.338 Bullets

supergrizzly

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 16, 2021
Messages
110
Reaction score
202
Location
PA
Member of
NRA, RMEF, United Bowhunters of PA
I just came into a large quantity of .338 bullets. The big question is: Do I add a .338 to the cabinet or sell the bullets or both? I really do not need another rifle and with the scarcity of bullets, I feel I should help out those in need but on the other hand, I dread the hassle of waiting on checks to clear before I can ship. Thoughts? Is Venmo an option?
For reference:
3 boxes of 100 each - Hornady Spire Point - open but appear all there - 200 grain
1 box of 50 - Speer Soft Point Boattail - unopened - 225 grain
3 boxes of 50 - Nosler Partition - unopened, 1 open box of 26 - 250 grain
1 - Barnes X Bullets - 1 open box of 43 bullets - 250 grain
1 - Trophy Bonded Bear Claws - 1 open box of 22 - 225 grain

Still deciding my best path but welcome opinions!!
 
You don't need to buy a new rifle. Just send me all the bullets and problem solved!:D
 
I just came into a large quantity of .338 bullets. The big question is: Do I add a .338 to the cabinet or sell the bullets or both? I really do not need another rifle and with the scarcity of bullets, I feel I should help out those in need but on the other hand, I dread the hassle of waiting on checks to clear before I can ship. Thoughts? Is Venmo an option?
For reference:
3 boxes of 100 each - Hornady Spire Point - open but appear all there - 200 grain
1 box of 50 - Speer Soft Point Boattail - unopened - 225 grain
3 boxes of 50 - Nosler Partition - unopened, 1 open box of 26 - 250 grain
1 - Barnes X Bullets - 1 open box of 43 bullets - 250 grain
1 - Trophy Bonded Bear Claws - 1 open box of 22 - 225 grain

Still deciding my best path but welcome opinions!!
@supergrizzly
If it was me I would sell them at a reasonable price. It would make a lot of people happy.
To me the 338s are over rated especially the magnums. On the other hand the 338-06 and the 338 Federal are very much underrated.
Bob
 
Bob, already a big fan of the Whelen and all .35s in general. I figure my .35 Whelen covers me well on anything I might need a .338 for. I may go the sell route at some point. I appreciate all of the comments.
 
Bob, already a big fan of the Whelen and all .35s in general. I figure my .35 Whelen covers me well on anything I might need a .338 for. I may go the sell route at some point. I appreciate all of the comments.
@suppergrizzly
Good to hear another man of class that has 35s. I hope you are loading it to its full potential. Doing so leave nothing to be desired in the 338s.
Bob
 
Bob,
I built mine on a 1917 Enfield action with a Douglas Air Gage barrel for just that reason. I load the Sierra 225 BTs when I can get them.
Being a Pennsylvania deer hunter who grew up hunting the big woods country, I also have a soft spot for the .35 Remington (Remington 141) and as a kid fell in love with the look of the Remington 600 Magnum and have one in 350 Remington Magnum.
 
Bob, I've never owned a 35 Whelen. I'm sure it's a wonderful caliber. I have an old Model 71 Deluxe Winchester in .348 that I cherish. I do own 2 .338 Mags. A Ruger No. 1S, and a Ruger 77 stainless. With .210 grain Nosler partitions, it will handle about anything in North America, as well as 20 head of plains game in Africa I have taken. I own a .375 H&H, and it handles anything heavier. I agree that a .243 makes no sense to me, but know guys that love it on Pronghorn. I can't say there is anything wrong with any caliber, if that is what you want to own and enjoy.
 
Bob,
I built mine on a 1917 Enfield action with a Douglas Air Gage barrel for just that reason. I load the Sierra 225 BTs when I can get them.
Being a Pennsylvania deer hunter who grew up hunting the big woods country, I also have a soft spot for the .35 Remington (Remington 141) and as a kid fell in love with the look of the Remington 600 Magnum and have one in 350 Remington Magnum.
@supergrizzly
You are a man after my own heart. My first whelen I went the Ackley path using exactly the same action and barrel as you with a Boyd's pepper laminated stock and a timney trigger. It very accurate but I decided the extra 100 to 150 fps wast worth the mucking around so built a standard Whelen on a Savage action. Both great cartridges.
20210120_101002.jpg
 
Looks like somebody needs a new .338 Winchester Magnum. Probably a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade or Alaskan.
 
It is all personal preference.
My heavy rifle is a 338 RUM I shoot 250's and 275's through it.
I shoot 180's to 220's in my 300 win mag better sectional density and better ballistic coef.
than a 338.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,849
Members
169,440
Latest member
HarryUnzu
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top