35 Whelen with 250 gr Norma Oryx

jbirdwell

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
US
Don’t know if anyone can point me in the right direction but I’m looking for load data for the 35 Whelen using the 250 Norma Oryx bullets. I have new Norma cases and both large rifle magnum and large rifle primers but have not bought any powder until I can find some load data. The only loads Norma lists are for Norma Powder which I did not see as available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I haven’t loaded oryx… but 250gr partitions shoot extremely well over a solid charge of IMR 4064 in my Whelen…

A great place to start would be 50 gr of Varget and work your way up. Use Noslers load data for the 250 partition. I’m sure one of our fine forum members from the southern hemisphere will come charging in with a plethora of good information soon enough.

Last edited:
Do we need the Bonanza tune when @Bob Nelson 35Whelen comes to the rescue?
@ZG47
No mate, the Lone Ranger tune will do.
Hi Ho Silver away we have another Whelen owner to rescue and 243 heathen outlaws to dash. Come Tonto away.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

Don’t know if anyone can point me in the right direction but I’m looking for load data for the 35 Whelen using the 250 Norma Oryx bullets. I have new Norma cases and both large rifle magnum and large rifle primers but have not bought any powder until I can find some load data. The only loads Norma lists are for Norma Powder which I did not see as available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
@jbirdwell
One of the best powders for the 35 Whelen is Hogdon CFE223.
Using Speers on line data for the Whelen a max charge of 64gn will give you around 2,700fps and over 4,000fpe of muzzle energy.
Start with a load of 60gn and work up and you should be fine. Standard large rifle primers will be just fine.
If you like Google Speer reloading data and it will give you the data you want for the 250gn speer. You can use the same data for the nosler partition.
As usual these loads were safe in my rifle. Start lower and work up.
If you need anymore info on loading the Whelen there's heaps on this forum, just search 35 Whelen or you cam PM me.
Bob

From the woodleigh manual.

Cheers

20230818_071252.jpg
20230818_071246.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@503
Woodleigh loads are good but very anaemic. Speers, Sierra and nosler loads are much better. I get far better results with CFE223
Bob
Bob, and OP,

Curious about the Norma Oryx 250 grain loads. I’ve read it a good bullet.

Big 35 Whelen fan. I have 3, , two customs on Mauser 98 actions, and a Ruger #1.

Bob, I know you like CFE 223 powder, and results are very good.

My question is about load’s with VARGET.

I have several pounds of this, bought at the start of the pandemic,and not looking to add another powder to the library.

Do you have recommendations with VARGET, and 250 grain RN (Hornady)?

I have a lot of these bullets.
Lee Loading manual lists loads,just looking for best consistency and accuracy, not top velocity.
Always enjoy reading your posts.

Nosler shows the top accuracy for all their tested powders under 250gr bullets as 55.0gr (max) of Varget. My Hornady manual does not list Varget in their data, and I’ve never shot the 250 rn, but they recommend a seating depth of 3.290 to the middle of the cannelure. Hodgdon has load data for the Hornady 250 rn but also does not have loads for Varget.

When I owned a 35 Whelen, my best powder for 250's was 4064. I bought the rifle just after reading Elmer Keith's book about bear hunting, and his load of 57.0 grains of 4064 pushing a 275 grain bullet. This load is NOT to be used by any of us mortals, but did show me what the upper limit was. I ended up using 54 or 55 grains with a 250 depending upon the case. You will have fun working up loads with either Varget or 4064. I have not tried CFE223..........FWB

I would have bought partitions if I could have found them but the 250 Oryx is what I could find. I didn’t know if I could use another 250 gr bullet’s load data.

thanks guys for all the info.

Bob, and OP,

Curious about the Norma Oryx 250 grain loads. I’ve read it a good bullet.

Big 35 Whelen fan. I have 3, , two customs on Mauser 98 actions, and a Ruger #1.

Bob, I know you like CFE 223 powder, and results are very good.

My question is about load’s with VARGET.

I have several pounds of this, bought at the start of the pandemic,and not looking to add another powder to the library.

I have a lot of these bullets.
Lee Loading manual lists loads,just looking for best consistency and accuracy, not top velocity.
Always enjoy reading your posts.
@cajunchefray
John Barsness recommends 55gn of Varget for a bit over 2,400fps.
I have found that the old 250gn Hornady round nose has a smaller bearing surface than the speer, nosler and even the 250gr Hornady spire point, so I had to to go up 2 grains to achieve the same velocity.
As usual approach all loads with caution and work up.
I found the 250gr round nose to be extremely accurate in my rifle. When testing I fired the 1st shot with my son spotting. He didn't see the next shot hit and the 3rd shot only made the original hole a bit bigger. Less than a half inch group.
These bullet hit very hard and penetration is excellent in my book.
Bob

Nosler shows the top accuracy for all their tested powders under 250gr bullets as 55.0gr (max) of Varget. My Hornady manual does not list Varget in their data, and I’ve never shot the 250 rn, but they recommend a seating depth of 3.290 to the middle of the cannelure. Hodgdon has load data for the Hornady 250 rn but also does not have loads for Varget.
@NTX
With the 225gn accubond I use the max load of 60.5gn of Varget as per nosler and get over 2,800fps and less than inch accuracy. Using CFE223 the velocity increase to 2,900 with the same accuracy.
For max thump out of the Whelen a 310gn Woodleigh at 2,400fps will give more than you need.
Bob

Good luck with the load workup. Hope it turns out well.

If anyone needs new 35 Whelen brass, we've got you covered... hopefully we can stock Woodleigh bullets in the future as well as the Oryx.

I would have bought partitions if I could have found them but the 250 Oryx is what I could find. I didn’t know if I could use another 250 gr bullet’s load data.

thanks guys for all the info.
@jbirdwell
Normally you CAN'T as each bullet is different in jacket thickness, core hardness, bonded or non bonded. These can ALL vary pressures.

I have loaded most brands Speer, Sierra, nosler and Hornaday in my Whelen except Barnes, swift AFrame and Partitions. These are out of my price range.

I have loaded all the Woodleigh except the 225gn hydro and 310gn solid.
I have loaded the 220gn Atomic 29 very similar to the Barnes to 2,900fps.
The 250gn Hornady round nose at 2,700fps will punch thru an oryx bull on a side on shot and leave a blood trail Stevie wonder could follow.

I've had the 225gn accubond penetrate 5 foot of kudu from the front to the rear ham.

The 225gn Woodleigh smashed both shoulders of one of the biggest zebra stallions my PH has seen. The bullet was lodged under the offside skin on a 120yd shot. He travelled 20 yards and nose dived into the red Namibian desert. This bullet was launched at 300fps faster than the recommended velocity and still hit at over the recommended impact velocity. Bullet retained 74% of it weight.
Bob

When I owned a 35 Whelen, my best powder for 250's was 4064. I bought the rifle just after reading Elmer Keith's book about bear hunting, and his load of 57.0 grains of 4064 pushing a 275 grain bullet. This load is NOT to be used by any of us mortals, but did show me what the upper limit was. I ended up using 54 or 55 grains with a 250 depending upon the case. You will have fun working up loads with either Varget or 4064. I have not tried CFE223..........FWB
I suspect that Elmer may have eroded the rifling a wee bit, before using his heaviest propellant charges. If anyone wonders about some of Nick Harvey’s top loads, the same is probably true. It certainly is, with his .223 Remington loads. That test rifle started out as a .222. The barrel was set and rechambered to .223 Remington after many thousands of rounds had significantly eroded the leade.

@cajunchefray
John Barsness recommends 55gn of Varget for a bit over 2,400fps.
I have found that the old 250gn Hornady round nose has a smaller bearing surface than the speer, nosler and even the 250gr Hornady spire point, so I had to to go up 2 grains to achieve the same velocity.
As usual approach all loads with caution and work up.
I found the 250gr round nose to be extremely accurate in my rifle. When testing I fired the 1st shot with my son spotting. He didn't see the next shot hit and the 3rd shot only made the original hole a bit bigger. Less than a half inch group.
These bullet hit very hard and penetration is excellent in my book.
Bob
Thanks Bob,
I too find the 250 Hornady very accurate as well. Appreciate the reminder of John Barsness load of 55 gr. Varget. That is the top load in the Lee reloading manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvyPrim830

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.