, but having it pillar-bedded and glass-bedded while it’s apart. Hoping I end up with a very accurate, suppressor-ready .35 Whelen that still keeps the classic Ruger look.

What pills are you planning to run through yours?
 
Just got my 35 Whelan from my smith. Built on FN commercial large ring action with a #4 contour Shilen barrel, placed in a B&C stock.
Probably drop a Leopold 3.5-10 on her and let her ring !!
Watch out Bob, I'm coming for ya !!....lol.
@thoma018
Nice
Now get some CFE223, some 250 grainers Stoke her up to FULL THROTTLE ( none of these wimpy factory loads) and go have fun.
Problem is you may lose your tracking skills as game don't go far when hit with that combo, usually straight down if'n you do your part.
Bob
 
@M48scout, yes 24"
@Whelen....not fired her yet, will start with some factory to break her in a bit.
@thoma018
I have NEVER run a barrel in in my life.
If it's a good quality barrel to start with it should shoot well from the start. A good barrel will be hand lapped and ready to roll. Running it in is only wasting ammo, barrel steel, money and time in my book.
Sight it in, clean, put a shot thru a cold clean barrel and it should be on the money.
If you get a barrel that won't shoot decent groups from the start, no matter what you do it usually won't improve.
Using CFE223 you should almost eliminate copper fouling so you will only need to clean carbon and powder residue mainly.
Enjoy your new toy mate, I know I enjoy mine.
Bob
 
@thoma018, We have three 35 Whelens in our family. They all shoot extremely well. What factory ammo are you planning on using? Let us know how she shoots!!
@Shootist43
Art
When are you going to load some of those 250 grainers to 2,700fps and have some fun
Have you tried those 225 gn Woodleigh hydros in your Whelen yet.
Bob
 
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen, My oldest son (Art Lambart II) is taking his entire family to Africa in 2027. He has Buff on the menu. His son (Trip) will be hunting PG but in an area that has DG as well. School is still out on what calibers the family will be using. If the 35 Whelen is one of them, you can bet I'll be loading up some special ammo including some of those "hydros."
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,293
Messages
1,571,876
Members
169,457
Latest member
ElissaAsmu
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top