.338 Bullets

supergrizzly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, RMEF, United Bowhunters of PA
I just came into a large quantity of .338 bullets. The big question is: Do I add a .338 to the cabinet or sell the bullets or both? I really do not need another rifle and with the scarcity of bullets, I feel I should help out those in need but on the other hand, I dread the hassle of waiting on checks to clear before I can ship. Thoughts? Is Venmo an option?
For reference:
3 boxes of 100 each - Hornady Spire Point - open but appear all there - 200 grain
1 box of 50 - Speer Soft Point Boattail - unopened - 225 grain
3 boxes of 50 - Nosler Partition - unopened, 1 open box of 26 - 250 grain
1 - Barnes X Bullets - 1 open box of 43 bullets - 250 grain
1 - Trophy Bonded Bear Claws - 1 open box of 22 - 225 grain

Still deciding my best path but welcome opinions!!

You don't need to buy a new rifle. Just send me all the bullets and problem solved!:D

I just came into a large quantity of .338 bullets. The big question is: Do I add a .338 to the cabinet or sell the bullets or both? I really do not need another rifle and with the scarcity of bullets, I feel I should help out those in need but on the other hand, I dread the hassle of waiting on checks to clear before I can ship. Thoughts? Is Venmo an option?
For reference:
3 boxes of 100 each - Hornady Spire Point - open but appear all there - 200 grain
1 box of 50 - Speer Soft Point Boattail - unopened - 225 grain
3 boxes of 50 - Nosler Partition - unopened, 1 open box of 26 - 250 grain
1 - Barnes X Bullets - 1 open box of 43 bullets - 250 grain
1 - Trophy Bonded Bear Claws - 1 open box of 22 - 225 grain

Still deciding my best path but welcome opinions!!
@supergrizzly
If it was me I would sell them at a reasonable price. It would make a lot of people happy.
To me the 338s are over rated especially the magnums. On the other hand the 338-06 and the 338 Federal are very much underrated.
Bob

Bob, already a big fan of the Whelen and all .35s in general. I figure my .35 Whelen covers me well on anything I might need a .338 for. I may go the sell route at some point. I appreciate all of the comments.

Bob, already a big fan of the Whelen and all .35s in general. I figure my .35 Whelen covers me well on anything I might need a .338 for. I may go the sell route at some point. I appreciate all of the comments.
@suppergrizzly
Good to hear another man of class that has 35s. I hope you are loading it to its full potential. Doing so leave nothing to be desired in the 338s.
Bob

Bob,
I built mine on a 1917 Enfield action with a Douglas Air Gage barrel for just that reason. I load the Sierra 225 BTs when I can get them.
Being a Pennsylvania deer hunter who grew up hunting the big woods country, I also have a soft spot for the .35 Remington (Remington 141) and as a kid fell in love with the look of the Remington 600 Magnum and have one in 350 Remington Magnum.

Bob, I've never owned a 35 Whelen. I'm sure it's a wonderful caliber. I have an old Model 71 Deluxe Winchester in .348 that I cherish. I do own 2 .338 Mags. A Ruger No. 1S, and a Ruger 77 stainless. With .210 grain Nosler partitions, it will handle about anything in North America, as well as 20 head of plains game in Africa I have taken. I own a .375 H&H, and it handles anything heavier. I agree that a .243 makes no sense to me, but know guys that love it on Pronghorn. I can't say there is anything wrong with any caliber, if that is what you want to own and enjoy.

Bob,
I built mine on a 1917 Enfield action with a Douglas Air Gage barrel for just that reason. I load the Sierra 225 BTs when I can get them.
Being a Pennsylvania deer hunter who grew up hunting the big woods country, I also have a soft spot for the .35 Remington (Remington 141) and as a kid fell in love with the look of the Remington 600 Magnum and have one in 350 Remington Magnum.
@supergrizzly
You are a man after my own heart. My first whelen I went the Ackley path using exactly the same action and barrel as you with a Boyd's pepper laminated stock and a timney trigger. It very accurate but I decided the extra 100 to 150 fps wast worth the mucking around so built a standard Whelen on a Savage action. Both great cartridges.
20210120_101002.jpg

Looks like somebody needs a new .338 Winchester Magnum. Probably a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade or Alaskan.

It is all personal preference.
My heavy rifle is a 338 RUM I shoot 250's and 275's through it.
I shoot 180's to 220's in my 300 win mag better sectional density and better ballistic coef.
than a 338.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaZ6110

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.