338 WM -> 375HH -> 458 WM - Where does one go from here?

If you're me, and it's 1970, you'd have to resort to wildcatting, as I did, with my .505 SRE (570 grain bullet at 2150 fps.). Nowadays, you have quite a number of choices. Perhaps the easiest would be the .500 Jeffrey, which does not require a Magnum length action and is probably the easiest to find reloading components for.

500 Jeffery!

full

a2jCqRV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell the 458, put the money towards a DR and go hunting. I just offloaded 2 different 458’s because of a double and a hunt.

Reactions: IvW
Turf the 458 and get a 404 Jeff and then a 500 Jeff
458 Win Mag is a way better dangerous game cartridge than 404 jeffery. When it comes to dangerous game, bullet diameter and bullet weight are utmost important.

458 Win Mag is a way better dangerous game cartridge than 404 jeffery. When it comes to dangerous game, bullet diameter and bullet weight are utmost important.
Many dream....

I actually was at that intersection some years back- after the 458 I bounced around a few 375s RUM & Wby and a couple 404s, then finally settled on a 470NE Rigby. I haven't had the urge to get anything heavier.

Those are my 3 big boy cartridges, if you owned the same trio, what would be the next thumper you would be considering?

One of the low .40s? a .475? 500+?

Time for a double rifle?

Help guide me on my next acquisition,
If it were me, I'd consider a .416 Rigby, if I could get one in a dead reliable CRF action. But what I really want is a double rifle. I can't justify the expense, but still I have the lust! Oh, the cruel pinch of want!

Maybe have the 458 reamed out to Lott, if the action will allow it, but just go hunt!

I’d really like a nice .425 Nitro Express Mauser by Westley Richards with the classic extended drop box magazine.

If it were me, I'd consider a .416 Rigby, if I could get one in a dead reliable CRF action. But what I really want is a double rifle. I can't justify the expense, but still I have the lust! Oh, the cruel pinch of want!
I've decided to go with the 416 Rigby, preferably in a Dakota 76!

Elephant charge photo a few posts back-
Ears out and kicking dust.
Mock charge?

Last edited:
Another vote for the 9.3x62, the best. A double if your going to DG in Africa is fun, otherwise they are not particularly useful.

Elephant charge photo a few posts back-
Ears out and kicking dust.
Mock charge?
Nope.....show me one picture or photo where an elephant has his/her ears back against its body during a full on charge....
Burocratic bullshit that will get you killed.....

Kicking dust means it stopped and the front foot is kicking dust....not the case here....

Somewhere somebody wrote that when a elephant has its ears flat to the body it is a serious charge....bullshit.....that gets spread because xyz wrote it.....

When does a charge become a mock charge?? When it stops....simple.....

If it does not stop at 10 meters better make sure the shot goes where it is supposed to....anything before and you may have problems from authorities...

Old bulls rarely push through on charge when they do better be ready.....
Younger bulls love to mock charge and fool around.... easy to stand up to them....

Cows may mock charge, if they have young calves at foot they dont fu.. around....

If distance allows shouting or shooting a shot over them can stop their intensions....
If closer and there is enought distance and time a shot through an oustretshed ear in line with the earhole will 99% if the time stop and turn them....but make sure you have distance and time to reload.....

If not be prepared for a single shot at 10 yards......

I had one cz550 in 458wm, then i bought one doble 470NE

It is one small step for man; a big leap for hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you